PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Film School

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Dr Gone
03-07-2003, 06:55 PM
I here its pritty good.
But besides the $ expence I would like to hear all the bad things about it, little things, big things, personal experiance or not.

ntmonkey
03-07-2003, 10:28 PM
All I's know is that the work coming out of there is damn impressive. Like someone on one of their student's post said "They must have some kinda talent pill they hand out."

0=NiX=0
03-07-2003, 10:52 PM
I Agree, VFS demo reels are pretty kick ass, but don't go there without exploring your options... I am a Digital Animation Master student at CDIS (Burnanby) and i tellz yah, i see some amazing shit coming out of there too.

As for the cost, be prepared to spend ~$25,000 to $30,000 at either school... That's the cost of suscess baby!

Be ready for a beat down of your spirits tho, the industry is getting VERY VERY hard to get in to... every class that grads just gives you (or anyone) that much more competition (not to mention Mainframe layoffs, they have expirence BOOO)

-Nix

Anim8rJB
03-08-2003, 04:05 AM
Yes, more and more studios are looking to hire people with a few year's experience at least, but many studios are willing to give new graduates a shot if their reel is good enough and if the project is early enough in development to give suitable ramp-up time to the new hire.

J

aazimkhan
03-08-2003, 04:12 AM
I was a vfs student.
yeah vfs is cool...fee is tooooo much.
but its 90% of the students efforts that makes a good reel.
Teachers play a small part in teaching them the software.
but the majority of the stuff is learned thru friends,whihc ofcourse we meet at vfs during classes, labs .

:)

Dr Gone
03-09-2003, 08:36 PM
so no one has anything bad to say at all?:surprised

MikeRhone
03-09-2003, 08:49 PM
I used to go there as well. There were good and bad things when I was there, but from what I understand, most of thats been cleaned up. Its getting REALLY expensive there now. Im still chopping away at my student loans.

But you wanted to hear bad things? The sound guy is god aweful. Im not joking when I say this: He's some old hair-metal has-bin. If you meet him he WILL show you his music video from the early 80's. As a person hes a nice enough guy. I dont want to insult the man personally, but his work is horrific. Be prepared to do you're own sound or start asking for artist's rights to use thier work.

One more thing you should note: At VFS, you're demo reel is still the property of Vancouver Film School when you're done. (Which means they can use your video in whatever they want without your consent or knowledge) It not a big deal, but you should just know that. I think CDIS gives all rights to the student. Call and find out for sure. If you have any specific questions, you can email current students right through the website.

Best ot luck, and I hope this helps.

Mike R

moroten
03-09-2003, 09:05 PM
What about VanArts then? Their fulltime, 12-month classical animation course is $14 K, the CG animation 18 K. A friend who went there said VFS was more crowded with an unreasonably higher fee. He also said Vanarts was great and he got himself a good job on graduating.

So... that inspired me to taking the classical animation course even though I plan to do more CG animation in the future. I figure my understanding and proficiency in animation will improve more when I don't have to "waste" time learning software that will eventually become obsolete and replaced anyway.

So... me taking a classical animation course to improve my CG dito, does it sound crazy - or am I best off taking the CG animation course? Does anyone have any VanArts experience?

MikeRhone
03-09-2003, 09:34 PM
VanArts and BCIT are good, so is Cap College. I've seen/worked with people from all 3.

Heber
03-09-2003, 10:12 PM
vfs there 3d animation program runs 10 months @ 24k (cad) dont quote me on that , but thats less than a year, i think people with a university degree or some deep art background can benefit most from vfs, if your just begining and want to have a bit more time to thoroughly learn all the concepts check out CDIS they go for about 11k a year for there 2 year program so about same price as vfs but 2 years total , i think this is the way to go if you do not have some serious art experience already
-good luck

semuta
03-09-2003, 11:00 PM
I attended VFS for an 8 month stint learning maya, I've heard the full time (XSI) instruction is fairly good but the maya instructors were lacking in any kind of techincal expertise with the software. I don't know how many times our class was interupted when the instructors got to a point and couldn't figure out how to get maya to do this or that. Most of what I learned about maya was either through web sites, or other classmates. As far as I know only 3 or 4 students from my class of 30 got hired. This was around two and a half years ago however and I've heard things have improved somewhat.
but be warned, VFS is a private institution with no real acountability to any regulatory body, ie: they'll let anyone in regardless of portfolio if you've got the cash, this means lots of trust fund babies with no real drive (free computers for rendering)
and once your in and they've got your money you may get the distinct feeling that they're done with you.

anyway, there's my rant, I managed to find work after graduating so I must have gotten something out of it, and I'm sure other people have had different experiences.
hope this helps...

0=NiX=0
03-10-2003, 09:20 AM
CDIS Lets you OWN your demo, yes, but they get rights to use it in any way, THEY WILL ASK YOU tho, VFS will not :)

Let me just say that the stuff i'm learning at CDIS is heavy Tech (maya, xsi) and i have learned how to use both these programs in ways i only deamed of in highschool!

I have no expirence related to VFS cause i'm not a student there, but like i said before, some DAMN pretty stuff coming out of there :)

SHOP AROUND bro!

Dr Gone
03-12-2003, 06:58 PM
a last bump, for the people that missed it.

PlanetMongo
03-12-2003, 09:11 PM
I have a question regarding the remark about Vancouver Film School's lack of requirement of a portfolio.
According to this (http://www.vfs.com/general/admit.htm) , it states that for the 3D animation you need to submit a portfolio of previous work. Do you? Or can you just hand them $24k (in US or Canadian $$?) and get in?

Just wondering, thanks..

semuta
03-13-2003, 03:22 AM
well, they say you need a portfolio, and I supplied one, but judging from some of my classmates, lets just say that a few of them didn't know how to draw, animate, or use a computer... you figure it out. these people also tended to be the ones that figured out the online chat and then proceded to sit and spend they're 24k talking to friends all day, go figure.

Redspective
03-13-2003, 05:59 AM
No offense semuta but I've seen people who can't draw or have much artistic 2d talent period but still come out with killer demo reels that gets them jobs.

Who cares if they can't use the computer at first. Not everyone spends their time using a computer and who knows, maybe they are just going through a career change.

Don't be so quick to judge people dude.

semuta
03-13-2003, 06:03 PM
furio, dude, I agree, actually my portfolio was all 3d work, I kind of suck at drawing. but what I was saying wasn't a quick judgement, maybe a bit of a generalization, but all I meant was there are a lot of people who get into that school with not much in the way of a portfolio, I'm sure some of them blossom and become dope artists, I've seen it, but I also watched a good 1/3 to almost 1/2 of my class spend they're days surfing the web and leaving at 3 every day, several people didn't even finish they're demo reels (some didn't really even start them). I'm not trying to be a prick here. I personally think it sucks that they'll let people in with the cash and not much in the way of a portfolio, Art schools have these requirements for a reason, it's not meant to be elitist, its just that a person is in for a serious up hill battle if they know nothing about computers, and haven't gotten their shit together for what would be considered by most schools a decent portfolio. You don't know how frustrating it is to watch people surf away cpu cycles when you want to be rendering. anyway, I meant no offense

peace
Semuta

seer
07-09-2003, 08:59 PM
One of my friends is planning to go to VFS. So I'm reading this to try to see what sort of environment VFS is.

After reading good and bad stuffs about it, I can only say it all depends on the individual. Schools aren't the 'one ticket' solution to every student's objective. I've studied in another school in Canada which is as famous as vfs, to me, not all their students are good, but the instruction is atrocious. To students who know what to do, it's ok, for those who are still struggling with tech stuffs it's a big no no. I've even witnessed influential students getting instructors to do practically entire projects for them - and being proud about them. These sights are major eyesores...

This just goes to show nonsense do exist - no matter how good or famous a school is. One of my seniors said after he graduated, "Schools are a playground for powermongers and idiots". Important thing is to do necessary preparation before going. And when you get in, just do your thing, learn whatever you can and get out.

Peace to all.

KolbyJukes
07-10-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by rayfusion
vfs there 3d animation program runs 10 months @ 24k (cad) dont quote me on that , but thats less than a year - good luck

12 months at 24k canadian. It used to be 10 months, in recent years they expanded it to 12.

-Kol.

I wrote a big post about VFS recently in another thread, try searching for info about the program around the General Discussions forum.

I think this best describes VFS: you get out of it, what you put into it. Work you ass off, forget your life for a year, and you'll come out with a killer reel. Slack off and you might as well throw 24 grand in the garbage.

I'm happy with VFS so far.

Thong
07-11-2003, 01:29 PM
hi..it's my first time to post in this site.

i'm one who prepare to study 3D in Canada and VFS is one of my school lists. but now i'm thinking of Sheridan college (because many are told it was good in animation).

i want to focused on Visual effect and Compositing and i worked as motion graphic animator for a few years (yeah..Maya is the majors softwared i used).

Can anyone help me to figures out which one is better in Visual effect and Compositing (VFS and Sheridan College)? :rolleyes:

Vandal
07-11-2003, 02:23 PM
For visual effects and compositing, I'd go to VFS.
If you go to Sheridan in their computer animation program, I hear you'll be learning more character animation. That's expecting that you'll be accepted at Sheridan. It's really hard to get into that program. And remember, it requires a 3 year diploma or degree or 4 years art related work experience.

