PDA

View Full Version : 2007 character modeling reel

bale
04-06-2007, 09:08 AM
finally finished my first character modeling reel. Even though there's somethings I don't like with it, it was a real learning experience. My next reel will be better! Base mesh was modeled in xsi and displacement was done in mudbox.
I'm still trying to figure out my website layout so I just have it on youtube for now and embedded on my website. Any comments and crits welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRaSGMZRT8Y

www.samtran.ca (http://www.samtran.ca)

mttjss
04-06-2007, 10:47 AM
have to say...

this is not bad.. You definitely have the anatomy thing going. Maybe a little rough on batmans cloth cape.
I would say that learning about texturing these and maybe picking up ZBrush or Mudbox, and you are on your way

Good stuff:thumbsup:

Matt -

bale
04-06-2007, 02:06 PM
have to say...

. Maybe a little rough on batmans cloth cape.
I would say that learning about texturing these and maybe picking up ZBrush or Mudbox, and you are on your way

Good stuff:thumbsup:

Matt -

Yeah the cape was one of the things that I didn't really catch till the end. I have all the characters UV layout but didn't texture them. Thanks for the comments.

lildragon
04-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Overall your modeling is descent, but the presentation leaves alot to be desired.

- The really slow rotations just lets me know that you don't have alot of material, but this can be compensated with texture work.

- texture and light the characters, you only have 3, the toughest would probably be the slog

- music please, it was tough to watch with the slow rotations and pans

- it's in desperate need of color

- If you're going for the game industry, turn that slog into a low poly character with normal maps and so on

I would leave this one on the cutting room floor, and go at it again, with some work, you can have a very solid reel. Get creative :)

Good luck!

Cheers,

~t

NyneDown
04-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey man, very nice models. But what Dragon already mentioned, presentation is key. It fell short in that department, but work on those things and you'll have a very solid reel. Keep up the great work man ;)

Radiospank
04-06-2007, 11:48 PM
batman.. i wish it had some texture, and some appropriate music... overallt he reel wasnt too painfull to watch ... at times slow.. but still quality works man... keep it up...also did u do the batman in zbrush?

bale
04-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I don't think I'll be sending this one off. I'll be back in a couple weeks, with a better cut. Just a few questions though.
-I thought people who watched reels hated listening to music or that they turned it down? Thats why i didn't put any in.
-I didn't texture or properly render the scenes,they were just screen captures in xsi, because it was a modeling reel. Is it really competitive these days that flat shaded models spinning doesn't cut it anymore for modeling reels?
Anyways I'll add some more models and texture some , and be a little more creative with my presentation.

lildragon
04-08-2007, 11:45 AM
-I thought people who watched reels hated listening to music or that they turned it down? Thats why i didn't put any in.
-I didn't texture or properly render the scenes,they were just screen captures in xsi, because it was a modeling reel. Is it really competitive these days that flat shaded models spinning doesn't cut it anymore for modeling reels?
Anyways I'll add some more models and texture some , and be a little more creative with my presentation.

- Nope silence is deafening, choose a nice bg song without lyrics. In all honesty, music is the other half of your reel, it sets the mood. The only reason reviewers turn down the music is if it's just annoying. Watch some of the VFS/Ringling reels

- Learn to texture and do basic 3 point lighting, grey shaded screenies won't cut it anymore is this day and age, maybe 5 yrs ago, but not now (if you're gonna do it, at least do a GI studio type render with AO and such). The caveat to that is if you're a stellar modeler. We're talking like an Antropus and Stahlberg level here. And you're not there yet.

On other thing is to throw some concept art in there (if you have any)

Cheers and good luck

~t

mistasam02
04-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Really awesome work man! I agree with what was already said.. kinda slow at times, and could use some tunes.. but very very nice models! This is just extra.. it would be sick to see them move. If you could throw a quick skeleton in them, or make batman's cape blow in the wind.... but nothing big. Great work, just needs that lil something in the presentation to sell it. Good luck!

SithSteve
04-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Always remember to mind your proportions... especially Harley's arms and hands (they were too small compared to the rest of her physique)!
I would have excluded Batman's cape in order to see his back detail.

And I agree that you should throw-in a music track (instrumental).

Overall, solid, but watch those details!

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2007, 05:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.