PDA

View Full Version : Custom shaders anoyance with 8.5 satellite

Als
04-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Well, it's a bit anoying, I have to admit, but I just can't make custom shaders work over satellite. I found many tips, and tried many variations, but I'm running out of time, and I'm not certain what I might be doing wrong.
The idea is to have ALL custom shaders in one directory seen by all machines. So I can add more of them, one by one, and installed them only on one place.
Some of the machines, have main user name different, but is that the problem?
All machines have common user, but it's not the one used to install maya on all machines. Satellite is working fine with MR installed shaders, like Mia etc.
Is satellite looking on lokal mel scripts with definitions for shaders or not?
Seting Environment variables didn't really help either.
I guess it's perfect combination of all of the elements which I just can't guess at the moment.
Maybe this depends on the way shader is written itself?
I'm trying to use for example velvet shader, from http://www.digiteck3d.com/pages/sections/tools/toolsMain.html
It's fine as long as I'm not using MR satelitte...

Thanks

Als

ctrl.studio
04-02-2007, 12:56 PM
if you have 'shared' folders where you put your centralized shaders... (ie. they're not on the same machine where the satellite service starts).. you have to allow the service to access those folders.. ie. create an account for that.

under services panel, once you got the satellite service tab open, go to Log-On and there put a user and a password you know it has access to the folder where you have deploied your shaders.

a recommendation is to try to use you r shaders first on local machines folders to see if they works in distributed renderings. there you'll ctrl also that registry vars are engaged correctly and point to the actual path folder; then try the centralized thing.

max

Als
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi,
thanks for help.
Do I have to put mi's and dll's into mental ray satellite directory or under mental ray?
EG:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya8.5\mentalray
or under
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\mentalraysatellite8.5
or both?

I have to setup each raysat service to look up into user which is setup with maya on that machine? Or on user which master is calling from?

Thanks

Als

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.