Like many people have said, just give VFS your money and they let you in.

santiago
07-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by KWAK
I think this best describes VFS: you get out of it, what you put into it. Work you ass off, forget your life for a year, and you'll come out with a killer reel. Slack off and you might as well throw 24 grand in the garbage.

I'm happy with VFS so far.

I think that in a way most of life is like this.
My main concern is the money. I can't afford to study in VFS or CDIS. So I have to work several years to be able to afford studying in such an institution. For to plan ahead, I need to condition my life to be able to save that money instead of buying many other useful things in life, like a car for example.

So when someone says that basically you get what you put in, it doesn't say much to me. I don't see how that is worth 24K.
What does 24K get you?
I think that considering that there are many individuals eager to break into the industry, but have a similar situation as me, and studying in such an institution is so expensive, we have a right to know what 24K will offer us. It's obvious that after putting in so much effort to raise the money to study there, we'll give everything we have to make a good reel.

It's a difficult choice, I really wish it didn't have to be this way. If I had the money to be able to not work for a few months, I'd try to learn 3D animation on my own from books and build a good demo reel, but that just won't happen.
There are probably people here that study or studied at VFS that may have things to say about it, but they know that the industry is tight and are afraid to talk negatively because it might hurt their chances at getting a job. I understand that, probably everyone understands that.

But who understands us? So many people with talent that lack the money to study in a 3D animation program and are very concerned about the details of each institution to make the best choices we can.
I'm not asking for ranting, but for more details, what does 24K get you? What's the networking like? How many grads are working in studios? How many are freelancers?
And yes, it\s informative to know about bad things, it doesn't have to be a rant, we know that no institution is perfect.

Vandal
07-11-2003, 04:37 PM
santiago: Go to my school in Windsor, Ontario. St. Clair College - Tradigital Animation program. I'm entering my 3rd year this year and it's a great program.

About $4100 Tuition every year for 3 years. I was thinking about going to VFS, but it's crazy.. too much cash for such a little time. I need time to learn and explore areas.. and this past two years has given me that opportunity.

http://www.stclaircollege.ca/programs/departments/animation/

santiago
07-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Hey Vandal! thanks for the tip, I'll check out their site

Aruna
09-08-2003, 06:01 PM
I was in the VFS 3D Animation and Digital Effects course back in 97, class 10. I think they're into class 50 or so now!

I definitely have to agree with some posts here, that you get out what you put in. When I attended it was only 16k CDN for 10 months, and our class size was 24 students.

How VFS helped me.. I learned a little bit of everything, which was great, because the subjects that I was interested in I was able to delve into it deeper, and learn more (specializing in comping, but took in color theory, composition, design, which helps a lot!). All the instructors, save a few, knew what they were talking about.

The biggest thing I got out of it was the industry contacts. The people I met I still keep in contact with, and a lot of fellow classmates now have jobs in the industry (film, games, tv, etc). Most, if not all the teachers I have kept in contact with have left.. A couple are at EA Burnaby, and one is down here at Pixar... And surprisingly, we still keep in contact!

JasonOsipa
09-08-2003, 08:04 PM
VFS.

When I went it was only 16k for 10 mo, and I only attended for 6 mo, as I got a job in the middle of the 3rd term.

That school is, (as someone above stated) a put in= get out place. I don't know if it's improved much, but when I went there, they had teachers that most students could outpace by the time the course was done, BUT, that didn't take away from the number one fantastic thing about the school: lab time. Once you hit term 3 (or at least it used to be this way) if you were concious, you had a computer to work on.

That was so amazing, because, at the time, it wasn't like Joe Schmoopy at home with his regular machine could run (at the time) Softimage.

The teaching style of the course was also VERY well structured. You had do some classical in the first 2 terms. Now, I'm not a great 2d artist, but I learned a TON about the basics and principles from some super talented classical guys, who really loved what they did.

Then you learned to model. not animate; model. This was so important to do BEFORE animating because you didn't need to tug on anyone's elbow to get help all the time, you knew how models were put together. Even though I never wanted to model, I learned to before animating, and still LOVE it now.

They always had their s**t together, but if you want you can pick and complain about everything. At the end of the day, if you work hard, take criticism, learn from it and really look at yourself and your work objectively, you will walk out of there with an impressive tape.

Again; It at least used to be that way.

MikeRhone
09-08-2003, 08:41 PM
99% of what I learned was on my own. VFS was a great kickstart for me, as i would have never been able to dedicate myself self-paced at home. VFS was good because of the industry contacts.

I was a student back in 1999. Things have changed a lot there I'm sure. I said it previously and I'll say it again: dont trust the job placement numbers. The only people to get work are people that truely devote themselves. Most people I know started off freelancing, and eventually moving into different companies. I know some pretty talented people that still struggle for work.

Keep in mind that when you graduate, you wont be competing against your classmates for work, you'll be competing against the instructors.

Mike R

beej
09-09-2003, 03:28 AM
it is expensive & you dont get far unless you go all out; but i think the real value in vfs was the staff & to a lesser extent the equipment. good equipment is pretty much a given & you'd expect that for the $$. the staff are its greatest asset. most of them are industry pros.

their instruction was good but the experience they have was better. they also ended up being my first contacts into the industry, which turned out to be importantant for me to get my foot in the door..

i think vfs was a good thing.

goosh
05-20-2004, 11:19 PM
I agree with Rhonedog. Most of the stuff you'll learn will be by yourself experimenting and doing things, talking to friends and even reading forums.

It's true the VFS has delivered some really good reels, but trust me when I say there are tons and tons of awfull reels too. It's probably a 10% good to bad ratio. Of course, most of the bad ones don't make it out and nobody sees them, but they are there.

Though one of my biggest issues with VFS is that they care way more about themselves and about you producing something that they can use for their own marketing material and be sent to festivals than helping you get a job.

As a student I think working on a 2-3 minutes little short is really a bad idea. If you see most profesional reels, they have just clips of animations from different shows that they have worked on. I think as a student it would be a much better idea for them to be working on 4 or 5 10 second clips than on a short. You'll get a job a lot easier that way. But that means that VFS can't use it for festivals so they'll fight you and make you work on a short.

All in all it's a good school and in general I would recommend it... I do have a lot of things that I do not agree with the school about and a lot of bad things I could say, but I would rather not expose them and open a big can of worms.

If somebody would like to know more about it in private, you can either mail me or PM me.

Goosh

Day-Dreamer
05-21-2004, 01:07 AM
I am going to centennial college next month.I can't afford to go vfs.:shrug:

foxco
05-21-2004, 03:54 AM
99% of what I learned was on my own. VFS was a great kickstart for me, as i would have never been able to dedicate myself self-paced at home.

i agree fully with this statement and it applies to any school. I am currently in my second year at AIvancouver-burnaby(formerly CDIS) and i have also learned 99% on my own. it all depends on your drive.. your determination and your goals.:D

/.Chad Fox

ps my Signature below is also part of the equation

vickbabu
05-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Hey, some initial thoughts on VFS...
Compared to McGill University (like comparing apples...oranges) it seems like they do care somewhat, atleast to recruit you.

I recently got accepted into the Digital Design, and I had a decent portfolio, but am pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten in OCAD, or Emily Carr, b/c I have no Fine arts background. So I am sure their entry req. are lower.

Has anyone completed this program, and how does it compare to other Graphic Design schools. I am really looking for a Diploma b/c I am self taught till now and am sure I will learn most of it that way. I am also looking for a school w/ a good rep and contacts. What are the job placement rates like, I don't want to go back to freelance for now.

Any thoughts? Attending their fair today, hopefully get better insight after that.

ZenMaster
06-14-2004, 06:32 AM
hey'all !

i am thinking of apply to VFS.

I things is.

I won't have much money like a few grands to survive.
I really don't want to wait till I have 10 grand cuz
it will take too long.

I am Canadian.

I was wondering if some people had survived the intensive year even though they were extremely poor.

Where can i get grants ?

THX a bunch !

3dSnail
08-31-2004, 03:59 AM
Hey, I'm from Australia, and I was thinking about heading to study at VFS or VanArts, but now I'm not sure...Is there only on here from VanArts???

Anyway, try contacting your government, they should help you with any information on grants. Although I think you'll find it hard to get any sort of financial aid, as VFS is not a uni.

Cheers

ZenMaster
09-02-2004, 02:52 PM
hey !

i got accepted in 2d animation and I visited the school last week.

I am starting end of oct. Can't wait !

I liked Vancouver. Rains to much but there's some nice beachers and cheap sushi. (15 for 8$, hehe)

HapZungLam
09-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Is that the talent student makes the demo reel cool? Or the school who turn every newbie into talent to make the cool demo? As I know alot of art school has to get thru an interview in-order to get in. So is that the same case as VFS?

3dSnail
09-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Ok, some people have posted that they have done 99% of the work on thie own? Does "on my own" mean:
a) You have done 99% without any help, ie help from the net, students, teachers, etc
b) 99% of your work was done without the schools resourses

cheers

ZenMaster
09-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Look seriously for what seems to fit your needs. Is it drawing course or art in general or animation, that you want? Tho, animation is hard in general. Everyone is at a different level of development, artisticly. Keep learning in anyway possible. Continu going foward, not backwards.

