PDA

View Full Version : Beach concept (in development)

IILooney
04-06-2007, 03:18 PM
This is my first major concept that I will carry through to a fully finished, color illustration. I've done a lot of ref. sketches and concept development. Now i'm at my composition stage.

This is the latest batch of thumbnails I've completed. If any one would offer their advice, opinion, or critique I would greatly appreciate it. My aim at this point is to get a solid composition that I will draw a detailed illustration upon and paint.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/iilooney/ART/2007/beachthumbs2.jpg

Anderson3250
04-07-2007, 07:18 AM
I love doing thumbnails. Are you planning on adding something like a boat or person into the finished picture or are you just planning on redoing one of your thumbnails into a full polished piece? If your just finishing up one of your thumbnails, 16 and 17 stood out to me. In 16, I think it is the balance of the image mixed with the foreground and background contrast. Pretty good for thumbails, im use to seeing scribbles for thumbnails.

IILooney
04-07-2007, 11:07 AM
damn it took a day for this thread to show up from the time I posted it. But anyways. Thanks for the reply, it really helps out a lot to get your input. I actually plan to add a lot of subtle detail that is irrelevant to the thumbnails such as a wave crashing on the rocks, insects in the foreground bushes, a few birds, maybe a whale in the ocean. That will hopefully give it some life, and make it more dynamic and interesting to look at. Those will be added in the next stage when I rough out a few comp sketches of the most interesting thumbnail compositions.

Angrymikko
04-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Thumb 3 looks good composition-wise, but I think it needs something interesting because the idea is a bit too... you know beach, palm tree and sunset.:shrug:

stuh505
04-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Well, I like #5 the most...but I agree with mikko that it needs a subject, like perhaps a pirate ship sailing through this channel.

Angrymikko
04-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah add pirates! Yarr :thumbsup:

IILooney
04-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Yeah add pirates! Yarr :thumbsup:
lol. Thanks for your help. I agree, it does need a subject to get away from the cliche. I'll try to work that out in the next stage.

stuh505 - I appreciate your opinion. I actually thought 5 was among the most interesting too. I'm currently doing reference studies. Hopefully by the time I have finished those I will have determined the thumbanail I'll work off of.

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2007, 06:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.