PDA

View Full Version : Mocap Cameras and Motion Builder?

danb
04-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Is there such a thing as an inexpensive motion capture solution that works with motion builder?

I was looking at the OptiTrak cameras, which are inexpensive, and a .bvh exporter that one of the programmers is creating. I'm thinking of buying the equipment.

Any advice?

mkapfhammer
04-02-2007, 04:26 AM
can you define inexpensive?

a cheaper system might routinely yield noiser data and end up being very difficult and costly to work with (many hours cleaning the data). you'll definately want to look into the quality.

do you need finger/toes/facial capture?

danb
04-02-2007, 04:32 AM
My definition of expensive: Inexpensive: The opposite of expensive, close to being free, without monetary value, could be paid for with water. :)

Just kidding, i have priced a couple motion capture systems. I think i found a price of 50,000 for the VICON systems and 20,000 for another one. Although like i mentioned, the OptiTrak systems seems inexpensive.

I do not need fingers or toes capture. I would like to have facial capture, though.

eddieellis
04-02-2007, 07:21 AM
we use eagle 4 cameras at work and they seem to be the best, we did a test with vicon and they created a unnamed markers slots of every marker, then created another slot if the markers were hiden at any point.. which basically means that the TRC data files were around 1 gb per file...

so i would sugguest either Eagle or Falcon cameras (both from Motion anaysis)

if you just want body data, then you should maybe look at a gypse giro system, ive not seen it working myself, but the only downfalls i can see, the range of motion would be slightly limited, ie no acrobatics in fear of breaking the equipment

Mocapper
04-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Another alternative is the ShapeWrap II system. It sells for $28,500. If you go to www.measurand.com (http://www.measurand.com/) you can request some sample data and more information. It has a MotionBuilder plug-in, and outputs C3D marker data (like the Vicon) and BVH files, both of which MotionBuilder can import.

danb
04-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I just got an email from someone saying that there will be a mocap suite for under $5000.00. Awesome, this is exactly what i'm looking for. Says it will be out with .fbx support this fall. :)

markdc
04-11-2007, 02:04 AM
I just got an email from someone saying that there will be a mocap suite for under $5000.00. Awesome, this is exactly what i'm looking for. Says it will be out with .fbx support this fall. :)

http://www.cgfilmmaking.com/storydetails.php?id=100223

danb
04-11-2007, 02:12 AM
http://www.cgfilmmaking.com/storydetails.php?id=100223

Yup exactly the same info i got. :) Can't wait for this to come out.

CGTalk Moderation
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

CGTalk Moderation
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.