VFS looks for potential students at any level of development. They try push mostly creativity and basic technique for a 1 year. Afterwards, you fly on your own. They got the latest equipment, computers, DV camera, etc. (You name it! they got it for film production, animation included). Great resources. The teachers have alot and great experience and in diverse areas of the field. They are easy of approach and they will glad to try to help you, possible students, included. I think if you go there with a open mind, that's the way to go.

In last, your education is your responsibility. Don't think the teachers will do everything for you.
You have to challenge yourself and ask alot of questions to get most out of it.

Cheers

3dSnail
09-03-2004, 04:52 AM
"In last, your education is your responsibility. Don't think the teachers will do everything for you.
You have to challenge yourself and ask alot of questions to get most out of it."

You know what zenmaster, thats probably the best reponse ive heard

Cheers

3dSnail
09-05-2004, 05:58 AM
Has anyone taken the Digital Animation (Maya) course and would like to talk about it??

Cheers

goosh
09-07-2004, 11:43 PM
VFS looks for potential students at any level of development.

I don't really agree.. They can claim so, but I don't think it's true. As long as you pay they are happy with you. I've seen a lot of people that they have no chance at all to make it in the industry, have no tallent whatsoever and VFS knows it, but it doesn't matter since they pay.

They try push mostly creativity and basic technique for a 1 year. Afterwards, you fly on your own.

Yep.. you do fly on your own afterwards... which is not what they actually claimed (at least not before I signed in)

The teachers have alot and great experience and in diverse areas of the field.

Not true.. yes, there are a lot of talented experience teachers, eithout a doubnt, but there are also a lot of not so talented and without experience whatsoever teachers too. People that have not worked in the industry at all, which makes a difference when it comes to teaching things

In last, your education is your responsibility. Don't think the teachers will do everything for you.
You have to challenge yourself and ask alot of questions to get most out of it.

Oh yeah... Again, this relates to all schools.. you'll get as much as you put in. The people that went to VFS and worked the hours that were supposed to be worked aren't working in the industry right now. The ones that put 130%, didn't sleep and worked like mad men/women are the ones that are working.

BTW I don't have anything against VFS. But these are my feelings towards the school. I really liked my time there and I recommend it to people since it has been one of the best schools I have attended (around the world) but that doesn't mean that there are things that don't work and things that should change. Always remember it's a private school and money is their first and foremost concern, not you or your education or if you'll get a job afterwards.. It's always them first, you second.

G

harshdesign
09-10-2004, 01:42 AM
Hey, I'm from Australia, and I was thinking about heading to study at VFS or VanArts, but now I'm not sure...Is there only on here from VanArts???

Anyway, try contacting your government, they should help you with any information on grants. Although I think you'll find it hard to get any sort of financial aid, as VFS is not a uni.

CheersHi snail...well i recently joined vanarts (game art n design) and find it pretty good in sense of their course and faculty experience. Also that classes are not that big here (1 on 10). But all i can say is creating an awesome demoreel JUST depends on u. Schools and teachers are there to answer you and teach you...but you r the 1 who has to completely dedicate and suck teachers brain :wise:

So wish u luck on choosing a school and that need same wishes from cg gurus so that after 1 year i come out with a eyecandy demoreel of mine. :)

ZenMaster
09-10-2004, 01:09 PM
I don't really agree.. They can claim so, but I don't think it's true. As long as you pay they are happy with you. I've seen a lot of people that they have no chance at all to make it in the industry, have no tallent whatsoever and VFS knows it, but it doesn't matter since they pay. An art or film school will rarely have concret stats on how many students find jobs. They'll never garantee a job.

It really depends on "where you are in your personal development".

I think it's about, not getting lazy, and trying to work hard and to keep learning.
That's what I thought VFS saled. It's a service.

KolbyJukes
09-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Oh yeah... Again, this relates to all schools.. you'll get as much as you put in. The people that went to VFS and worked the hours that were supposed to be worked aren't working in the industry right now. The ones that put 130%, didn't sleep and worked like mad men/women are the ones that are working.
Amen! I can vouch for that!

sleep. who needs it.

Zack Attack
09-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Im confused my there setup is it a four year program then you get your degree in art ??

3dSnail
09-11-2004, 03:01 AM
Goosh: As long as you pay they are happy with you. I've seen a lot of people that they have no chance at all to make it in the industry, have no tallent whatsoever and VFS knows it, but it doesn't matter since they pay.

So does that mean that after you pay they more or less dont care about you?

cheers

Gkaine
09-11-2004, 04:51 AM
im lookn for a place to stay close to VFS and maybe a room mate starting in feb. can anyone give me any tips or know anyone with a room free ?

3dSnail
09-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Wish I could join ya there, but ill have to wait a year (if i get accepted), so anywho, try the VFS site, it has a list of people who are looking for room mates, and also you can post your own lil' ad.

Cheers

ZenMaster
09-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Here's a place to start http://www.amsrentsline.com/

It's a good website, which should help you.

I am in the process of searching a place to lives.

3dSnail
09-12-2004, 05:40 PM
hey Zenmaster, when are you starting at VFS? By any chance, could i see your work? Im interested in knowing how good the portfolios of students are, before entering

Cheers

Gkaine
09-12-2004, 09:58 PM
if you have aim and would like to see the demo i sent them PM me with your aim name 3dsnail. they wanted to see some 3d and some 2d work. what they told me is this, if you're very strong in one but not the other you can usually get in, if you're strong to mid in both you can get in but if you dont have any of one you cant get in and if both suck you cant get in.

you can see some 3d in my signature as well, here is a self portrait i have drawn to give you an idea of the 2d things i have. http://www.purgatory.net/joe/sp4.jpg

ZenMaster
09-13-2004, 02:45 PM
Like I said before they look for potential students at any level of development.
At VFS, there is student from all over the world. You wont be seeing only Canadians. Which I find interresting, since youll be exposure to a variety of cultures and art styles.
I remember from visiting to Sheridan collegue, the students didn<t have has much diversity.
They seem do have one influence.

I dont think seeing my portfolio will help.
If you are ready to work hard and know what you want then nothing will stop you.
You seem to be hesitant ?!

Though, I don<t mind showing you my portfolio
http://www.geocities.com/levallee/pages/portfolioworks.htm

i start at the end of october.

Moose19
10-14-2004, 02:40 AM
How open exactly is the field? I've been looking into the computer graphics field a lot and was wondering what the job availability was like once you graduate? Is it more open in the game design field or the 3d animation? I've been looking at VFS and i saw both programs were offered. I was wondering which of the two programs would most likely land me a job, which one would pay more after, or if both are mixable. For example, could I take the 3d program and get a job as a 3d game designer just as easy as I would if i took the other program? Any light would be greatly appreciated!!

born_to_act
10-31-2004, 10:02 PM
Okay,
well I have been accepted to the Acting Essentials program at VFS and my father does not think it is a good idea at all. I have heard mixed things about VFS. Could someone please tell me what to expect, how the success rate is, and I would really love to come into contact with someone who has taken this program or will be taking it and is looking for a roommate!! Thanks in advance,
Ashley

Gkaine
11-01-2004, 01:46 PM
i am not sure how many acting majors you're going to find here. but their cg program is outstanding

leTigre
11-05-2004, 02:28 AM
Hello all, this is my first post here, and Im hoping you all could help me out with a few questions. Im seriously looking at applying to VFS, specifically the 3D animation course, Im not looking for a debate on how good the school is but some general questions about the school and schools like it in general.

I was wondering how much prior knowledge a person should have going into it. I really enjoy drawing, but don't consider myself an excellent artist. I do alot of doodling coming up with creative and intresting ideas. I have extensive knowledge with photoshop with textures and creating original, mainly enviormental, images with that.

As far as 3D design goes, im very limited. Im basically just teaching my self stuff, I gone through a few tutorials, but haven't found anything that realy allows me to advance my knowleadge. I do absolutly love it, it without a doubt what I want to do. I spent a year in computer science at a university, but know thats not what I want to do.

Im just really looking to gain an understanding of where a person should be heading into such a school. (obviously as knowledgable as possible) How much prior 3D experince do you NEED, and how artistic do you need to be. I have the desire, and I have the work ethic to go, but at what point should a person sit back and wait? When I go I want to be the best after wards, I don't want to walk in and find Im over my head.

Thanks for any response.

ZenMaster
11-05-2004, 05:14 AM
Do you feel ready or not ?

There's nothing more to it.

Prepare yourself. Reasearch what you want and what you will be needing. WHat are your expectations !? Know what you want.

I meet a few students here at VFS that didn't really know what they were getting into.

leTigre
11-05-2004, 05:46 AM
Well I know this is what I want, no question about that. My concern is when students go in how much are they expected to know alreay? I use the maya PLE edition, and have a solid grasp of what is going on, but I can't say am producing great objects.

kenziex
11-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Letigre, You should look into their foundations program. It introduces you into a variety of different subjects, but mainly builds you from the ground up. I just visited VFS a couple of weeks ago and it seemed like a pretty nice place. I'm hearing a lot of different opinions, and I'm thinking of going to VFS in a couple of years. Is it a bad idea to go straight from high school to VFS? And can anyone reccomend other schools, preferably in Canada.

Fred Heys
11-05-2004, 02:09 PM
i was there 2 years ago, and yes it was good fun, there happened to be some very good teachers when i attended but i heard that some of them have gone on to other stuff in the industry.....but who knows...

