PDA

View Full Version : ACT 1.6 Modeling Tool Set Released

Leonard
03-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Well the peeps over at Snoswell Design have done it again. This time, they've released the ACT Modeling Tool Set - a revolutionary new way of modeling (really).

http://www.cgcharacter.com/ACT_MTS.htm

http://www.cgcharacter.com/gallery/images/ACT_MTS_franki.jpg

Check out the videos while you're there!

Leo

talos72
03-08-2003, 01:58 AM
Really neat stuff, but I wish they had a version for Lightwave! :annoyed:

zandernice
03-08-2003, 02:04 AM
Im not sure I understand how it works

BrandonD
03-08-2003, 02:36 AM
It seems like this version is the same as ACT but without the animation capabilities. I wouldn't call it traditional modeling tools, but from what I remember from the beta it has tools you use to create the muscles semi-procedurally.

Reality3D
03-08-2003, 12:21 PM
It seems like metareyes :?

AJ
03-08-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Reality3D
It seams like metareyes :?

I second that.

:surprised

They might want someone to proof read some of their speil:

Not only was is faster than any other method -- by a lot -- but we found that the quality of models we were producing was considerably higher.

The 'by a lot' alone had me laughing for the last ten minutes! :D

Paul L. Ming
03-09-2003, 01:53 PM
"By a lot". A simple mesurement...more than "just a bit", but not quite as much as "a hella bunch".

;)

BoydLake
03-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Really, who wants to model by laying out a couple hundred or so muscles along with a full skeleton? That doesn't seem to simplify the process at all, but rather it creates more layers of complexity to already bloated pipelines.

While modeling you certainly wan't to consider underlying muscles, but the surface should be created directly, not derived as this method appears. That was tried by Reyes way back when, and this doesn't look much better to me.

Nor am I convinced from their screenshots that their procedurally created meshes are "tidy". That screengrab of Frankenstein's head is pretty messy. How about a smoothed edgeview? Couldn't they at least more directly show the mesh topology? And the Dinosaur mesh is smoothed....(or if not, that's a lot of polys for such a blobby dino)....big woop. I want to see the cage, not a smoothed version. Then and only then will I decide if it creates "technically better quality meshes".

C'mon Snowswell and company.....this presentation ain't cutting the mustard if you know what I mean.

xzevlin
03-10-2003, 08:51 AM
The description at the TurboSquid link explains things a bit better as to what it can do, though I'm still heavily confused.

I don't really get the process behind it, I really wish there was a video showing off how to model with it rather than just the puffy/non-puffy guy video or the jiggly dino. The auto-uving looks rather interesting though.

cg960
03-10-2003, 09:08 AM
;)

MDuffy
03-10-2003, 05:19 PM
It looks to me that the only way ACT is used for modeling is to dial up the scaling of the muscles so that the character gets bulkier or skinnier. Essentially you are pushing already existing vertices perpendicular to the underlying muscles you place within the skeletal mesh. From what I can tell using ACT for modeling is only for deforming an already existing skin, not for creating any new geometry. I'm guessing the Frankenstein head was modeled with standard techniques (possibly to look like an average head), then a large complex of muscles was added underneath it, and finally those muscles were dialed up to make the head look like a Frankenstein type monster. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any info,
Michael Duffy
mduffy@ionet.net

MarkSnoswell
03-14-2003, 05:45 AM
There is a whole set of ways you can use ACT for modelling.

(and none of them work anything like MetaReyes or any other iso-surface software)

We typically create a character from a set of tubular parts -- cgTubes.

We then collapse and weld these together and then continue with sub surface deformation with meshes, spheres, cgMuscles -- whatever is fastest and looks good. -- this sculpting is in real time.

At every stage you can use the 2D cross sectional editor.

For the sub surface sculpting you can use just one or however many objects you want at any one time.

Alternatly you start with an existing mesh and you scupt from there...

Whatever way you aproach it we have found it faster and better than most other methods for doing high end character design.

mark

BrandonD
03-14-2003, 07:14 AM
I'm intrigued, though some kind of video tutorial/presentation showing how it works would help clear things up.

MarkSnoswell
03-14-2003, 07:45 AM
We are working on a way for everyone to try ACT-MTS out for free for a month -- full product with manuals training videos -- the lot... and with a chance of winning full registered product !

You will all hear as soon as we are ready -- soon I hope.

Mark

roger
03-14-2003, 04:52 PM
We are working on a way for everyone to try ACT-MTS out for free for a month -- full product with manuals training videos -- the lot... and with a chance of winning full registered product !
That sounds interesting Mark! :applause:
Can't wait to hear about that.

If we don't use 3dsmax can we export the model out to a .obj or a.lwo??

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.