PDA

View Full Version : Modeling from simple concept art...

Varinder
04-04-2007, 09:03 AM
This question is probably different for every modeler, depending on their skills. But, for the average or above average modeler are you capable of modeling a character from a simple perspective angle conceptual design? That has no orthographic views to model from. Does the modeler absolutely need the orthographic views of the character to model it properly? How much information/detail does the modeler need to model a character properly?

Reason i ask is because, i had an artist design me a couple of characters, but was unable to design the orthographic views of the character. So, now i was curious to know if modelers even need them? Or if modelers are capable of drawing the other views themselves? How common is it for a modeler to draw the other views themselves?

scrimski
04-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Does the modeler absolutely need the orthographic views of the character to model it properly?
He shouldn't.
I rarely do models, but if I usually take ortho views or blueprints(which usually aren't exccatly enough) as a rough guide and try to get as much photos as possible.
There is a video about hot to draw ortho views from perspective views on 3dbuzz.com, if I remember that right.

Varinder
04-05-2007, 05:59 AM
Cool, thanks for the info scrimski, really appreciate it. I'd also like to hear from more modeling artists and their point of view on this matter. I'm still not sure if having just 1 angle of the character is enough for a modeler to model off of. I'm about to start hiring some modelers to model these characters soon, but i'd like to know if that 1 angle is good enough for a modeler to start off from. Thanks in advance.

Leionaaad
04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
"This is not how it was intended to look like!"
"Sure, but look at the drawings you gave me. Is it like the drawing or not?"
"Well, yes. From this view is like the drawing, but if you turn it around looks different than I had in mind."
"How the heck were I supposed to know what you had in mind from one drawing?"

The more info you ask the better and faster the result will be. Sometimes I would go and ask sections if the character looks complex. No wonder they usually model in clay first.
No need for much hassle if is a simple character. But even if you don't give ortographic projections, you should show many sides of the character. And expect some missmatches.

"Yeah, but is a bad modeler if he doesn't uses his brain." probably you say. But he does whatever he wants when he is at home. When on a job, he has to do exactly what somebody else wants. Not everyone is telepatic.

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.