Aruna
11-05-2004, 05:06 PM
When I attended six years ago (97-98, 3D animation & digital effects: class 10), it seemed that almost anyone could get in, if you had the cash. As well, it was a very intense program, 10 months solid, with full time lab access (which was GREAT). They teach you from the ground up, so in my class, for example, not everyone knew how to even use a computer, or knew how to navigate Windows or Unix well! If you have those skills when you go in, you'll definitely be more prepared for most of the challenges. The biggest plus for me was the fulltime lab access, excellent instructors (unfortunately most of them have left now), and a group of peers that egged each other on to succeed.

Talk to the current students if possible, they will give you a heads up on what's currently going on and how they're learning. Don't just ask one or two, ask a full class or two, and you'll get a much more accurate answer.

ZenMaster
11-05-2004, 07:58 PM
I advise to make your own judgement. Visit the school, if its possible. I flew across Canada.
I told myself if I was going to invest 17, 000$ I should know what I was going to get into.

No one will tell you what you need. Tho, pple can help you.

If you have some question, I will try to answer them. I am in the 2d program and my roommate in 3d. ( I even had a roommate in Acting for a while.)

leTigre
11-05-2004, 10:09 PM
How much prior knowledge of 3D did your room mate have going in? Thats my biggest concern, I dont want to go in and find myself over my head.

ZenMaster
11-05-2004, 11:27 PM
He knows very little! He is interested in animation.

What do you want to achieve at VFS in the 3d program ?
Why do you think VFS is right for you ?

leTigre
11-06-2004, 12:13 AM
What do I want to achieve? I want to go in there and work my butt off and come out as good as I possibly can. I have an intense intrest in both animation and modeling, with modeling as my real desire.

I think its right for me for many reasons, one being the really intense work enviourment with deadlines to meet and it really seems like a tight nite group (from what Ive seen, as far as students go) This is exactly wha I want and need. I want a solid challange, but I want to know that coming out I will, with really hard work, be in a position to be able to present some really good work.

ZenMaster
11-06-2004, 02:04 AM
I understand what you are saying.

What I mean is, what are your personal expectations? What do you see of yourself now and where do you see yourself when you are going to graduate? Where do you want to work ? Games, features films, Special FX, Matte Painter, Animation, etc. What do you think you need to get there? These are questions you need to ask yourself. Don't limit yourself. Do what inspires you. Don't hesitate. Have confidence also in yourself.

You are the only one who will make yourself work hard, challenge yourself and surpass yourself.
When a teacher gives you a assignment do you do only what he says or you'll work hard to make it even better and personal.

What are your ambitions? Maybe your ambitions arn't at the right place. Talk with professionals. They'll give you an idea of what the market is like. Hopefully you'll find what you want. Good jobs aren't easy to find. Really depends on you.

I am learning tons of stuff here every day. It is exciting. I dont sleep anymore. Its nuts. I am fulled with passion not by coffee.

The teachers are all professionals and good.

This month we had lectures from a Disney animators, a fx specialist from Digital domain and Rythum and Hue. The synergie is every active here. More to come also.

Gkaine
11-06-2004, 12:44 PM
i start in febuary. my dream job is to work for blizzard in one of their art depts. my work is going to have to be breath taking when i get done here. i think it will be.

pakdee
11-07-2004, 02:19 AM
hi im from malaysia with diploma in multimedia (majoring in 3D animation & visual effects). im searching for visual effects school in canada rite now. do vfs offer degree program? i already have a dip. what ive read in vfs site, they only offer diploma course. any place in canada that offer degree course?

flamingassmonky
11-29-2004, 04:14 AM
Hey Gkaine,

Im starting up in Feb as well (I put in a deposit to reserve the spot) but Im flying out there in a week or so to take a peek before Im 100% sure.

Im working on looking fora place to live, maybe we could hook up on aim or something sometime.

I feel like a dick, I just started a topic on this before searching, hope it gets closed :(

Anywho, Ive heard a lota mixed things about the school, but within the last few years the 3D department seems to really have taken a great turn.

Just hoping that the teachers can answer my billion questions, Im like that.

So ambition is good? ;)

KolbyJukes
11-29-2004, 02:45 PM
i start in febuary. my dream job is to work for blizzard in one of their art depts. my work is going to have to be breath taking when i get done here. i think it will be.
awesome man! That's great you're finally going there!

good luck.

laber
11-29-2004, 03:31 PM
That's the cost of suscess baby! sorry, but thatīs crap

Fred Heys
11-29-2004, 04:29 PM
........im sure this post has already come up, i wrote about what i thought of VFS, so long story made short, i thought it was worth it and had a good time, mainly its up to the student, however the teachers when i went were great too....that may have changed.

B-Maui
12-04-2004, 07:07 AM
I graduated yesterday, but I`m still in the VFS scholarship program;after one year of hard working ,and no social life at all, after I neglected family, friends, girlfriend; what I have is an animation demo reel with an amateurish sound support.
It weakens the rythm the story and the timing of my animation.
It happens really often!!!

Snej
01-14-2005, 05:09 PM
I just put down my deposit at VFS and I still have to go check the school out before Aug.

What I want to know is do the teachers take an active roll in guiding you through the process of making you reel? What I mean by this is will they tell you if you reel needs changes before you're ready to do your final renders?

What I'm looking for in a school is a place where I can work my ass off but to be coached to make educated decisions about my reel.

Anyone who's going to be in the August 2005 3D animation class send me a pm. It would be good to talk to some future class mates.:thumbsup:

MikeRhone
01-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Snej -

One huge strength that VFS has is that the process of working on your demo reel is VERY guided. Aside from the multiple instructors assistance and approval as part of the curriculum, you can also make time to sit down with instructors just to fire ideas off of. The head of cg Larry Bafia is a very expereinced and knowledgable person to talk to, as is the new VFX head Mark Benard. I know they have a lot of industry contacts that you can poke around at. The head of the 2d campus is probably the best guy to talk to regarding demo reel story ideas. He has strong ties to the studio I work at now, and ha worked on enough projects to know when an idea is a good one or if its going to cack out.

Wow...ok this has come across as a very pro-vfs post, so to counter that... VFS also retains the rights to your demo reel once you've completed it. Somehitng to keep in mind.

lebada
01-14-2005, 06:27 PM
well..the path i HOPE i will be taking is the 4 year BA with honors for animation at Sheridan(since im on the east coast) and on top of that take another 2 courses , 1 year each in CGspecial fx and cg character animation.

thats 6 years total... at about 6k per year..without material costs.. so around 60 grand in total...

heres the fun part... ive been drawing for 1 year and 6 months..so my stuff isnt "amazing" compared to those whove been drawing for at least 4 years... so i dont know if i might get in or not :sad:

leonard-davi
01-26-2005, 02:38 PM
hi guys i want to go to vfs in 2006 so i'd like to get some contacts of some students or future students to get some information .... i'am not canadian so i've gonna need it ....
if u is not canadian to and plan go to vfs .. plz contact me by MSN:leonardodavi@leonardodavi.com
cya

Loukor
01-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm going to VFS on August 2005 ^^ kinda excited to go. By the way I have AIM not MSN but anyways if you want to talk.. my AIM is sk kaos.

Freestyler_56
01-29-2005, 08:37 AM
I think that in a way most of life is like this.
My main concern is the money. I can't afford to study in VFS or CDIS. So I have to work several years to be able to afford studying in such an institution. For to plan ahead, I need to condition my life to be able to save that money instead of buying many other useful things in life, like a car for example.

So when someone says that basically you get what you put in, it doesn't say much to me. I don't see how that is worth 24K.
What does 24K get you?
I think that considering that there are many individuals eager to break into the industry, but have a similar situation as me, and studying in such an institution is so expensive, we have a right to know what 24K will offer us. It's obvious that after putting in so much effort to raise the money to study there, we'll give everything we have to make a good reel.

It's a difficult choice, I really wish it didn't have to be this way. If I had the money to be able to not work for a few months, I'd try to learn 3D animation on my own from books and build a good demo reel, but that just won't happen.
There are probably people here that study or studied at VFS that may have things to say about it, but they know that the industry is tight and are afraid to talk negatively because it might hurt their chances at getting a job. I understand that, probably everyone understands that.

But who understands us? So many people with talent that lack the money to study in a 3D animation program and are very concerned about the details of each institution to make the best choices we can.
I'm not asking for ranting, but for more details, what does 24K get you? What's the networking like? How many grads are working in studios? How many are freelancers?
And yes, it\s informative to know about bad things, it doesn't have to be a rant, we know that no institution is perfect.

Man, I'm with you in this :thumbsup:

private
01-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Don't forget the money you need to spend on living costs while you are studying. Vancouver isn't cheap and it's getting more expensive. Gnomon dvds and banking $22,000 along with a lot of hard work and posting here if you have problems seems like a better, more economical solution. To each their own.

D-a-r-e-k--B-u-b-e-l-a
01-29-2005, 02:38 PM
I went to a community college that no one really knows about.

It was a year long course...approx, 12K. Skilled instructors, but you could almost learn all you need from tutorials and talking here.

