PDA

View Full Version : How is a studio started ???

CADster
03-07-2003, 08:32 PM
talking about this the other night with a few friends .... some here would have to know, because i did not have any answers.

how is it started ?

do you have a few game ideas and you pitch these to .. who ?

do you have money and just start it up (like buying into a McDonalds) ?

and aside from the core team (art, code, sound) who else is 'really' needed ?

do you have to get some of the game working before you can pitch it ..... and again, to who ?

Asorson
03-08-2003, 05:10 AM
Most sucessfull studios are started by people who already have worked in the game industry and are familiar with the development process.

Basically a group of people will strike out on thier own and develop some sort of treatment to pitch to publishers and other investors. How sucessfull you will be and how much work you have to invest in the demo materials often depends on what responsibility you can claim to successful game titles in the past.

For example if you and your team made up a large part of the original design and development team responsible for a hit series of video games that has made a lot of money then you can use that to leverage investors, increasing their confidence that you know what you are doing and can deliver what you promise. They will be much more willing to loosen their wallet for you than someone who has met with limited or no success in the past.

If John Carmack and Paul Steed walked into the publishers office they would have a better chance of getting signed without a demo, concept art, or even a design document than most people would with a completed game under their arm. Experience speaks volumes in this industry. And publishers are more likely to invest in someone with a proven track record, than in someone with a great idea.

It is also very popular for people without game development experience to form amateur teams to develop a game demo, pitch to publishers, and attempt to gain funds for development. Unfortunately they assume that investors will be so blown away by their game concept that they will simply overlook their complete lack of experience and start writing checks. Usually it doesn't happen that way though, much to the dismay of thousands of aspiring game development teams.

So if you really want to form your own game development studio the best and most proven approach is to go to work in the game industry and gain exposure and experience. Learn the ins and outs of game development, make some valuable contacts, and hopefully contribute in a major way to a number of sucessfull titles.

CADster
03-10-2003, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up Erik :)

TRyanD
03-10-2003, 09:50 AM
:applause:

Me and some friends also talked this over before.

My real question is what do you need to have a legal name for your studios, like "Whatever Studios".

Do you have to register it? Pay money for it? I guess this would be similar to starting a buisiness?

makkbru
03-10-2003, 11:19 AM
check out gamedev.net articles and resources. they have a section on the game industry...

Krystman
03-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Major Lee High

Do you have to register it? Pay money for it? I guess this would be similar to starting a buisiness?

I think it depends on where you live. Here in Germany it doesn't cost anything. You just go to your local residents' registration office and register a company where you can choose a 'Fantasy Name' if you whish. It's a thing of 5 Minutes. If you want to go shure that no one else on the world uses this name it costs something but I didn't have to deal with that yet...

But you don't need no official registration to gather a team together and work on games. I mean, what does stop you from calling yourself "Whatever Studios"? :rolleyes:

And why do you want to deal with such datails anyway? I mean, its very unimportant if you have nothing to sell and even IF you produce something, it's still quite the detail... :shrug:

TRyanD
03-11-2003, 12:52 AM
Good Point :O

:shrug:

makkbru
03-11-2003, 09:27 AM
you cant call yourselves whatever you want if youre going to sell the game.... you cant use names that are trademarked (like the coca cola company or microsoft)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.