PDA

View Full Version : Geforce Quadro Vs Geforce 8800

maxshuk
04-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi all,
I'm trying to assembly a new workstation (quatro qx6700, 4gb ram...) and I have one struggle remains...what display card should I buy?
Should I pick the 8800gtx with 760mb and diretcX 10 or the professional Quadro's (let's say, fx3450).
I'm working with Max 8/9.
I should mark that I intend to install games on the workstation...

Help Plz,
Lior

Luminary
04-06-2007, 02:44 PM
GeForce vs Quadro: the discussion with seemingly no definitive answer. Would that I knew. One thing---Definitely do not get the 3450; the 3500 is a much better card.

Stevemoh
04-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Skip all the debate. Its endless. Go to ebay and buy a Quadro 3500 cheap. It will
set you back about $400 and be worth every penny.

CKPinson
04-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Sore subject- I've noticed this discussion at several CG/3D forums and there's never a winner because they are geared differently. I've faced the possibilty that for 3D apps you need a workstation gpu and for gaming a different gpu- which is while I'm building a new rig all 2gether. Just depends on which is more important to you and the amount of tech difficulty you be involved with- if you're just kicking around this CG thing then go with the gaming rig.

_stev_
04-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Sore subject- I've noticed this discussion at several CG/3D forums and there's never a winner because they are geared differently. I've faced the possibilty that for 3D apps you need a workstation gpu and for gaming a different gpu- which is while I'm building a new rig all 2gether. Just depends on which is more important to you and the amount of tech difficulty you be involved with- if you're just kicking around this CG thing then go with the gaming rig.

I need a new video card, and I do not do any gaming whatsoever. Just 3d and video. I don't work with super high res models, but I do a fair amount of dynamics and rendering. Are the current quadro's really worth the extra money, or are the newer GeForce cards sufficient if I want to save money?

Thanks,
Stev

CKPinson
04-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Apparently I've been schooled in other threads and it seems that the G-Force is just fine so basically save the money there and use it on a CPU upgrade- My question was just which G-Force GPU- is it wise to get the top 8800 or the mid 8800 or the 7950? Dunno- I don't really want to shell out over $300 for a GPU anyways so time to research the best G-F for that range. So basically go with the cheaper more power G-F and go with PCIe slots. Although Quadro is tempting because Maya and Nvidia recommend it for 3D I am strongly considering the G-Force for the money.

BillSpradlin
04-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Some new GeForce cards are on the way in the next month or two if you can hold off until those come out, it will push the current cards down in price.

CKPinson
04-07-2007, 02:18 AM
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_geforce.html
Read the Nvidia G-Force/Quadro white sheets and it explains the differences- basically the main difference being the antiliasing (straigther lines :bounce: ) and ssomething about window overlap clipping yadda yadda blah blah- You convinced yet? I'm not- But what do I know. Is it a conspiracy? I think Bush is on this some how.

mlmiller1983
04-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Skip all the debate. Its endless. Go to ebay and buy a Quadro 3500 cheap. It will set you back about $400 and be worth every penny.

Your not kidding. I Got my Quadro FX 3500 for only $385 on ebay and it runs Maya and XSI great. I use it with a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 that I also bought on ebay for $615 brand new retail. I also got my GeForce 7900 GTO for only $185 and a brand new retail Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 I use it with for $410 on ebay as well. You can find alot of good computer hardware on ebay way below retail price. Between the Quadro FX 3500 and the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and the Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 I saved around $1500. The point I am trying to make is that you can save alot of money shopping for computer parts cheaper on ebay.

CKPinson
04-07-2007, 03:00 PM
You probably got a G-Force gpu but they swapped the sticker for a quadro on ebay- Too many screwballs on ebay.

mlmiller1983
04-07-2007, 04:20 PM
You probably got a G-Force gpu but they swapped the sticker for a quadro on ebay- Too many screwballs on ebay.

LOL. Its a geniune quadro video card and the seller I bought it from had the actual picture of the card(and not one taken from the nvidia website) on the auction and a 500+ seller feedback rating of 100%. If thats not trustworthy I don't know what is and of course always pay via paypal.

Signal2Noise
04-07-2007, 04:31 PM

:rolleyes:

Although there is some truth in that, the buyer just has to use common sense and choose a reputable seller. Several months ago I bought a FX3000 on eBay for a mere $250 CDN or so. It was the first computer hardware item I've ever bought off ebay, being paranoid of shady deals, and I'm glad I did. The card still retails for $1700 in my local computer shop.