I learnt Maya in high school and learnt very little extra from school. I could have have saved my 12 grand and just worked at home. If you can...maybe pick a few cheep classes and do the rest yourself. In the end it really depends on how hard you work and how good your demo reel is. aBesides, most of the time spent in school isn't learning...but working, so you may as well do it at home, spend $500 and buy and educational liscense of maya or xsi and just work at it.

Well, that's what i think at least.

ZenMaster
01-30-2005, 01:57 AM
MikeRhone- Are you talking about Joe G.?

I know he has worled at Bardel on Silverwing with his old friend Kenneth Oppel.

angelitoz
02-04-2005, 02:51 AM
I just checked thw VFS website and it shows a tuition fee of 46k CAD!!.. about 37K US$... this is just too much boys... :rolleyes:

newcenturydsn
02-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Planetmongo- I'm currently in the process of applying to the film school, and they do require a portfolio assessment, however....if you have the now $29,500 dollars to enroll, your chances of being accepted are in the 99 percentile, wether your portfoilio is worth looking at or not.

When I talked to the admissions advisor on the phone, the prime subject was when can i hand over the $2000.00 dollar deposit to secure me a seat in the class for sept, 2005. and this was an exception she made so that i can get in for the 2004 enrollment fee of $26,250.00.

Which does raise my suspicions of once they get their money, are they really done with you......but..... with the stuff that comes out of there, it's hard not to at least consider the $30,000 dollar debt.

newcenturydsn
02-07-2005, 02:12 PM
angelitoz- I talked to the admissions advisor on friday, the current 2005 enrollment fee for the 3d animation course IS $29,500 dollars, you can quote me on that

Gkaine
02-07-2005, 04:56 PM
i visited the school yesterday, alot of great things happening there,i start feb 28th i cant wait! i moved all the way from hershey pa usa to come here, gonna be lots of fun the city seems great

jhs
02-08-2005, 02:48 AM
i visited the school yesterday, alot of great things happening there,i start feb 28th i cant wait! i moved all the way from hershey pa usa to come here, gonna be lots of fun the city seems great

Hey Im Starting to on feb 28th, Im going to take de 3d animation & VFX course, and you?

manacrystal
02-08-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm starting in October for 3D Animation & VFX. What is everyone doing for housing in Vancouver? I'm currently trying to set something up and I'd be interested in hearing what worked/didn't work for everyone.

KOKE
02-08-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm starting in October for 3D Animation & VFX. What is everyone doing for housing in Vancouver? I'm currently trying to set something up and I'd be interested in hearing what worked/didn't work for everyone.

Hey Manacrystal, im also starting that course in October!! :thumbsup:

By the way Im also worried about the housing, specially coming from a far away place like spain.
I think there is something in VFS website about housing, but im waiting to see if I can use the house from a friend of mine that finishes the 3D&VFX course this year.
I think that I will just go there find a roommate and then try to find something near the school (thats the system my friend used).

I hope to see you there.

P.S: My friend told me that the course was awesome, but just be prepared to work real hard.

:D

PHO 75
02-08-2005, 12:45 PM
June 27th start date anyone? I hear that just moving there a few weeks early and hooking up with the students in the same situation is a good way to find something. Can any grads or current students comment on this. Not really too worried about it, just trying to find a place as close to the animation building as possible. Not picky about living conditions but hate commuting. anyone with the same start date let me know.

newcenturydsn
02-08-2005, 01:38 PM
June 27th? it's august 29th.. no? anyways, that's what i'm shooting for as well, i'm actually submitting my portfolio today, although i was accepted a couple years ago but financial problems didn't allow it then. Not to sound like a jerk, but I'm not too worried about getting accepted, however.....If anybodies got them, i'd like to hear what people have to say about VanArts, that's my second choice, but if the course is just as good then what's the point of spending the extra $9,000 grand. I'm wondering if it's like a name brand thing because of the schools reputation.

If there's any opinions on this let me know, it's kinda just decideing where to go, I was accepted to Vanarts as well, and then there's AI of Van but they're more of a general studies school no?

comments please, deciding what to do is racking my brain.:banghead:

Heber
02-08-2005, 01:45 PM
go with vfs ,but i say that because i am a current student and very satisfied with the program (for the most part).
Ive lived in vancouver my whole life so i know people from all these schools . I hear alot of complaints about AI constantly , vanarts doesnt make any noise..but they have a great instructor teaching their 3d program . I say if your really indicisive just look at the work that comes from all 3,
As for finding roomies i say be here a bit early and go to the office and talk to them theres always other students from your same starting term who are looking for other rommates if not then theres also a msg board where people post ads. If i could offer any advice to you guys is " pace yourselves" too many people (myself for one) come on too strong do well but burn out at some point . The first term i started my demo 1 month in i burned out for 2 weeks , didnt get much work done and my work suffered in return i am now back on track but it was hard. So get lots of sleep but when you are in class put on some headphones and focus , the ride is expensive so dont waste any of it, Time passes and before you know it you will be out of here. Best of luck guys :)

PHO 75
02-08-2005, 05:07 PM
newcenturydsn, the program starts up every 2 months. there's a start date this month, early may and the end of june. As for the diference between VFS and Vanarts, I was going through the same thing a while back, trying to decide between the two. I was there to visit the 2 schools 2 months ago and from the tours i was just much more impressed with VFS. The facilities just seemed to be of different calibers. I've heard positives from grads from both schools but when it came down to it I just had to go with the results. The demos coming out of VFS are just more impressive. But then again most is up to you so myabe it doesn't even make a difference.
One question for those who live in that area. Is it possible to get a place downtown for less than 600 Canadian? i'm not too picky about the condition of the place, as long as it's livable.

newcenturydsn
02-08-2005, 05:09 PM
i looked at the demo's for all three and if that's the source for deciding where to go, it's the film school hands down.

not to say anything about anybody else's work, the last thing i am is a critique, but the content for all the vanarts demo's are the same... is there no creative freedom with what you want your demo to be when it's done?
if i was an employer and sat down to watch demo's and the first 5 or 6 were all the same i don't know if i'd bother looking at any other grads from that school...am i wrong to judge?
I guess i take a shot at the film school, i hope i can get the credit and student loans to go...
:surprised

newcenturydsn
02-08-2005, 05:14 PM
pho75- I'd have to agree on the demo's i wonder if i should shoot for the end of june if it means i'm gonna save $4,000. I'm gonna phone addmissions right now.

Oh and on the actual physical dynamics of the two places, i attended both a few years back, and for 30,000 grand a pop, i would expect nothing less.
It's pretty cool inside though eh? Did you get to go down stairs to the 3D department, it's like a whole different universe down there. That is if it's still downstairs?

newcenturydsn
02-08-2005, 05:21 PM
I did just talk to addmissions, unfortunatly it's irrellevant when i start, it's still gonna cost the $29,500. ......ouch!!

PHO 75
02-08-2005, 05:31 PM
I just have a feeling that if they still have spots to fill then they'll work with you to keep you at the old rates. Admissions person that was working with me said I had to get my deposit in by jan 1st to get the old rates but i've talked to 3 other students starting on an even later term who didn't commit til later and still got the old rates. So if the spots are available i think they'll cave. As for the school, I walked through the entire animation building and just really liked what I saw. Seems very top of the line and I heard they just spent a good bit to upgrade a lot of the equipment. But yeah, for that tuition, that's really how it should be.

PHO 75
02-08-2005, 05:32 PM
crap, just saw your post. that sucks

PHO 75
02-08-2005, 05:34 PM
if that's true, what's with the 46,750 canadian nonsense on their site.

newcenturydsn
02-08-2005, 06:21 PM
i never saw no 46,250 or whatever, but you better get a computer made of solid gold for that price when you're done!!

Gkaine
02-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Hey Im Starting to on feb 28th, Im going to take de 3d animation & VFX course, and you?

awsome man see you in class ;)

Gkaine
02-08-2005, 07:48 PM
go with vfs ,but i say that because i am a current student and very satisfied with the program (for the most part).
Ive lived in vancouver my whole life so i know people from all these schools . I hear alot of complaints about AI constantly , vanarts doesnt make any noise..but they have a great instructor teaching their 3d program . I say if your really indicisive just look at the work that comes from all 3,
As for finding roomies i say be here a bit early and go to the office and talk to them theres always other students from your same starting term who are looking for other rommates if not then theres also a msg board where people post ads. If i could offer any advice to you guys is " pace yourselves" too many people (myself for one) come on too strong do well but burn out at some point . The first term i started my demo 1 month in i burned out for 2 weeks , didnt get much work done and my work suffered in return i am now back on track but it was hard. So get lots of sleep but when you are in class put on some headphones and focus , the ride is expensive so dont waste any of it, Time passes and before you know it you will be out of here. Best of luck guys :)

let me start off by saying nice work man, also thanks for the advice. ill remember that, i to have a tendency to go way overboard. i start feb 28th. i was wondering around the school the other day, all the great work by all the students displayed through the halls really has me hyped up to start, i cant wait.

flamingassmonky
02-08-2005, 10:49 PM
i never saw no 46,250 or whatever, but you better get a computer made of solid gold for that price when you're done!!

I think thats an esitimate for living/food/tutition/everything u ever wanna do when u live there. I got an estimate on the phone that its about 40K (since theres a loan program for a solid 40K for everything) but not sure why its an extra 6k on that.

