PDA

View Full Version : i have a video compression question

Br0nZiLLa
03-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Hi people,
I shot some footage on a DV CAM (PAL), edited in combustion..only this is were it gets nasty. I export my shot at pal reso full frames..but i see loads of interlacing. But when i export it HALF of the reso the footage is perfect.
Could this be my pc cant handle uncompressed video? Does dat generate the interlacing? Or what are settins i have to keep an eye on?
Thanks in advance!

Chris
03-08-2003, 10:53 PM
just make sure you have your footage settings correct. If you are working on PAL DV, your fields should be set to lower. Then it should look like frames on your monitor, & and can be rendered as frames.

The reason it would be looking like frames at exactly half size is you would be effectvly be losing every second field when its resized...

Br0nZiLLa
03-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Chris
just make sure you have your footage settings correct. If you are working on PAL DV, your fields should be set to lower. Then it should look like frames on your monitor, & and can be rendered as frames.

The reason it would be looking like frames at exactly half size is you would be effectvly be losing every second field when its resized... hmm thanks!..but i allready set my export to lowe fields..I still dont understand why this would mess up my stuff at full reso..but i will look more carefully at my settings when i get home..
thanks again.
Is it maybe posible to add you on msn?:thumbsup: :wavey:

Chris
03-09-2003, 10:14 PM
I dont MSN unfortunatly, but I'm around here quite a bit :)

You say you have your export settings set to lower field first (by this I'm assuming the render window) but do you have your import set to lower first as well?

By this I mean, if you are working with DV lower field first video, when you import it, you need to have 3 things set to lower field first:

- in the footage settings of your layer, source needs to be set to lower field first.

- in the composite output settings, your composite should be set to lower field first.

in the render settings - you need to be set to lower field first.

If all three are set correctly, you should be fine, combustion will deinterlace the footage, apply whatever transforms, or operators you have, then re-interlace correctly when you render.

Note, that if you are not doing any work like transforms, painting, text operators etc (say you are just doing some brightness/contrast) you dont need to worry about the fields - which will speed up your render - just set everything to no fields & the resulting video file will have the same field order as the source footage... :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.