As for the GeForce Vs. Quadro debate, a GeForce video card will likely meet the needs of any CG/CAD app user and you could save money going that route (if you don't go thru eBay). However, my school of thought is the Quadro line is made for a reason and there will come a time when it's subtle power will be needed.

Additionally, this may sound strange, but I tend to take a CG'er more seriously if they mention they're spec'ing a Quadro card in their system rather than a GeForce. A GeForce spec'd rig indicates a 'dabbler' or hobbyist to me. And I was in that boat too, with a GeForce 6600GT. But then I got serious and upgraded to my present Quadro, thereby truning my main home machine into a dedicated workstation. ;)

mlmiller1983
04-07-2007, 05:46 PM

Although there is some truth in that, the buyer just has to use common sense and choose a reputable seller. Several months ago I bought a FX3000 on eBay for a mere $250 CDN or so. It was the first computer hardware item I've ever bought off ebay, being paranoid of shady deals, and I'm glad I did. The card still retails for $1700 in my local computer shop.

That was the first Quadro Card purchase I had ever made on ebay back in 2004. Since then I had bought a Quadro FX 4000, 3450, and now a 3500 on the auction site. Not to mention the myriad of intel cpus. 3.2GHz Intel P4 Northwood, Two 3.0GHz Intel Xeon Noconas, and the more recent purchase of Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and Intel Core 2 Duo E6700. In fact I can't even remember the last time I actually bought a cpu or video card that wasn't from ebay.:D

CKPinson
04-07-2007, 07:28 PM

As for the GeForce Vs. Quadro debate, a GeForce video card will likely meet the needs of any CG/CAD app user and you could save money going that route (if you don't go thru eBay). However, my school of thought is the Quadro line is made for a reason and there will come a time when it's subtle power will be needed.

Additionally, this may sound strange, but I tend to take a CG'er more seriously if they mention they're spec'ing a Quadro card in their system rather than a GeForce. A GeForce spec'd rig indicates a 'dabbler' or hobbyist to me. And I was in that boat too, with a GeForce 6600GT. But then I got serious and upgraded to my present Quadro, thereby truning my main home machine into a dedicated workstation. ;)
I apologize about what I said reference to Ebay- I know you can find reputable dealers, just had a lesson learned back when ebay first started and have been leary since. I completely agree with you that "dabblers" would more likely sport a G-Force. Work aside, since they provide gear at work- For me it's an artistic form of expression that sometimes pays off but I'll always have the desire to create whether or not it is my primary occupation and whether or not it's using CG. With that said you made a very good point and if anyone is trying to get into 3D and is curious about what GPU to purchase or what rig to build they should consider this. Ask yourself what you intend to achieve in this field? So how is that workstation working out for you? And any recommendations for myself and others wanting to take the plunge?

Luminary
04-07-2007, 09:05 PM
That was the first Quadro Card purchase I had ever made on ebay back in 2004. Since then I had bought a Quadro FX 4000, 3450, and now a 3500 on the auction site. Not to mention the myriad of intel cpus. 3.2GHz Intel P4 Northwood, Two 3.0GHz Intel Xeon Noconas, and the more recent purchase of Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and Intel Core 2 Duo E6700. In fact I can't even remember the last time I actually bought a cpu or video card that wasn't from ebay.:D

So how do you like the 3500? Mostly I do production renderings of sets for industrial shows, but I do get the occasional architectural job. My scenes rarely make it to 1m polys; although in the production stuff I always end up with piles of light sources. Do you run maxtreme? Some seem to love it, and some think it's pointless.

mlmiller1983
04-07-2007, 10:32 PM
So how do you like the 3500? Mostly I do production renderings of sets for industrial shows, but I do get the occasional architectural job. My scenes rarely make it to 1m polys; although in the production stuff I always end up with piles of light sources. Do you run maxtreme? Some seem to love it, and some think it's pointless.

It really depends on the application and the complexity of the scene. I use Maya and XSI which both recommend that you use a quadro fx card. What Software are you using!

EDIT: I see you use 3DS Max. Never used it before so I wouldn't know. Sorry:D

mlmiller1983
04-08-2007, 05:04 AM
So how is that workstation working out for you? And any recommendations for myself and others wanting to take the plunge?