I might be wrong but just a thought

MikeRhone
02-08-2005, 11:15 PM
A tip for new students... Treat your classmates as friends, not competitors. The best industry contacts you will make will be the ones you meet on your first day of classes. Many of my past classmates now hold senior positions around town. When I am looking for work, I talk to them before I even consider putting together a new reel. (I also do my best to return the favor.)

If you are not the social type, really try and force yourself to socialize with others in your class and school. Go out and do something non-3d on the weekend. I know its hard. Do it, you will not regret it.

Also, future students should understand that many instructors are also industry proffesionals, and they are sometimes are asked to recommend ex-students. Did you do all of your work to the best of your ability? Did you goof off in class? Did you treat classmates and instructors with respect? Were you on time? Did you act like you wanted to BE in the class? Keep that in mind next time you're thinking of skipping class ;o)

Best of luck to all you future VFS'ers!!!

--VFS Class 16

flamingassmonky
02-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Mike, its like ur reading my mind... 0_0

Im taking joe out on the town to hook him up because hes shy around girls, so I already made a friend prior to going WOOHOO! He owes me big time... *shakes fist*

PHO 75
02-08-2005, 11:29 PM
I just checked the site, $46,750 is for international students ( like 38,000 US dollars). $29,500 is for canadians. I'm not sure but I thought the tuition had always been the same for everyone.

Loukor
02-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Hello! hmm I am going to VFS this August 2005. Anyone going on August 2005? If so Private msg me ^^. By the way the administrator is great at VFS.. and the demo reels are superb. Oh yea I also forgot to mention.. I am from New york, United States ^^.

Gkaine
02-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Mike, its like ur reading my mind... 0_0

Im taking joe out on the town to hook him up because hes shy around girls, so I already made a friend prior to going WOOHOO! He owes me big time... *shakes fist*
hahah asshole

3dSnail
02-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Hey, just like to add my 10cents, hope its

I was thinking of going to either VFS or VAnArts, as Im sure most here have. VanArts is better, because it has its shit together. VanArts appears (to me atleast) like a rough sketch of VFS. I havent visited the scool,s this is based on what ive seen through the sites and demos.

VFS is very expencive, and if your teachers arent helpful, dont know the program and the princles inside out, and cant teach a dog to shit, then spend your money else where. Teachers are why you go to school, more so than anything else, as they are the ones teaching you. So make sure the teachers that your going to be getting are worth the money.

Also watch out, because when I spoke to the school they soounded like they wanted my money, and couldnt keep deadlines, as they havent called me back like they said they would. I have been to a school where all they want is the money, and I aint going through that shit again.

Two more things Id like to say. 1) Learning 3d by yourself is like trying to learn anything else by yourself. So if you arent able to learn something on your own before, maybe its best to go to school instead. 2) To everyone who says "its what you put into it", your right...but you should be a little more specific. I personally believe its about asking the right questions, doing your work, and sitting back and asking yourself "Am I heading in the right direction?" And if not, ask for help.

So in closing, know what it is you want, find out how to get it (ask people who'd know or in forums), work hard but pace yourself, and if this is what you want to do, get good and sell your ass (by that I mean network, and get your name known, not to become a ho').

Hope this helps...but probably not, :drool:
Cheers

Bartek|3D
02-09-2005, 07:01 PM
I'd like to say a few things about my experience here at VFS:

I'm in class 3D52 right now, and I'm very satisfied. I'm about half way into the program and we're slowly getting started on our short films. Practically all the instructors are super helpful, very approachable and know their stuff inside out!

At the beginning when you get taught all the classical animation skills in the 2D campus, I couldn't believe how much foundation they make you do! I was really impressed that they forced us to learn how to animate by hand first and do the CG stuff later on. We also did alot of character developement at 2D, composition, lifedrawing etc... It was great. In Term 3 (where I am), we don't have any lifedrawing scheduled, but you can always attend classes that are ongoing which is awesome. Oh yeah, you also do a class where we design and sculpt maquettes! That's a fun an relaxing class to have on monday mornings. The instructor is cool, and he's always working on a feature film while he's not teaching sculpting. He was making props for Fantastic Four while I was in class, and it was hella fun talking to him about that. :) Oh, and if you like watching cartoons...you'll be glad to know that in term 1 (I think it was term1?) you'll be sitting upstairs in the theatre every week watching 3 hours of cartoons ranging from the birth of animation to present day during "History of Animation", with an instructor who know anything and everything on the subject. Then in term2 you'll learn all about Film Theory (directors, camera angles, sound etc..) in the other theatre!

Hmm, what else..?! You need to be on top of things all the time, there's no room for slackers in my opinion. If you don't get something right away, you don't have time to wait until you finally understand it down the line, you really need to work it out instantly one way or another. You'll just get bogged down with the basics later on instead on focusing on the important stuff.

If anything else pops into my head, I'll try and post, but overall I think it's worth my money. If you're coming to the 3D Animation & Visual Effects program at VFS, try and figure out whether you want to do an Animation, modeling or visual effects reel before hand. And also try and come in with a story in mind. The more concept work you have done before hand, the better your reel will be. For example, we officially start pre-production in term 4 (2 weeks away), but I've already started to model my main character which will help me alot because I'll be able to focus on doing solid animation instead on focusing on modeling and rigging. Also, if you have a character done and you're going into animation, you can use your own character for all the assignments (ie: box lift, walkcycle, lipsync, take, baseball pitch) and if they turn out kick-ass, you can use them in your demo reel! ;) From what I see, the most succesful students do stuff ahead of time, and if you're doing animation you HAVE to keep your idea simple. No orc armies attacking eachother while lipsynching, with XSI hair and huge explosions! One or two characters in one simple set will do completely. People try and tackle so much, but they don't realize that they won't be able to handle it.

Wow, I'm blabbing away when I should be learning some maya (ugh...so hard to go from XSI to Maya). Anyways, I just wanted to put out a good word about the 3D program at VFS.

Oh one more thing, yes, the tuition did go up. But it wasn't always the same price for internatinal and Canadian students...it was the same number, but in US currency.

If anyone has any questions, just ask and I'll try and answer what I can. Cheers! :bounce:

Gkaine
02-09-2005, 08:02 PM
great post, very informative bartek.

newcenturydsn
02-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Wow Bartek, that's great, thanks for the input, I'm looking more and more forward to coming out there in the fall.

I've heard that before that it's a good idea to be prepared going in, knowing what you ultimatly want to do, as far as animating or modelling or whatever, personally I'm going after Character design, and animation. I have a couple character's I'm working on, but that was one question I did have was how extensive can you get before the hammer drops.
Anyways, looking forward to seeing your reel. Maybe we'll even get to meet if you're still there in the fall.

Cheers

PHO 75
02-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Bartek, from all of your posts I was under the assumption that you're focus is animation. I thought if you focus on animation then you use XSI. Howcome you are swtiching over to Maya. Also, really good post, that answered so many questions for me, probably for a lot of other people in my situation.

newcenturydsn
02-09-2005, 08:21 PM
That's a good question Pho75, I was told you start with Maya in the first three terms and switch over to XSI for the second three?

What's the scoop boss?

Bartek|3D
02-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Well, in term 3 everyone gets a little intro in Maya! That's the scoop :D
But...I still love XSI. It's not very extensive though, it's just an intro. All we're doing is modeling a character (Mike Wazowski-ish), unwrapping, texturing, rigging and weighting him. The visual effects students will be using Maya WAY more than me. I think this is all that I'll be touching here at school. We've been doing everything in XSI, and that's what most animators use for their reel (yes I'm an animator!).

As far as software you learn here at school:

- XSI (we have 3.5 and 4.0 installed, and they're testing 4.2)
- Maya
- Photoshop (I forgot to mention we learn how to paint with Wacom tablets in a Photoshop intro class by painting a portrait of a celebrity. We also textured a head!)
- After Effects
- Adobe Premiere
- Probably more I can't think of now...

When I researched stuff about VFS, I couldn't find any thorough info on detailed things you do in class, so that's what I'm trying to do here
Hope I'm being helpariffic!!! :shrug:

Bartek|3D
02-09-2005, 09:00 PM
That's a good question Pho75, I was told you start with Maya in the first three terms and switch over to XSI for the second three?

What's the scoop boss?

Oh yeah, that's not the case. XSI is the primary program we use, and we don't switch. Unless you want to I think.

Also, yeah, you'll probably end up changing your idea if you have one before starting school. Mostly because you'll probably be able to draw better, and have a better sense of film theory (that's what happened to me). But, write stuff down, draw ideas, and don't stop thinking...because you'll be coming back to your ideas when you start developing a story, trust me! :)
I've thought of so many different ideas since the start, but guess what? I ended up going with the first idea I had, go figure! :scream: (see my sig for the thread!)

Gkaine
02-10-2005, 01:38 AM
this is extremly helpfull thanks again bartek. if you see a 6'2 brown haired guy that you dont recognize wondering the halls in the next coupel weeks be sure to say hi ;)

Bartek|3D
02-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Glad I could help!
When do you start classes, in March? If yes, then you guys are class 3D55 then right?
Oh and by the way, you know that we're moving the 3D campus from hastings st. all the way across down town to the 2D building on burrard?

newcenturydsn
02-10-2005, 04:10 PM
whERE on burrard down by granville island?:eek:

PHO 75
02-10-2005, 04:14 PM
when is this move supposed to happen? Is that pretty far from the old building?

