PDA

View Full Version : spring node

goosh
03-08-2003, 01:07 AM
Just wondering how I connect my two ends to a spring node?
(in Maya)

Thanks

G

PS: What I'm trying to do is connect (via a spring) a box to a sphere. so that I can move the box and the sphere will follow.

Octagon
03-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by goosh
Just wondering how I connect my two ends to a spring node?
(in Maya)

Thanks

G

PS: What I'm trying to do is connect (via a spring) a box to a sphere. so that I can move the box and the sphere will follow.

i dont see how springs would be helpful for your task. conceptually springs are used to define physical constraints between particles in order to keep them together in roughly the same form

but what you are trying to do could be accomplished

by frame offset expressions (use setAttr and getAttr with time flag) on the xform (translate, rotatate, scale) of sphere

or by using softbodies (make cube a goal for sphere object and adjust goal weight)

hope this helps.

matthias

dmcgrath
03-09-2003, 06:07 AM
Skin them to bones, and then apply the springs to the bones. The geometry will follow along like you need it to.

goosh
03-09-2003, 07:00 PM
octagon:

I see.

I was playing with XSI and they have a really cool plugin.. and they were using a 'spring' so I went to maya and found a spring node.. so I figured, wow.. cool... same thing ;)

I guess in the end it's the same as soft bodies... I should get more into that area.. I have played very little with it.

G

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.