PDA

View Full Version : Maya or Max - Beginner looking to start.

NMXDesigns
04-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey all,

I'm brand new to 3d modeling, and have wanted to get into it for a long time, but have never got into it soley because i've never actually learnt how to use a program. But I really want to start, and just get on with it it. So I want to know which of the 2 I should go with, Maya or Max. Please don't reccomend any other software, as I know these 2 are probally the biggest, most respected and proffesional programs.

So which is best for the following purposes:

3D Stills - Realistic
3D Stills - Cartoony
3D Animation - Realistic
3D Animation - Cartoony
3D Gaming - Any

Which is easiest to learn? and is likely to be used later in life if someone were to pursue a career in Game developement, or animated film developement?

Thanks!

-NMX

p.s I know this sounds steep, and un thought-out, and in a sense it is but I just want to get on with it, and stop half-starting and then stopping. :thumbsup:

Leionaaad
04-02-2007, 09:22 AM
have you read this? (wich application should I use thread)http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=19315

What to use is fairly subjective so there is no real answer. Both can do everything you wrote.
And Maya and Max are not the 2 most respected and biggest softwares. They are just 2 of the softwares available.

NMXDesigns
04-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Okay then, i've sort of decided on which software i'm going to roll for.
Now a better question, how should I get started? In the long run I think i'm going to go for 3DsMax but for now i'm going to try and get the ball rolling with Maya PLE. Is there any tutorials or sites that teach you from the ground up? Explaining everything you have to do, assuming you don't know the process involved.

Thanks
-nMx

Arcanox
04-02-2007, 01:35 PM
I'd put down my vote for Max if you were serious about working in game development. Even though Maya is used for several games, Max still seems to be the software of choice. Maya is great for film work though and this Maya Nucleus stuff has me very excited as well. I have used both applications before and they are both great. It's a win win situation no matter which software you side with.

I think really the only thing that's going to be the determining factor is the UI. So I'd say it would be best to try out each application and see whether you like the whole command panel setup or command shelves better. You can also check out this video that underlines the differences between the two applications, but I have to say the video is slightly max biased- http://draster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41

NMXDesigns
04-02-2007, 01:53 PM
I'd put down my vote for Max if you were serious about working in game development. Even though Maya is used for several games, Max still seems to be the software of choice. Maya is great for film work though and this Maya Nucleus stuff has me very excited as well. I have used both applications before and they are both great. It's a win win situation no matter which software you side with.

I think really the only thing that's going to be the determining factor is the UI. So I'd say it would be best to try out each application and see whether you like the whole command panel setup or command shelves better. You can also check out this video that underlines the differences between the two applications, but I have to say the video is slightly max biased- http://draster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41

So it seems its Max for Games, and Maya for Film/animation. How is Max for film/animation? Also if you knew how to use Max, and decided you also wanted to learn Maya, how'd the learning curve be?

Arcanox
04-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Like I said, Maya has been used for quite a few games even though Max is the strongest in that sector. It works the same way with film, there is plenty of overlap with 3dsmax in the film industry. Pulling this right off the autodesk website-

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Cinesite)
Bewitched (Sony Pictures Imageworks, Rhythm & Hues)
Fantastic Four (Meteor Studios, Pacific Title & Art Studio)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Digital Dimension)
Cinderella Man (Digital Domain)
Land of the Dead (Spin Productions)
Seven Swords (Digital Pictures Melbourne)
Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl (Hybride Technologies, The Orphanage, R!OT)
Lords of Dogtown (Gray Matter FX)
Stealth (Digital Domain)
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (Cinesite)
The Amityville Horror (Asylum)
Dark Water (Digital Domain)

My experience isn't in the film sector, but I know Max has more than enough tools to produce film work. Max's Mental Ray has all the same rendering features that Maya's Mental Ray has. Max's particle flow is great for effects, and if you're looking for things like fluid simulation etc... there are plenty of plugins like realflow that studios can license for that sorta thing.

To answer your second question, the learning curve isn't that bad. I managed to start modeling some very nice assets in Maya in about two sittings with the program. My experience with Max really helped out in that regard and the biggest challenge was learning slightly different terminology for the tools and the interface. F1 really helped me out there.

NMXDesigns
04-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Like I said, Maya has been used for quite a few games even though Max is the strongest in that sector. It works the same way with film, there is plenty of overlap with 3dsmax in the film industry. Pulling this right off the autodesk website-

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Cinesite)
Bewitched (Sony Pictures Imageworks, Rhythm & Hues)
Fantastic Four (Meteor Studios, Pacific Title & Art Studio)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Digital Dimension)
Cinderella Man (Digital Domain)
Land of the Dead (Spin Productions)
Seven Swords (Digital Pictures Melbourne)
Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl (Hybride Technologies, The Orphanage, R!OT)
Lords of Dogtown (Gray Matter FX)
Stealth (Digital Domain)
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (Cinesite)
The Amityville Horror (Asylum)
Dark Water (Digital Domain)

My experience isn't in the film sector, but I know Max has more than enough tools to produce film work. Max's Mental Ray has all the same rendering features that Maya's Mental Ray has. Max's particle flow is great for effects, and if you're looking for things like fluid simulation etc... there are plenty of plugins like realflow that studios can license for that sorta thing.

To answer your second question, the learning curve isn't that bad. I managed to start modeling some very nice assets in Maya in about two sittings with the program. My experience with Max really helped out in that regard and the biggest challenge was learning slightly different terminology for the tools and the interface. F1 really helped me out there.

Alright thanks, :thumbsup: Pretty sure i'm going to choose Max. Do you know of any nice websites that will allow me to learn Max from the ground up? How did all you guys learn how to do all the wonderful things you do? :shrug:

Thanks

-nMx

aquastealth
04-05-2007, 12:10 PM
In addition I just wanna say choose one but make sure and stick to it.
It really doesnt matter which one you choose as long as you
stay with it until you have learned all the basic concepts of 3d.
Learn as much as you can about modeling, texturing, animation,
lighting, camerawork etc in that application.
RīThen when you have a solid ground to stay on you will be able to switch
to another software pretty easily.

Why you might ask?

Cause Ive done the journey myself for almost a year and Ive been trying a lot of
different 3d apps but by switching a lot you only get confused since every
software has its own tools and vocabulary for essentially the same things.
It doesnt matter what tools you use as long as the result is good so to get an
efficient workflow stay with one app until you master it.
And dont look to much at what software has been used to create a special
picture or effect its not the software itself that creates magic its the user behind it :)

Keep it up/AquaStealth

MetalcoreMailman
04-06-2007, 09:10 AM
As far as easiest to learn, Id say if you are a beginner, Max would probably be the best choice. Seeing as how most schools start off by teaching their students max, and then after that move onto maya for more advanced things. It is really just how you do things. If you are a real organized person, and like a place for everything, max would probably be more suited to you with its drop down menus. Maya is node based in alot of ways, so its more freeform. Honestly, you get the same out of it no matter what program you use. It may be a little awkward to switch from one program to another, but essentially, they are all the same, and it isnt the program that makes the artist, but the artist that makes the program do what they want for Him/her. Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2007, 09:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.