Bartek|3D
02-10-2005, 04:31 PM
We're moving just after Feb.28th between terms. And yeah, it's near Granville island:

1380 Burrard St.

http://mq-mapgend.websys.aol.com/mqmapgend?MQMapGenRequest=FDR2dmwjDE%3byt29%26FDJnci4Jkqj%2cMMCJ%3aHOEvq%3bw1l0za%3a%29uax9a20%26%40%24%3a%26%40%24g%26wzx%26a8x%26ESEKGF%3dTPWIK%2crw1ztl%26%3d2llubng%40%24%3a%26%40%24%3a%26a2%3a

newcenturydsn
02-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Brutal, that's crazy far from the old building!!

And this is where the 3d course is gonna be held from now on? eeeeeeeepppp!!
That's like a whole nother transfer on the freakin bus man, that would be like at least a 30 min hike from the closest skytrain.

Thanks dude

Bartek|3D
02-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Brutal, that's crazy far from the old building!!

And this is where the 3d course is gonna be held from now on? eeeeeeeepppp!!
That's like a whole nother transfer on the freakin bus man, that would be like at least a 30 min hike from the closest skytrain.

Thanks dude

It's not THAT far off! ;)
It's a 20 min walk from the old campus, and if you take the skytrain just get off at Burrard station and catch the 22, 2, or the 44 bus down to the Burrard campus! No biggie. I live in Coquitlam and I take 2 busses, and 2 skytrains and it takes me just under an hour to get to and from school (one way)! :scream:

PHO 75
02-10-2005, 05:51 PM
I live in Coquitlam and I take 2 busses, and 2 skytrains and it takes me just under an hour to get to and from school (one way)! :scream:

Good lord! do most students live that far away? or is this your permanant residence? any advice you can give for finding a place to live close to the school?

Bartek|3D
02-10-2005, 05:58 PM
I live in a basement suite with my wife. It's the best deal so there's no way we're moving! :)
But, I do recommend finding a company that finds apartments to suit your needs. You pay them a small fee (ie: $70) and they usually have some exclusive contacts that are tailored to your needs. You're usually able to find something that's not listed in any newspaper.

Most students live with roommates and are in downtown for decent prices, so it's not that bad.

KolbyJukes
02-10-2005, 06:19 PM
when i was going to VFS they kept saying they were gonna move to that new location on Burrard, so I got an apartment right across the street, turns out we never moved. Good to hear their finally moving...that new building isn't nearly as cool as the old location though.

Gkaine
02-10-2005, 06:27 PM
i just got an email saying my start date is feb 28th still. ive heard it was pushed back to march so i emailed them and they said feb 28th so i hope its saying @ that. im bored and in vancouver !! i want to start class

Bartek|3D
02-10-2005, 06:29 PM
when i was going to VFS they kept saying they were gonna move to that new location on Burrard, so I got an apartment right across the street, turns out we never moved. Good to hear their finally moving...that new building isn't nearly as cool as the old location though.

Yeah, not too many people that I've talked too love the idea of the move. The new building is basically an office building (we have a few floors). The current building has a much cooler design imho.

btw: Kolby, love your work!

Bartek|3D
02-10-2005, 06:31 PM
i just got an email saying my start date is feb 28th still. ive heard it was pushed back to march so i emailed them and they said feb 28th so i hope its saying @ that. im bored and in vancouver !! i want to start class

I dunno how that would be since we end this term on Feb.23rd and come back on Mar.7th?! The move is happening during that time. Maybe your orientation is on that day or something??

newcenturydsn
02-10-2005, 06:55 PM
is there always two week breaks between terms, and are you allowed to use the facilities during that break?

i figured it would be end one maybe get a day off and go back, I would really like to know how this works....:shrug:

Bartek|3D
02-10-2005, 06:59 PM
They combined the spring break time and the time needed for the relocation, that's why we have a long break. Usually it's only a few days extra, so for example, we had thursday and friday off last time, and then the weekend (between terms).

Oh, and they usually wipe out the data on the computers and upgrade stuff during the terms. Because you switch classrooms each term pretty much. During these two upcoming weeks the classrooms will not be accessible...mainly due to the fact that there won't be any classrooms! ;)

newcenturydsn
02-10-2005, 07:03 PM
thanks man, you're being really helpful!

it's good for us guys that don't know how it works quite yet.

Gkaine
02-10-2005, 07:14 PM
orientation is the 21st. ill re email the school about this

Bartek|3D
02-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Just got back from class rep meeting. I'm starting to look forward to the new building a little. The classrooms will have more room, there will be a more "social" atmosphere and....we have windows!!! :)

Anyways, it's looking good! Back to work...

flamingassmonky
02-11-2005, 05:09 AM
Man, my old school had a move in the middle (yes middle) of the flipping summer trimester, and of course me being a tech I had to help, and I had to move myself, oh, and of course, it was during midterms (being the middle of the term and all.) Not only did we move during the shastiest time ever, the animation dept lost space, lost its all hour access, lost our own BUILDING, and we lost control. GAY! Anyways, sorry about the bad tangent, brought back horrid memories *shivers*

Yah, Im stoked to start out at VFS, I found a place to live through bell service (its on the VFS website) And their fee was $100 I think, but yah, they find u the perfect place (hoping so, still gota actually move in on Tuesday) but it was really fast and helpful. Gonna probably be moving in with Joe closer to the new campus in May though, HURRAH FOR THE INTERNET!

BTW- Thanks a shit ton for the advice and outline Bartek, its been loads of usefulness to me. THANKS!

Heber
02-11-2005, 06:28 AM
were moving in my last term!! ergh...better not cause us any probs. Of course i might have a better idea if i attended the class rep meeting...i been trying to catch up on some sleep lately.

angad_jot
02-11-2005, 09:29 AM
even i wanted to join vfs....i have been working on max for the last 1 1/2 years....can i get into vfs for future studies....which software do they teach.....do they teach animation principles in 3d animation programme....i am basically gud at modelling(bikes,cars,interiors,i cant model characters) i wanna learn animation....

flamingassmonky
02-11-2005, 04:01 PM
can i get into vfs for future studies....

yes

which software do they teach.....

XSI (softimage) and MAya, adobe Photoshop, adobe After Effects, adobe Premier

do they teach animation principles in 3d animation programme....i am basically gud at modelling(bikes,cars,interiors,i cant model characters) i wanna learn animation....

Yes and u will.

Bartek|3D
02-11-2005, 06:53 PM
BTW- Thanks a shit ton for the advice and outline Bartek, its been loads of usefulness to me. THANKS!

Hehe, no problem dude! ;)
Glad to see you guys are happy about VFS, see ya soon! :bounce:

newcenturydsn
02-11-2005, 07:27 PM
If nobody minds me asking, how did you afford to go, the only reason i MIGHT be able to go is if i get fully funded from student loans, plus like a 15,000 dollar line of credit. I s that like common way or what?

Gkaine
02-11-2005, 09:14 PM
thats how i did it century

MikeRhone
02-11-2005, 10:26 PM
I saved about $10,000-$15,000 over the course of 3 years, then I got the rest on a student loan (that Im still slowly paying off). I also got t olive at home hwile I was going to school, so food and rent was taking care of. Tighen your belt, its going to be tight

Loukor
02-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Hmm I have a question, I got accepted into VFS for Tradional Arts (1year) and also 3D animations & visual effects (1year). Now.. I asked the admin about 3 times that I wanted to go into 3D modeling and she put me into 3D animatinos & visual effects. She said that it's modeling also and I believe her but just to make sure.. can you guys tell me if it really includes 3D modeling.

MikeRhone
02-11-2005, 11:02 PM
The 3d course teaches all aspects of 3d, including modelling, animation, rigging FX and setup. Near the end of the course you are 'encouraged' to pick an area of focus, where you will have more advanced lessons and critique in your chosen area (such as modelling).

Bartek|3D
02-11-2005, 11:22 PM
The 3d course teaches all aspects of 3d, including modelling, animation, rigging FX and setup. Near the end of the course you are 'encouraged' to pick an area of focus, where you will have more advanced lessons and critique in your chosen area (such as modelling).

Yup, that's correct! But, you're not only encouraged, you have to pick a stream. Everyone in the 3D course learns the same thing for the first 6 months (3 terms), then everyone splits up.

MikeRhone
02-12-2005, 12:09 AM
heh, thats why I put the quotes around encouraged. It's my politially correct way of saying forced ;) But its a good thing. Especially out of school yo ushould focus on one area to master, then move into other areas once you get out. Out of VFS I was an animator, now I havent set a key on a character in over a year and a half...

:(

Mike - animator wanna-be-again

PHO 75
02-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Bartek, how much classical animation do they teach you in the beginning? Did you go in knowing that you were going to focus on animation or did you decide that throughout the first 6 months. Out of curiosity, how big is your class? What's the average size of a class. I've been looking on here and seems like I've only found one person that has the same start date as me on June 27th. You've been a big help man, thanks for all these posts.

Gkaine
02-12-2005, 12:27 AM
i already know, im going to focus on modeling and texturing ^_^

Bartek|3D
02-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Poor Mike :( So what do you do at Bardel? You're a TD for special effects on 2D projects?

