PDA

View Full Version : Obvious?

Squeakypics
03-07-2003, 11:45 PM
does anyone know a way to align layers to the doccument (I put a layer in the exact centre of the doc). Just about every other app I own can do it but I just cant seem to find a way in Ps?
Any ideas greatly appreciated - even the really obvious ones. (In which case feel free to point and laugh)

jah
03-09-2003, 05:47 PM
yeah

fill a layer with some color (alt+del or ctrl+del), then link it to the layer you want to align... then select the arrow tool ('a' key) and align it :bounce:

Squeakypics
03-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Many thanks.
Not the most straight forward way of aligning to the doccument but hey, it's the 'Shop'.

Huge Regards
Dave

jah
03-10-2003, 03:44 AM
hey

it's the way i know to do it (and been doing since i work with ps)... if anyone have another way to do it please tell me so :D :bounce:

cheers :beer:

Ikarus
03-10-2003, 03:59 AM
Actually all you have to do is select all (Control+A or Comand+A in Mac's), select the layer you want to align, and with the move tool in the options bar you'll have all the align buttons(left, right, top, bottom, middle, etc.) You can have it align to any kind of selection, so if you just select the first half of the document, you can have it align in the middle of that, etc.

You can also align layers to each other, etc. Just link them up, and everything linked will get aligned to the layer selected, or to the selection you have made. You can also use the "distribute" buttons next to the align ones, to distribute layer/objects evenly. You can also align whole layer sets........ALIGN and DISTRIBUTE are very usefull tools that not many people realize are there, or take advantage of them.

One other little trick, if you want to set up guides to the center of the document without doing any mesurements, just select the background layer or any layer that is completely filled up, select all, and EDIT-->TRANSFORM (Control+T or Comand+T) and you'll get the registration mark from when you transform layers.....just drag out guides to the registration mark and they will automatically snap to it. It's quick and easy and no measuring is required.....keep in mind you can do the same thing with other selections, etc.

jah
03-10-2003, 04:04 AM
eheh i knew it :buttrock:

always learning :X

thx Ikarus :thumbsup:

cheers :beer:

Squeakypics
03-10-2003, 09:51 AM
Thank you again. Those are really useful tips and maybe make me like Photoshop a little more :beer:

Ikarus
03-11-2003, 02:08 AM
Glad to help....there are so many small tips and tricks that make working in photoshop alot easier and faster.

Here are a couple more that not everyone knows that I find very useful:

-When using the "move tool" you can select any layer by holding down the CTL key(CMD on a mac) and clicking on the part of the layer on the canvas with your mouse. That way you won't have to go to the Layers pallete everytime and you don't have to keep checking ON or OFF the AUTO SELECT options for the move tool.

-You can link up layers with out going into the LAYERS pallete, by selecting the layer how I just mentioned above and holding down CTL + SHIFT(CMD + SHIT on a mac) for each additional layer you want to link up. You can unlink them by clicking on the layer again.

-You can delete more than one layer at a time.......by linking up all the layer you want to delete, and holding down CTL(CMD on a mac) while you click on the GARBAGE icon to delete the layer.

-When using the type tool you can OK it by pressing CTL + ENTER(CMD + ENTER on a mac) instead of clicking on the check mark on the options.

-If you have more than one type layer, and want to make any of the following changes color/font/size/alignment/antialising to all of the type layers at the same time.....all you have to do is link up the type layer, hold down the SHIFT key and in the options for the type tool make your change ie: color, size, etc.

-You can use your number pad to change opacity for a layer....ie type 5 and the opcaity will be 50, type 55 and the opcaity will be 55. You can use the number pad for any tool that uses opacity...like the airbrush tool, stamp tool, brush, gradient, etc.

-Pressing TAB key will hide the TOOLS pallete and any other pallete that you have on the stage. Pressing "F" will change between FULL SCREEN modes. Using these two tips you can view your work Full Screen without any palletes.(You can press CTL+ALT+0 to fit your work to the screen, or you can press CTL+0 to zoom to 100%)

-Pressing the "+" and "-" keys while holding down CTL+ALT will resize the whole document window, not just the work area.

-You can delete a layer by holding down the "ALT" key and pressing "L" twice......actually now with photoshop 7 you gotta press"L" three times. It's not actually a keyboard shortcut, but it's a quick way to do it....don't know if it works on a MAC

That's all I can remember for now.....I'm sure there are more, that I probably don't know.

Squeakypics
03-11-2003, 09:17 AM
:beer: :beer: :beer:
My cup overfloweth!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.