PDA

View Full Version : Help Importing .obj

wowbaggin
04-03-2007, 08:06 PM
So I just downloaded the trial version of mudbox and am having an interesting problem. I can't seem to import .obj's from 3d Studio Max. It imports the object and i can tell it's in the scene (as it shows up in my layers tab and object list) but it's completely invisible. I can affect the object but i just can't see what i'm doing.

However, if I take that same .obj that i exported from Max, import it into Maya, then re-export it as an .obj it comes into Mudbox just fine...

Does anyone know if there's some kind of setting in the Max exporter that is thwarting mudbox compatiblility or any way to get around the Maya step?

Thanks.

djorzgul
04-06-2007, 11:24 AM
maybe your normals are inverted, or scale of the object is strange (to small) try making mudbox sphere (or whatever) export-import to max and back to see if that works...

pd
04-06-2007, 12:03 PM
When exporting, check off 'Compress numbers' and 'Relative Vertex numbers'. You also want to make sure that 'faces' is set to 'quads'.

xDarkvisionx
04-07-2007, 05:08 PM
I highly doubt this is your problem but hey you never know it happened to me, you are familiar with the camera controls correct? Try zooming WAAYY in then WAAYYY out, I thought my object was invisible too until I realised somehow it got scaled way down, zooming in corrected this. My two cents ;).

Mindblighter
04-11-2007, 05:15 AM
Does anyone know if there's some kind of setting in the Max exporter that is thwarting mudbox compatiblility or any way to get around the Maya step?

The default exporter settings are fine. It's only a matter of scale like djorzgul and xDarkvisionx said. If you're using something else than the generic max units in your scene, it's likely you've simply scaled your object too huge ;)

phamarus
04-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Try this...
window/properties/camera ....and make sure to mark orthographic,perhaps it will help?
this helped me when importing poser figures as they where invisible.
probably not the Right way to fix the problem, but it might help.

Phamarus

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2007, 02:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.