PDA

View Full Version : Toplogy problem (symmerty)

coldfuse[ofX]
04-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Hey guys, i am having a problem trying to set up a test heas which has been exported from 3dsmax as an OBJ.

Basically the syemmtry function is not working. I have tried to select two single faces adjcent from each other, however it states that it could not find, or set up the Symmetry with the faces i select.

I am selecting single faces, im selecting multiple...nothing works.

Is there something i am not setting up before hand in max?

I have basically cut the head from a model i was working on, so wondering if that has anything to do with it?! or maybe the options i am selecting in the OBJ dialouge box when exporting.

Yea if someone could help me that would be great. Thank you.

oglu
04-02-2007, 01:57 PM
is the head posed..?
if not... you dont need the symmetry funktion...

coldfuse[ofX]
04-02-2007, 02:01 PM
The character isn't posed, the only problem is, if i can't figure out what the problem is now, if i did have a posed character then i still wouldn't be able to do it.

So for now it is ok, but thats not really the point, if you know what i mean. I kinda want to know what i am doing wrong?!

coldfuse[ofX]
04-03-2007, 10:44 PM
so i guess that no one has come across the problem yet?

pd
04-04-2007, 12:39 AM
It's really hard to say anything about this, without some visuals. Do you mind posting some screenshots, showing the head topology and the faces you did select to initialize symmetry?

edit: Maybe this is useful too:
http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/video_details.php?v=881
http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/video_details.php?v=883

maxmare
04-04-2007, 01:28 AM
I had the same problem when I tried it. Maybe it is the UVs, Are they symmetrical as well?

FRimasson
04-04-2007, 06:35 AM
Do you have triangles or ngons in your model. MB handle much models with only quads.

foche
04-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Well...I think I had this problem too, and the only thing i did to solve it was reorient the pivot point in 3dsmax...then it works in mudbox....try and tell if it worked.
cya

coldfuse[ofX]
04-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the reply's good to see people are getting stuck into MB.

Ok well a few things really to update on

PD: those were some great video's thanks for the link

I would just like to say that i can get symmetry to work on the X, Y and Z axis. One thing i had found out and failed to recognise, that my model wasn't Center to its grid, so once i properly moved it, i was able to get Symmetry that way.

But of course if i move it, then it doesnt work which isnt great, so i tried Tanget and well yea still the same problem the Faces i am selecting aren't ajcent.

My UV's were mapped before hand, the mesh should be symetrical, And to reply to FRImasson, i do have some triangles such as the eye's of my character... in saying that this was something that i think maybe a factor. When i export from max as an obj, it doesnt matter what option i choose for the faces to tesilate...triangles, quads or polygons it seems to devide the face's into triangles. Now i think this may be the biggest problem.

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/9526/exampleer6.jpg

lukx
04-06-2007, 04:11 PM
I hvae the same problem, I don't know why when importing into mudbox from max it's selecting triangles instead quads. I'm exporting in quads from max.

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2007, 04:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.