PDA

View Full Version : what makes a good model

wind27382
04-02-2007, 03:26 PM
well basicly I have been modelign for a few quaters now. and I owuld liek to start to produce professional quality models. so i wanted to know what makes a good model. Basicly what will decide if you get the job or if someone will pass you up. I know that alot of this will depend on what your modeling, I was just wondering was there certain rule you sould foolow. such as keeping all polygons 4 sided and uniform across the entire model. and keeping it clean. but are their any things I sould be trying for.

Arcanox
04-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Keeping things 4 sided, and the geometry evenly distributed are probably some of the technical aspects that any modeler should be striving for.

Really though the most important thing to keep in mind is that you should always strive towards expressing an artistic idea through form. It should always be the modelers job to produce something that represents the concept, or the idea as well as they can, within the polylimits. I don't like modelers who throw together some geometry and expect the texture artist to fill in the blanks, thats something you've always got to avoid.

perham3d
04-03-2007, 11:27 AM
if its goin to be animated keep a good topology and make sure there are enough polys where any bends are likely to happen.

also agree with 4 sided things and keeping a general,well spaced out and clean mesh^^

wind27382
04-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Hey thank you for taking time to answer my questions.

MetalcoreMailman
04-06-2007, 08:33 AM
My opinion to what makes a good model or not is this. If you look at something, and other people look at it, and it looks really badass, then it is probably a good model. I mean, If you are happy with it, and not just happy, but you think it is the best you can do at the time, then it is a good model. Thats not to say that someone else out there isnt going to have a better model, but still, just be confident in your work. Also, Detail is always a good idea. The more intricate little details you have, the more time it looks like you spent working on it. Topology is good, but like Ive said before, it is more the end result alot of the time. You can always Nurms subdivide a model and get rid of tris, Like Stahlberg does. I mean, His stuff has some tri's in it, but i mean, look at the end result of it. Thats what you should always strive for. Plus, Ive talked to the guys who hire at EA games, and they say they really like to see realism in work. They say if they see you make a realistic character, that is worth alot more to them than that kid that makes like, some kind of giant 5 headed blob monster. If you can do real, they feel that you will have the confidence to do abstract as well. Good luck

gordons
04-09-2007, 09:57 PM
I have a question about the 4-sided approach - I thought programs like Max were based on triangles. Whenever I import a 3ds model I have to untriangulate it to continue modelling (I'm using c4d). Also, when I export a model to realflow it has to be triangulated. I hope it's not too stupid a question.

MetalcoreMailman
04-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Max and maya arent based on Tris or quads or even 5 sided polys. They can run any or all of the above, and moreso if you for some really weird reason want to. Maya is mostly quads though, because thats what it prefers to make things the default, but as far as max is concerned, it can use either, or, or both, its all on how you mix and match them to make the model look smooth in the end.

4 low
04-13-2007, 04:49 AM
Making a good model isn't just about making a pretty picture. You have to demonstrate that you have an understanding of not only the artistic side, with overall form and shape and proportion, but also the technical side of the software.

A model that looks great in shaded form, but lacks sufficient geometry to be animated, is worthless to your animators in a production envrionment. You need to know, and demonstrate on a reel, that you have an understanding of how to model an "animatable" model. This is one area where having a clean mesh is important, as well as having enough mesh in the appropriate areas.

You also need to demonstrate that you can make a texture-friendly model. While modeling, some things to think about are how it will be unwrapped and textured. Spending all day unwrapping a poorly-modeled character is not fun, especially during a tight deadline. Also understand that good textures can make an decent model look GREAT. And poor textures can make a GREAT model look really bad.

Another technical side is understanding just what needs to be modeled, and what can be achieved through texture mapping. A simple example would be that you don't necessarily have to cut in an actual crack in a piece of armor, when a normal map will suffice.

On the artistic side, you need to know what looks good and is visually appealing. You need to understand form and balance, and other basic fundamentals. You also need the ability to "improv" on a model, or basically create-as-you-go. In a production envrionment, you won't always be given minutely-detailed character sheets. Occasionally you can get as little as a 3/4 view rough sketch and be expected to produce a quality model based from that.

Organization is one area that people don't really discuss much. In a production environment, you most likely will not be the only person opening the model you created, so file structure and object organization is absolutely critical. Things like consistant object and group naming can be a huge help to whoever opens your file next. This is something that can't necessarily show itself on a demo reel, but once in the door can quickly add to your productivity, as well as the productivity of your friends.

To sum up, in addition to what others have said, a good model is something that looks believable, looks like what is desired, and is free of any technical errors come time for materials, animation, lighting, and final rendering.

edit to add: one thing that doesn't always get done is making the model presentable. If you spend a week on a model, only to show it rendered with no background on default lighthing and no shadows, this does nothing for your model. Invest some time into lighting, and otherwise "presenting" your model when you're ready to show it.

perham3d
04-13-2007, 07:10 AM
ummm..........wow :O

excellent post 4 low. very informative.thats probably answered his question now and ended the thread lol

Waha
04-13-2007, 10:34 AM
I have one question, what exactly is evenly spaced geometry? Is it that if you take a face from one part of the model and place it on top of the other, their surface area are the same?

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2007, 10:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.