PDA

View Full Version : Hansel & Gretel

satyajit
04-03-2007, 12:47 PM
My film Hansel & Gretel is due it's release. I've arranged a special private show of the entire 30 mins film on Youtube.com. It'll be on upto 15th April.

Please follow this link
http://www.satyajitchakraborty.com/?page_id=11

And enter 'hash' as the password.

This is my first film. I've done the entire production except the BG art and concept arts. This was done in a span of 4 months. Comments and feedbacks are welcome.

Satyajit

andy_maxman
04-10-2007, 04:59 AM
darn! 4 months is a solid impressive time to accomplish something of this quality and scale. Kudos! to you and your small team who worked on it. Congratulations!

Rodney nailed quite some useful points on your site.

:)

Flog
04-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Ol' Satyajit,

You always amaze me at the amount of work you can accomplish in the time you are given.
Great job as usual. I'm not to hip on the voiceovers, especially when he sings, bleh, but other than that beautiful work! Always much respect my friend! Great, great work!

I also really love your background artists. I would love to hire them for some work on my film painting textures. :)

picolo
04-10-2007, 11:23 PM
great work i had already seen it on youtube !! congrats :thumbsup:

yazmataz
04-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Well done with the modeling, liked it, but that's all.
The rest will be harsh.

First of all, it's Hansel and Gretel, we all know this story. Making an 30 minute video of this... it should have been fast paced or you could have improvised it in order to make it interesting.

I could only watch the first half, it became too boring. The animation is very slow paced and combined with the monotonous narrating, I just couldn't keep watching. If it wasn't so long it could have been better.

And I think you have avoided doing a lot of the animation by changing the camera angles. For example when a characters talking you either zoomed out or the camera wasn't showing the characters mouth so that you wouldn't have to move his lips.
With those cute characters you had modeled I would have loved to see something other than those slow movements. I think you made it slow paced to create a certain mood in the story, but well I didn't like it at all.

Perhaps if I didn't know the story I would have liked it, who knows.

and you most probably don't deserve this critiscm since its your first movie but if you keep these in mind your future movies could improve a lot.

noobie
04-12-2007, 07:04 PM
yeah imma haveta agree with yaz.. i like the look of the movie but i watched like the first 6mins and it was getting really really really repeative so i stopped...

i also think you need to speed up the animation the part where the girls crying and the little boy goes and grabs a bundle of twigs.. hes gone for like 2-4 seconds and its pretty pointless to me and then he takes another 3-6 seconds to walk inside... we dont needa see every second of everything...the overall animation is way too slow

when the two kids are walking to the hosue with the older guy its a looooooooong shot of them walking extra slow then it cuts to a shot of the mom or something and its another 4-5 secs of something kinda pointless

but yea...nice characters and set design but i think it would be better and would keep peoples attention if u made the actions faster

satyajit
05-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the comments and feedback,

Hansel and Gretel is not a film to showcase my animation skills. I believe I can do better if the production was budgeted to be longer or if it could accomodate more animators and modellers. 4 months, including modelling, rigging, rendering and compositing and post production beside animation means I had a target of 30 secs of final animation per day! So, from the start it's doomed. 30 secs of finished animation means 1 min of animation per day. This was an impossible journey.
It hurt me to cut corners, and put long and boring sequences in the film. So, much so that I myself could'nt bear it.
So, what was this for? Why do a 30 mins film that's not watchable to critics.
I believe this is an humble production statement. In my next film, I'll keep in mind the pace. How to pace the film within the budget. That's what I'm trying to learn.

I know I'm on an impossible journey. And animation film is line a pyramid. And pyramid can't be built by a single person. But in my endevour I've tried and succeeded in putting up a structure. Now, if you support me like you did in this film I can make this pyramid look beautiful too.

See you at my next film WIP.

Satyajit

Flog
05-14-2007, 06:09 PM
I have to say though that you accomplished much of what most folks in the forum could never accomplish.

The task you set out to do and completed in the time you did is incredible. One could only imagine if you were given the time and resources how well you could really do.

Pacing was slow but the look was great and the animation bearable but again in 4 months time to pull off a 30 minute movie. There are folks taking 3-5 years for a 5 minute short even at that quality.

I stand behind you and hope you the best. I really think you should hit a subject matter and work on a more financially viable project in the future. That would be great to see.

There are a ton of cool adventure INdian stories you could draw from that the world has never heard or seen before. I like to use elements close to me, I think you should do the same. Use your countries mythology and play around with your next story! I cannot wait to see what you come up with next. Again very talented especially for the time you had to do it in. I'd like to see people try what you did.

You help to inspire me.

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2007, 06:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.