Both my worksations are working like the champ and all the parts are performing flawlessly.

If you are really serious about pursuing CG as a career get a quad-core cpu and a quadro fx card, prefurably Quadro FX 3500. If your more of a hobbyist then a quad-core and quadro setup is overkill, a dual-core cpu with a good consumer card will be a better choice. If you plan on going the Intel route I cannot recommend the Intel Bad Axe 2 motherboard enough, I have two of them and they are great. And I have stated before if you are on a tight budget you can always find good deals on ebay.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention RAM. 2GB at least(3GB is better) and if your on 64bit OS put as much in as you can afford and make sure you buy a good PSU.

CKPinson
04-08-2007, 11:52 AM
About XP/Vista or whatever 64 OS- I've been using XP for the longest and have thrown caution into the wind when getting a new OS that's 64. I've heard alot of mixed reviews about Vista and therefore never made the transition. When I complete my new system I'd like to be able to just throw everything back on it and avoid having to track down drivers and what not plus I have read in the forums at Alias/Autodesk (don't have a direct link) that Maya 7 is not compatible with 64 OS. Would I have to obtain new versions of my software too? I know Optys run 32 and 64 but I'm not sure how considering I've never used them. I'm not familiar with Intel anymore, since I made the switch to AMD I've lost track of the Intel specs. As for the Quadro FX 3500 I was looking at this but considering the price it's quiet a bit more than what I had in mind, but this is the particular one you recommend?>
I was also wondering why no one ever recommends the FireGLs. I've had ATI products for sometime since I had driver issues with Nvidia in the past and was wondering if anyone uses them-

mlmiller1983
04-08-2007, 12:34 PM
About XP/Vista or whatever 64 OS- I've been using XP for the longest and have thrown caution into the wind when getting a new OS that's 64. I've heard alot of mixed reviews about Vista and therefore never made the transition. When I complete my new system I'd like to be able to just throw everything back on it and avoid having to track down drivers and what not plus I have read in the forums at Alias/Autodesk (don't have a direct link) that Maya 7 is not compatible with 64 OS. Would I have to obtain new versions of my software too? I know Optys run 32 and 64 but I'm not sure how considering I've never used them. I'm not familiar with Intel anymore, since I made the switch to AMD I've lost track of the Intel specs. As for the Quadro FX 3500 I was looking at this but considering the price it's quiet a bit more than what I had in mind, but this is the particular one you recommend?>

At the current moment Intel Core 2 processrs, as well as Xeon woodcrests, are the best on the market right now. Thats not to say AMD's upcoming chips won't be good but as of right now Intel is the best bet. The cpu I got was the 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 which is essentially four 2.4GHz cpus across two Core 2 Duo E6600s on one cpu.

If your using Maya 7 then I wouldn't recommend going 64 bit. I use Maya 8.5 and XSU 6 which both support XP 64-bit. I don't plan to switch to Vista until its absolutely necessarry. Workstation cards are not cheap(even on ebay) but paying $400 for one instead of the $1000 retail price still saves you $600. If the Quadro 3500 is too expensive then try the Quadro FX 1500. I recommend the Quadro FX 3500 it is the most bang for the buck and coud meet or beat the performance of the Quadro FX 4500.

CKPinson
04-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Oright- Just mentioned AMD because I've built most of my recent rigs on it but will definitely checkout the quad intel you're referring to. I might still endup using AMD since I have several spare MOB- just depends on the available CPUS/socket because they're 939 pin and I'm pretty sure that is old tech already but it is an nForce SLI MOB (Asus A8N32) and has okay reviews. I have 3 psu one 250, one 450 and one 650w, 2 cases, several HDD sata and ide, 2 Geforce 7600GS and one X800Pro.

tecton3d
04-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Sore subject- I've noticed this discussion at several CG/3D forums and there's never a winner because they are geared differently. I've faced the possibilty that for 3D apps you need a workstation gpu and for gaming a different gpu- which is while I'm building a new rig all 2gether. Just depends on which is more important to you and the amount of tech difficulty you be involved with -
... with my quadro3400 i can play half life 2 (@ full AA, etc. 1920x1280) until my eyes are crossed, the cows come home, or my guiness is gone and I never even told the card it was a "workstation" card - go figure

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2007, 03:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.