PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with a tablet in LW ?

saajjj
03-08-2003, 03:55 AM
Hello,
I've just been reading threads about how a tablet allows you to do stuff that's really not easy with a mouse.

One of the really good points was that it's easier to press keys with a pen in hand rather than a mouse.
People said it's used for vertex painting (i don't know what that means).
Is there any plugin/App. which allows me to paint textures directly on my model? I suppose a tablet would be helpful then.

Most importantly, I'd like to know what use is a tablet when modelling?

Cheers

Mangled Poly
03-08-2003, 04:29 AM
Tablets are extremely useful there is only one brand you should invest in as its the only one thats not CRAP ( www.wacom.com ) also as far as painting there is a couple of programs that let you do this the famed new aura 2.5 (just released) and you can also look into 3d paint.. both those apps will let you paint right on the model... however i think the most powerful and best way to do it is to unwrap the polys and paint it in aura, painter, or photoshop. It IS the best way to do it.... The advantage of a tablet is its like drawing, a mouse can be looked at as a log, why would you want to paint with a log?

... just my 2 cents...

saajjj
03-08-2003, 04:34 AM
hey thanks for the reply, I'm going to look into the 'unwrapping method' that you've mentioned. Any tutorials for this? I bought Inside lightwave 7 yesterday so i suppose it's in that too.

Thanks again.

And I'm going to get the graphire2 to check the usability/functionality of tablets in 3d apps before i invest in an intuoso(sp?). Does that sound like a good idea?

Freak
03-08-2003, 06:23 AM
Some people do not like Tablets for Lightwave.
Personally I'd never even consider not using one...
Once you start it's very hard to stop.....

LW does have a setting for either mouse or tablet.

I have a 12x12 Wacom (it's too big)
A 6x8 would do the job next time methinks....

It can be faster to navigate LW with a trackball or mouse....
moving around and clicking buttons etc...

But for Modeling, or textures, photoshop and aura, vertex Paint or anything to do with airbrush, weight maps etc......
you NEED a wacom.

It's so much more intutitive for myself, that i use it everywhere...

Get one! :)

niklas
03-08-2003, 10:57 AM
I had a wacom a while back, and i was using it for LW. I couldnt stand it...
i dragged a vertex..and when i "released" it...it would move ever so slightly so i had to go back and fix it.
Maybe i was just inexperienced, but for the general LW use i would never consider using anything else than my mouse.

saajjj
03-08-2003, 11:46 AM
hmm.. how about for texturing purposes? I figure pressure sensitivity in tablets is the closest thing to actual brush strokes.

So does anyone have a good experience with modelling with a pen.tablet?

Bytehawk
03-08-2003, 12:13 PM
my mouse has so little use it doesn't even sit on my desk (it sits on the pc case (tower) under my desk.

leigh
03-08-2003, 12:18 PM
I personally don't use my Wacom in LightWave, but I use it extensively in Photoshop when painting textures.

koroko
03-08-2003, 03:02 PM
I use extensively my wacom for everything in lw and painting, for modeling also...

Every now and then i get tired of the pen and come back to mouse, but i always prefer the pen..its something to get used to, lw has support for tablet, and u can configure your buttons on the pen to do the same as the mouse with 3 buttons can do...

Every time i use the mouse again i get the feeling of having something huge and big to manipulate..;)

here is something im doing, everything is modelled with the tablet and pen...

http://webs.ono.com/usr002/Koroko/comp01.jpg

______
angel

MadMax
03-08-2003, 07:05 PM
I absolutely LIVE for my tablet. (Wacom)

I can't imagine having ever worked without one.

My biggest gripe with a mouse was trying to tweak something in modeler with absolute precision and finding the mouse just couldn't cut it.

Heck adjusting to a tablet didn't even take much effort.

Rabid pitbull
03-08-2003, 07:23 PM
i have used a tablet for modeling, and i have mixed feelings.. it is very comfortable, but the implicit nature of the tablet makes me crazy!! when you need to rotate the object for instance the button is so close to the edge of the "screen" on the tablet that it is very difficult to use...

are there keys so rotating can be done from the center of tablet? how do you guys get around this?

tablets are great for texturing though, so don't hesitate to buy one for this purpose, and i use a graphire tablet with good results don't let the price fool you.:thumbsup:

Cf!
03-08-2003, 07:45 PM
use the key board shortcuts for rotating panning and zooming. very quick.

