PDA

View Full Version : The gift - process review

rendermaniac
03-08-2003, 12:36 AM
Just thought while it is still fresh in peoples minds - what did you learn from this challenge? And what would you have changed?

I learnt that I didn't do enough planning and working out what I really wanted to do (hence no submission this time). That was the biggest problem.

Also shoot everything three times... then shoot it again just in case... especially reference shots - you can never have enough.

And that I am a lousy modeller ;) although I know a hell of a lot more about Maya now!

Anyone else?

PS posting this from work - midnight and I still have 3 hours to go.. on a friday night too - joy!

Cogliostros
03-08-2003, 01:06 AM
What I learned? and What I would have changed... :surprised

Actually a lot of things... I can think up all the goodies that I want to do but many of them I didn't know how to do until I dug in and test like hell... I had never modeled anything very complex, so getting through the body, head, and hands was a learning experience, :p then there was rigging... it was my second rig and I had to go re-learn that aspect and my rig was very dirty, no painted weights, just setup some constraints and went for it.

Compositing and Effects animation are more my area of experience and interest... I tested a lot of elements to comp with some made it, some I didn't have time to use... example being Houdini's I3D clouds... I was able to create some great elements to comp as volumetrics... but too slow for now.

Getting the flesh on the bones was something I came up with very late in the game... figured I could take the skeleton model, deleted all the polys, and tweaked the points so that I could stamp metaballs/voxels on them in Lightwave... I was surprised with the results... some things you know how your going to do them, others just reveal themselves...

Things I'd change... omg lots... a better match move, tighter background geo, tighter roto on the live actor, and the addition of particle events... I would have loved to be able to take it into houdini and generate some kick ass pop systems... and I think I will for my reel. Then just lots of tweaks... a lot of messaging the shot is in the comp stage tweaking until you get the look you want...

http://www.meyemind.com/thegift/mar07/challenge_comp_v1_f80.jpg

It was good fun! Thanks for the challenge CGTalk :D

Knut
03-08-2003, 03:23 AM
I learned that without proper planning, only good ideas you don't get very far. I started out rather ambitious, but found my two early concepts way to difficult. Mainly because locations where difficult and too unstable (weather, lighting etc.) Trouble is that when i've never done it before it's a bit hard to plan. But now i know!

Check your camera when shoting and write down every parameter, and check your focus (i did not). And as remdermaniac said; shoot everything three times, and take as many referencepictures as you can. Be sure to take pictures of a lightprobe or at least write down (or draw) the position of main lightsources. That could save a lot of trouble when lighting the cg. (i did not).

When i took pictures of my actor he was really close, so the wideangle lens distorted his face quite a bit. Put your actor at a distance and use a telephoto lens.

Take your time when shooting. I did everything without a storyboard an just 15 minutes in the studio. And all the reference was shot randomly right after that. Not a good idea. Take your time and make a plan.

I think it might be easier to matchmove an animation if the liveplate had large and accentuated movements, like lightfreezes plate. I think all the twiching in my liveplate was really har to match. And since i filmed him head on it was hard to see where his arms was and the arching of his spine.

To make any good progress in this competition, i think it would be good to reserve maybe 1 hour every work day from start to finish on the project. That way one might have a steadier progress and maybe not have to sit 24-7 the last days.

Ok that was a few things from me.

Good night

johs
03-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Yes, things I have learned:
I have to PLAN my shot, and work on it in the entire challenge period, in stead of just the last two weeks. And then I have to work more on the shooting itself, and take some f****** notes and measure important distances and locations from the set. I think I used way to much time trying to match the perspektive, and I kept going away from it because I couldn't match it proberly. So next time, make notes and match the camera first, and get over with it.

Anyway, it has been fun, and I really like to make SFX and compositing, and doing it in a challenge like this only makes it more fun. So I guess I will join in again next time, see you there dudes.
:wavey:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.