PDA

View Full Version : moving temp folder win2k

mucksmear
03-08-2003, 07:19 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to move the TEMP and TMP folders into a diff partition. Not quite sure how to do it.

I've made it to the System Properties/Environment Variables window and have clicked on the "Edit..." button to edit the system variable.

The System variables window lists TEMP (as well as TMP) as both having the following value:

C:\WINNT\TEMP

However, when I click on the Edit... button, the actual variable is listed as

%SystemRoot%\TEMP

Can I just change the variable to say,

D:\WINNT\TEMP

or will I be messing something up?

-Elliot

singularity2006
03-08-2003, 07:34 AM
no, ur fine in doing that. That "%" symbol I believe is a shorthand notation for "root drive."

I do that to my system all the time when making new partitions and install. It helps clean and organize the system.

elvis
03-08-2003, 07:58 AM
the %SystemRoot% variable is window's way of saying where the core windows files are installed. this is so that if someone changes the default install directory (either the drive or the location) applications installing themselves don't break.

i typicaly change all temporary folders to point to c:\temp just for ease of access. there are a few location syou nned to change, including system and local user settings. local user settings typically default the temporary files location to the "documents and settings" folder for that user, which is (a) a waste as the fill up profile space and (b) difficult for the average user to find.

mucksmear
03-09-2003, 12:53 AM
Ok, thanks elvis and singularity,

I will take a closer look at the local usr settings too.

-E

singularity2006
03-09-2003, 05:43 AM
hey, could u fill me in with some more details about the local user settings? I only run as administrator on my system since no one else uses it.... so i shouldn't see local users anywhere. But if i did, what would i be changing?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.