PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Blur work?!!

gnarlycranium
03-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Okay... I've SEEN video tuts of people making paintings in Photoshop. They make a random smear of color somewhere, and then up comes the Blur tool and they just scrub it around some, and the smear gets blended in all nice and neat.

Why can't I do that? :scream:

Blur only seems to have a noticeable effect on very tiny lines. If I try to use it on anything bigger, if I need to spread out a transition of shading somewhere, it has no visible effect whatsoever. I've got Use All Layers turned off, the Pressure is set to 100%, and the blending is Normal. So what the heck is the deal here??? :annoyed:

jah
03-09-2003, 04:33 PM
do u use some sort of tablet? if yes check ur pressure sensitivity... if not... well... get one :beer:

azazel
03-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Maybe it was not the Blur tool, but Smudge with spacing turned off, hardness set to 0 and opacity around 15-40 %...

JonasNoell
03-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Could I see this video? Maybe I can help...

You don't need a graphic tablet at all, the mouse workes fine, too.

cANt

singularity2006
03-09-2003, 05:41 PM
are u sure u have the correct layer or alpha channel selected when you apply your filter?

jah
03-10-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by cANt
Could I see this video? Maybe I can help...

You don't need a graphic tablet at all, the mouse workes fine, too.

cANt

didn't said otherwise although a tablet eases the work on digital photosho'painting :beer:

Gnarly Cranium check ur brush size, check if ur not working on a masked layer... dunno what could be so check everything... maybe theres something u missed :hmm:

kraal
03-10-2003, 05:16 PM
corect me if i am wrong but i think you are atempting to blur (let's say a shadow) into an area of nothing ness......well that will not work as easily as you are trying ...use the airbrush to extend to a lighter color then blur that....

gnarlycranium
03-19-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by azazel
Maybe it was not the Blur tool, but Smudge with spacing turned off, hardness set to 0 and opacity around 15-40 %...

I can't figure out who did the tutorials!! They're a landscape with a kinda purple background and a bright red sunset, and some kind of bird character....

But on second look I think you're right about that, azazel-- the brush is round, not the teardrop-shape of the Blur tool.

So does anybody have any tips on how to blend things nicely with the Smudge tool... instead of just kinda mushing things around? I haven't had much luck with that.

azazel
03-19-2003, 09:12 AM
http://www.guerillapixel.com/pages/digital_ill_pages/how_smudge.htm

check this link ;)

gnarlycranium
03-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Hot damn! :cool:

I don't even know what the heck that 'spacing' thing is supposed to do, but once I shut it off, I got the smudging to shade stuff just fine!! Finally! Gah!!! Thanks! :wavey:

Marcel
03-19-2003, 06:40 PM
Spacing is the setting that controls how much brushes are placed between two mouse positions. The higher value, the less brushes are placed (and thus the effect is less smooth but much faster).
Turning spacing completely off is nice when you want to smudge with a very big brush. The effect can be less precise though!

gnarlycranium
03-20-2003, 05:59 AM
Ahhhhh...

Of course, if I'm using it to scrub around and blend things, precision is the last thing I want!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.