PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Problem

alphatron
03-08-2003, 01:09 AM
Greetings,

I have an Nvidia Quadro4 750XGL that has just started to display large green vertical lines at boot-up that remain on the screen through the BIOS post and into Windows XP initialization. Once in XP the large green lines turn into pink thin lines that flicker as I move the mouse. It's definitely the card as my old GeForce 3 works fine in the mobo.

Anyone have any idea what could have cased this and how one might remedy the situation?

Thanks very much!

elvis
03-08-2003, 03:15 AM
typically what you describe there is the result of a hardware problem over anything else. most video cards i've seen that get to that point are unfixable.

check your system and card for adequate cooling (the time honered, elvis' patented "ow ****" video card heatsink test works). if possible try adding another fan inside your system to push a bit of air over your card. however as i mentioned it's probably too late to do anything.

you mentioned other cards work, so the good news is its not yoru motherboard. if you can try the quadro in another system, and if the problem is still there RMA the card.

alphatron
03-08-2003, 04:15 AM
that's really not what i wanted to hear :( I got this card for a great price of Ebay.. and it worked perfectly until today. Can't send it back either.

Do you think it could e the card's bios? or perhaps maybe I should try underclocking it?

dvornik
03-08-2003, 05:39 AM
http://www.pny-europe.com/uk/quadbiosup.htm

See if this helps. At least it eliminates the bios theory. To see current bios version go to Advanced>Quadro4.... and look around there (depends on drivers a bit).

Or, in case it's a Compaq
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/evoworkstation/us/download/14438.html

CgFX
03-08-2003, 08:53 AM
I don't think where you got the card will have much impact on if PNY replaces it.

There is information on the card that will say if it is a PNY or Compaq 750 XGL. I would go to PNY as it should still be under warranty since they were just coming out about this time last year.

The only possible problem is if this was an early evaluation board that someone was selling cheaply. Often this can be built with pre-release silicon and that may explain the failure.

Then again, boards can fail and you probably don't know much about the system and environmentals it was exposed to in its previous life.

I tend not to buy used or open-box/returned add-in cards as they can damage your motherboard if they are bad or have been killed by the previous monkey.

alphatron
03-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've really learned my lesson here.

The card didn't come with any warranty, so I don't know if it's covered.

Also, where on the board does it tell me the make? I've looked it up and down and can't find a manufacturer's name anywhere.

Also, this is a 700XGL, not a 750.. those two bioses are for the 750.

Guess I'll just have to opt for GeForce 4 and mod it now to recoup my losses.

Thanks again.

dvornik
03-08-2003, 07:00 PM
http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/body_download_pny.html
http://www.boxxtech.com/Asp/support_3p_detail.asp?ThirdPartyID=75

srich23
03-08-2003, 10:16 PM
this has happend to two of my cards before, a geforce 3 ti 500 and more recent a geforce4 ti4600. the card is broken i called a few computer places around my town, none could fix it, i bought used also, i had to buy a new card (got a geforce4 4200.)

:shrug:

CgFX
03-09-2003, 05:51 AM
Only Dell and PNY sell the 700 XGL.

You need to call PNY and have them replace it. It has a 1 year warranty.

Make PNY tell you they will not or that it is a Dell board before you just give up.

srich23
03-09-2003, 06:53 PM
the warranties are non transferable, it says in the policy thing,

alphatron
03-10-2003, 01:29 AM
How can I tell who the vendor is? I can't see it anywhere on the board.

dvornik
03-10-2003, 03:41 AM
Don't think you can tell the vendor. Assume it's PNY. All of them look as generic as can be.

By the way PNY has recently removed their Quadro support phone number from their site. I'll see if I kept a record of it. I also think you should call and insist and act like you're right. Cause it seems like they didn't really get their act together on this whole Quadro thing anyway.

alphatron
03-10-2003, 04:03 AM
Thanks for the advice.

But where should I tell them I bought the card.. especially since it is without retail box and cables/manual. Should I say I bought it used?

Thanks again.

alphatron
03-10-2003, 04:10 AM
Just checked their site. They don't even seem to have a support email address let alone a phone number.

CgFX
03-10-2003, 03:30 PM
973-515-9700

Tell them you got it through one of a hundred resellers.

Tell them a small regional reseller got it from one of the master distributors.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.