PDA

View Full Version : some advice needed

loqutos
04-04-2007, 05:23 AM
Ok...I need to create an animation that has over 200 photos mapped to differently sized polygon boxes with bevels. The client is wanting something like....as he calls it....

I want an animation to look like the millenium falcon flying through an asteroid field. But, the asteroid field is this field of 200 photos mapped onto boxes and the camera is the millenium falcon.

he wants each box to move independently, he wants them to rotate on H,P,B, and he wants the camera to fly around them as if trying to avoid being hit by one of the boxes.

Is there a quick way to set this up using some of LW's plugs or is there a plug I could get that would make this animation easier to create in a very short time frame?

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts any of you 'wavers may have on this.

Thanks
Loqutos

plotz
04-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't know about plug ins, but I'd start with animation technique to simplify the process.

With 200 boxes it seems impossible that you'd be able to see every picture on every box. Rather than focusing on positioning every box I'd focus only on "hero" boxes and fill in with the rest. (Which, if I recall, is how the Falcon/asteroid sequence in Star Wars worked.)

I would:

1. Set up my scene by laying out 10-15 "hero" boxes that the camera is going to come close to. Making sure there are dramatic "close calls" where the box nearly strikes the camera.

2. Once I got the main animation laid out I'd start filling in the gaps with a secondary group of boxes, perhaps up to 30 or so, that are visible, but don't come as near to the camera.

4. Once the "hero" and secondary boxes were working I'd use something like point clone + to fill in the deep background with boxes to give the impression of density. These probably wouldn't need pix mapped to them as they'd just be "blobs" in the render.

chikega
04-04-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't imagine you have to have the camera avoid 200 in a row. How long is the animation?

My first thoughts would be instancing the cubes with randomization to their rotations ... HDInstance would be helpful in that regard:

http://www.happy-digital.com/instance.asp

But the camera path will probably have to be hand animated.

jeremyhardin
04-07-2007, 03:02 PM
If you still haven't sorted this...try Mike Green's ImagestoPlanes plugin:
http://dodgy.ghostoutpost.com/Files/MGImagesToPlanesMD.zip

aeres
04-08-2007, 09:11 AM
I agree with Plotz idea about hero boxes. As for the boxes in the distance, you can pre-render a few image sequences of a randomly rotating box, complete with alpha (ie TGA or TIFF).

Create a point cloud with the camera path carved out so none of the points come near to the camera during the animation, and apply sprite HV to the point cloud and load your rotating box sequences to your sprites. As they are far away and constantly rotating, viewer's should be hard-pressed to tell that they are actually 2D sprites.

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2007, 09:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.