PDA

View Full Version : skin wont follow bones in maya 8.5

royterr
04-06-2007, 02:57 AM
how can i animated a smooth camera following a character from behind like video game footage.
if i use the camera and aim (and constraining it's locater to my character), the movement seems bumpy if camera aproches the character..

BoostAbuse
04-06-2007, 04:08 PM
If the camera feels bumpy you can always break the translateY constraint of the setup (I attach cameras to characters via a point constraint, then break the translateY connection to prevent the bounce of the camera in an up and down motion). If you find it sways too much, break the connections and pass the other channels into clamp nodes, then clamp the amount of travel the camera is allowed to inherit from the actual character.

-s

royterr
04-10-2007, 05:56 PM
ok, i broke the y connection, and there is still noise in the movement

"If you find it sways too much, break the connections "
you mean they translate y of the camera right?

"and pass the other channels into clamp nodes"
do you mean translate x, z? how can i pass these channels into clamp nodes?

"then clamp the amount of travel the camera is allowed to inherit from the actual character."
didn't get it.

sorry, i am not an animator, i just want a decent camera movement following a chracter just like in a game.

BoostAbuse
04-10-2007, 07:09 PM
are you using a point constraint or a parent constraint?

With the bouncing motion like I said before, just use a point constraint, break the translateY connection of the constraint so it doesn't bounce up and down on you and you should be good.

For the clamp nodes, it's just a matter of using the connection editor to connect the movement of the character to the camera, but limiting how much it can travel. You can tell the clamp node not to let the value increase above 5 for example and it will clamp the value at that.

The other thing you can do is parent the camera, key it at intervals, unparent the camera and re-plot the keys to give a smooth flow. Try the point constraint first though.

-s

yenvalmar
04-17-2007, 01:25 AM
what node do you use to move the character? when i do something like this i make a treadmill walk cycle in trax for the character (trax isnt necessary but its an easy way to cycle and retime cycling walks), and HERES THE IMPORTANT THING parent both the camera and the rigged character to the same mover node. then do any translation of the character from that node, not from the character rig itself.

that way the camera stays perfectly steady in the frame and always the same position relative to the character, which can also move up, down, or anyplace else without disturbing the cam, if you move it from the character rig instead of your "move all" node. and you can move the cam independant of the character if need be. so for example the camera could follow the character to a certain point, then the character goes inside a building while the cam remains behind.. really having the cam parented to the character seems ... not good to me :)

if your character is changing speed and such you can time warp the trax clip so the feet dont slide.. its a bit annoying.. but on the plus side the character animation or even what character you are using, can be changed while preserving your camera move and character move in the scene, which is a real help for commercial jobs where somebody may be revisinc rigs and animating while the layout people are putting shots together at the same time.. in which case i'd also recommend referencing in your rig before parenting it to your move controll.. but i'm getting off topic :)

yenvalmar
04-17-2007, 01:26 AM
crazy net glitch :)

yenvalmar
04-17-2007, 01:27 AM

yenvalmar
04-17-2007, 01:28 AM

yenvalmar
04-17-2007, 01:30 AM
crazy net glitch i just had, hahaha.

yenvalmar
04-17-2007, 01:31 AM
that wasnt a hiccup, that was a net sneezing fit!

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2007, 01:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.