I find modeling much faster and easier with a tablet. I usually switch to a mouse in layout though.

Rabid pitbull
03-08-2003, 08:54 PM
:eek:

ok what are the shortcuts for panning rotating and zooming?? i didn't know they even existed!! that changes everything.:surprised

Mike RB
03-08-2003, 09:19 PM
alt+lmb rotate
alt+lmb+shift pan
alt+lmb+crtl zoom

I can't believe you can work without knowing those.

Mike

Mike RB
03-08-2003, 09:19 PM
in layout its a little different, the axis are split and you somtimes need to use the rmb.

dark_lotus
03-08-2003, 09:47 PM
I'm with leigh, use a mouse in lw, and pen to paint!

NanoGator
03-08-2003, 09:56 PM
I wasn't a big fan of using my tablet within Lighwave, though I LOVE it for Photoshop.
I will say this, though: having a tablet that you can rest at an angle to use your tablet is quite useful. I just never got around to making effective use of it for LW specific stuff. I've always found the mouse to be faster.

I do more layout work than Modeler work, though...

spr0g
03-08-2003, 10:35 PM
just out of curiosity... which is the best value for money (student here)... I am looking into buying a tablet (decent quality and make), but dont wanna spend shedloads of money on one.... also... if the tablet is USB, does your non-usb mouse still work? or even a USB mouse for that matter?

also... anyone know where I can get one from that may be cheap?

cheers

Rabid pitbull
03-08-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Mike RB
alt+lmb rotate
alt+lmb+shift pan
alt+lmb+crtl zoom

I can't believe you can work without knowing those.

Mike

thanks alot... embarressed to be so uninformed:blush: now i will have to try using the tablet again.:thumbsup:

Rabid pitbull
03-08-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by spr0g
just out of curiosity... which is the best value for money (student here)... I am looking into buying a tablet (decent quality and make), but dont wanna spend shedloads of money on one.... also... if the tablet is USB, does your non-usb mouse still work? or even a USB mouse for that matter?

also... anyone know where I can get one from that may be cheap?

cheers

i am happy with the graphire tablet i bought a couple years ago. the new graphires are just as good as the old ones, and best of all they are only around $100.

spr0g
03-09-2003, 12:14 AM
cool... I think I will buy one this weekend... just gotta find the lowest price I can :surprised ... any ideas where to look for good prices?

stephen2002
03-09-2003, 12:24 AM
I have a Graphire. I wouldn't want anything bigger, then you would have to move your hand around a whole lot to get anything done. The main reason I like it is that I can do more with less strain on the fingers. Before I woulds start to notice a little bit of cramping after a few days of modeling for most of the day but it dosn't happen anymore. I use the pen for just about everything unless I am going to go back and forth between typing and mousing, in which case the pen is a pain to keep picking up and putting down.

spr0g
03-09-2003, 10:43 AM
what size is your graphire? A5? A6?

also... u know anywhere I could get one from? (cheap but new)

saajjj
03-09-2003, 10:50 AM
hello again.. i didn't expect so many replies within 3 days.. anyway..
the consensus seems to be that for modeling it's a personal preference but it's absolutely useful for texturing purposes. So for that reason alone i'll buy one.
The next question is what size. I've been reading up on sizes as well, and they say that if you're not a big canvas painter then you'd probably be better off with a smaller size.

Now I'm a student, so i'm more or less decided that it will be a graphire2. But what would be a good size? I'm thinking A5, any comments?

Edit: I was just on the wacom site it appears that they only have the graphire2 in 4X5 size.. is this true?

Cheers

stephen2002
03-09-2003, 11:40 AM
yup, the graphire line is their cheapest version. They only make the mouse-pad sized one for that line. Personally, I wouldn't want one bigger, especially if you are a student you probably don't have all that much desk space to be taken up by the tablet.

saajjj
03-09-2003, 11:44 AM
hey thanks,
I guess wacom will have a new (hopefully happy) customer tomorrow :D

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.