PDA

View Full Version : Medical Animation Demo Reel

mrwilt
04-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Hello folks. I've recently put together a demo reel showcasing some of my medical animations. You can either download it from here: http://www.frontiernet.net/~drewwilt/Demo_Reel_07.mp4

Or you can watch it on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOJ-v8Nd86s

Any comments are welcomed.

Thanks

futurcraft
04-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Hey there..!

Nice soft body dynamics you have in there.. I really liked the way the cells sub-divide & the way you brought in an organic feel in tht shot..

regards to the syringe piercing into the skin, I feel you could do it much better. I suggest you watch the movie "Pulp Fiction" staring John Trivolta. In that, half way through the movie, you have an extreme close-up shot in slow motion where the needle pierces into the skin & you see the way in which the blood gushes into the syringe due to the physics of the difference in pressure inside the cylinder of the syringe & under the skin, resulting in a really fluidish dynamic feel which is what makes one say "WOW"...!! Achieving that kind of realism would really enhance your reel to a completely different level...

I would have also liked to see more realistic skin using sub-surface scattering or which ever other method you feel is best. Basically medical animations are all about re-creating realism be it in the inside of the body or the outside... though requirements also make a difference in drawing that line as to how much realism your client needs..

On the whole you have pretty good content as far as the medical organic animations are concerned.. certain areas the textures are good (like the slimy wet feel inside the canal)..

I would have loved to see how you would visually show the flow of fluids & the way different body fluids mix together under certain circumstances.

Anywayz...

Wish you good luck...!!

Nikhil.

mrwilt
04-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Thank you very much for your comments Nikhil. The budget (specifically time) for the syringe (IV catheters) animations just wasn't enough to be able to do anything too elaborate. I had to model and texture 5 different catheters, animate each one in sync to a voice over, render to 640x480, and composite each one with text in After Effects. The animations ranged from 1:30 to over 2 minutes each. I was given 136 hours to do all of this. I wanted to be able to do more, but it just wasn't possible. The client was very happy with them. The pulp fiction stuff sounds really cool. I'll have to check it out.

Thank you for your well wishes.

Andrew

Gunilla
04-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi, You got some really nice shots there. I especially like the gastronomic voyage, very nice textures. Glad to see some medical stuff here, there aren't so many into that kind of things around.
I'd love to see more from you :thumbsup:

mrwilt
04-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Thank you for your nice comments Gunilla. That project was fun to work on. The entire voyage took you down the esophagus, through the stomach, into the small intestine and finally into the large intestine. There were side trips through the bile duct, to the pancreas and liver. I lucked into doing the medical stuff. The company I used to work for changed their field of focus to doing solely medical content - specifically the pharmaceutical industry. I've updated my portfolio with some still shots of IV catheters.

futurcraft
04-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Like Gunilla said.... I'd love to see more from you...!! It takes both a passion for the medical field & 3D graphics to create such awesome work... Looks like you have both n you can certainly aim for lot higher.!!

Good luck..!

Rgds,

Nikhil.

BigMouth
04-11-2007, 06:20 PM
very cool! it's amazing how you caught the look and feel of the inside of the human body.

mrwilt
04-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Right now I'm working on an animation showing a macrophage attacking a group of bacteria. I'll post some samples as I progress further in the animation. It's going to take a bit figuring out how to animate the pseudopods (tentacles) of the macrophage. :)

Gunilla
04-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Cool!
I have a small simplified sequence of a similar thing, a bacteriophage attacking a bacteria in my demoreel. It will be intersting to see how you solve this.
What software are you using? If it's Max you could probably use a flex modifier for the tentacles to get the swaying feel.

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2007, 07:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.