PHO: They teach you lots of basics for classical animation. You will learn how to draw properly, and also do dope sheets. You do these assignments:

- Ball bounce
- Jumping flour sack
- A ball with one hair attatched to it
- Guy with a whip
- Dude jumping onto and off of a box
- A walk cycle
- Dude crossing a ledge
- Guy throwing boxes out of a truck and having another guy catch them

I'm probably missing a few :P. It's alot of work, but it's fun! And yeah, I knew I wanted to be an animator from the start. But we've had people change their minds all the time. We even had one guy drop out in Term2 and transfer to the Classical Animation program, cuz he realized computers didn't do it for him! :eek:

Our class is big, we have 25 people. So it's around that number.

MikeRhone
02-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Heh, ah I didnt mean that to come across like a whine. Im very happy at Bardel. It has great staff and a decent (albeit cramped) work environment. Right now Im a 3d FX guy. (Which means I do the Maya stuff for anything effect-ish, and I let the comp guy make it look friggin fantatastic.)

There are a lot of VFS and CDIS grads in there as well...! A VFS student got hired last week. I can't remember what class she was in exactly, but she is Angie the TA. She's done some nice stuff in real flow, and I beleive shes getting right into the lighting and rendering side of things now.

Im not sure how far you are along in classes, but this week I talked with Larry about getting another tour for a couple more VFS classes. Bardel likes to open thier doors to local schools and get them familiar with the studio. It lets students know that Radical and EA arent the only game in town. Get your classmates to keep bugging him to get a tour!

newcenturydsn
02-13-2005, 02:20 AM
How hard is it to go freelance after school, do they give you any contacts for that type of work so that i don't HAVE to live in Vancouver when I'm done, as much as i do love that city.

PHO 75
02-13-2005, 02:41 AM
I was wondering about the opposite. How hard would it be to stay and work in Vancouver after school, I'm from DC? I heard that studios in Canada try to only hire Canadians.

Rkhon
02-13-2005, 03:21 AM
How do you afford to live and go to school? Did you fellas work and save a good amount then go to school? I don't see how its possible to live and go to school under the recommendation to not work while you attend.

hawker787
02-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Hiya

I work for an indie record label in Vancouver and we've worked with a few ex-VFSers on some projects and they've all been excellent.

Good place to go I'd say.

Bartek|3D
02-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Heh, ah I didnt mean that to come across like a whine. Im very happy at Bardel. It has great staff and a decent (albeit cramped) work environment. Right now Im a 3d FX guy. (Which means I do the Maya stuff for anything effect-ish, and I let the comp guy make it look friggin fantatastic.)

There are a lot of VFS and CDIS grads in there as well...! A VFS student got hired last week. I can't remember what class she was in exactly, but she is Angie the TA. She's done some nice stuff in real flow, and I beleive shes getting right into the lighting and rendering side of things now.

Im not sure how far you are along in classes, but this week I talked with Larry about getting another tour for a couple more VFS classes. Bardel likes to open thier doors to local schools and get them familiar with the studio. It lets students know that Radical and EA arent the only game in town. Get your classmates to keep bugging him to get a tour!

Hey, you da man! :)
I'd love to come visit you guys. A couple of your staff came over to our theatre a few months ago to talk to us (mainly about Dragons: Fire & Ice) , and it was pretty cool to know that there is another studio in town. I remember someone saying that they love working there, and it's a really cool and relaxed atmosphere.

I'm in class 3D52 and now that I know you talked to Larry, I'll go talk to him since I'm class rep ;). I didn't even know you guys allowed tours like that?! Oh, and didn't Joseph G. (head of 2D) work with you guys on Batwing before?

And I'm glad to see you're still a happy camper even though you're not animating.
Hope to meet you soon! :bounce:

MikeRhone
02-13-2005, 09:19 PM
newcenturydsn: Freelancing is hard... Right out of school I sent out my reels to all the local studios, but the only work I could pick up was word of mouth through friends and off of sites like AWN. They were all minor jobs like animated gifs for a mall kiosk or a couple of simple props. As Leigh mentioned recently on another thread, freelancing is only recommended once you have some real production experience. Its all about contacts and getting a reputation for yourself.

PHO 75: It all depends on the studio. For the most part, studios will hire from outside Canada if the applicant has some good experience. I think out of town applicants are elligible for non-paying internships but I am not certain. If you're a US citizen, Seattle has some great studios. Its like Vancouver but with more garage bands and better coffee :)

Rkhon: I had a student loan and was able to live at home while I attended. (Im a local Vancouverite). Even then it was tight. Thats also when VFS was lass than 20 grand.

Bartek|3D: That may have been me...! I spoke one afternoon at VFS last year. I was with 2 other Bardel guys, but they didnt actually talk. I think they were just there to heckle me;) Joseph G was just leaving Silverwing as I was hired on. I got to work on the 3d side of Silverwing for a few months just as he was wrapping up, so I only know him well enough to say hi when I see him. He's definately one qualified dude :)

The promo for Dragons 2 is getting close, so it would be nice to show a sample of what we're working on. Ill PM you my email so we can make sure it happens soon...!

Best of luck to everyone in thier learnin'!

Mike

heipei
02-16-2005, 09:54 PM
first of all thanks for all the useful information delivered in this thread. i read it from the beginning, took me long enough.

id really like to attend vfs as well, but for me it would be a big step (moving from germany, leaving behind everything i knew). i know vancouver, have been there twice, i will also take canadian citizenship, so no doubts about the location itself. just a few questions:

- how long in advance do you have to apply for the courses?
- how easy is it to find a job in vc (even a shitty one for the beginning, just to keep you alive) i dont know about the unemployment rate there, but where i come from its pretty high
- how difficult is it to find a decent place to stay. since i'd be moving there i cant really look around in advance, unless i get some money to visit vancouver in the summer
- is there time for hooking up with people or is everyone just into completing his reel, getting his stuff done and not caring about the guy sitting next to him?
- if i wanted to do 3d animation and visual effects, do i need the foundation visual art and design really? i have some decent skills in maya and photoshop, and know how to handle computers well

thanks in advance

manacrystal
02-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Hello heipei,
I can answer some of your questions but I'm still in the planning stages because I don't start at VFS until October.
-In order to get into the 3d anim&VFX program for October 05, I had to apply before the end of December. This wasn't mandatory but it was to ensure that I could get in and pay current tuition (around $26 000 canadian or so). I had to pay a $5.8k deposit by the end of December to reserve my spot.

-They strongly recommend that you do not try to have a job while attending because you won't be able to keep up with the course workload.
-I'm in the middle of finding a place right now, it all depends on how much you want to pay. There are lots of student apartments and student housing because of the abundance of schools in and around Vancouver.

-I think teamwork is encouraged, you're able to talk to classmates and discuss problems or techniques, and you can work with people from other departments if you want to do something like record some audio for an animation.

-The foundation year is more to work on traditional art skills (sketching, sculpture, color and light concepts, etc) just to give those computer specialists a more balanced skillset. You said that you know the computer programs, but when you give them your portfolio, if they don't see any evidence that you can do OTHER STUFF, you might be have to do the foundation year. Still, it would be beneficial for anyone.

heipei
02-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Hello heipei,
-They strongly recommend that you do not try to have a job while attending because you won't be able to keep up with the course workload.

im sorry you got me wrong. of course i wouldnt try to work while still in school. i mean after you graduated. sure, you may get hired right away, especially with the help of vfs as i understood it. my question is: what if you dont? how is the general job situation in and around vc?

newcenturydsn
02-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks Mike!! I would like to go freelance eventually, but yeah I wouldn't expect it right out of school. From what I 've heard if a studio were to hire you right out of the gates, its mostly if not all contract work, you work for 3 or 4 months and then the search is on again. But I guess you take what you can get.

I 'm going absolutely nuts waiting for approval on my student loan, if I don't get approved for that I don't get to go.

Smoke'em if ya got'em!!

heipei
02-17-2005, 10:27 PM
i was just wondering what the average age of people taking part at vfs is? when i start i will be almost twenty, thanks to the completely stupid school system here in germany.

MikeRhone
02-17-2005, 10:41 PM
The age seems to vary. I would say the common ages are from 19-24, but there are a few +30 people that go through from time to time. When I attended in 1998 our oldest classmate was 50+. (A really talented classical painter).

KolbyJukes
02-17-2005, 10:44 PM
in my class the average age was probably like 26...i was the second youngest (20 at the time)

falker
02-18-2005, 04:47 AM
Ok, i have decided instead of making a new thread, and cluttering cgtalk with vfs threads i should just post here since its on topic. sorry if it stears this in the wrong way, im just lookin for some feedback. VFS. from the feedback here, and the reels and progress ive seen on this site of the students, it seems to be a very good school. i would love to attend later in the fall maybe, but theres always the catch. 29,500 catches actually. What this means for me is id have to get a student loan, (family cant afford it) now i also hear that they dont want you working when your attending cuase they feel that it will take away from you work, so i would probably have to take some out for living expenses. I love everything art, and i love everything about 3D, i have a good traditional art background, but limited 3d experience (tinkered here and there with tutorials for maya). i know this is what i want to do in life, i have the desire, but the risk is HUGE

30k + interest is alot of money to be paying back (for one years schooling), and i want to know if its goin to the right place. I got friends and some family, trying to tell me how its a bad idea... I need support :( hahahaha
I was wondering if theres any other people out there who took out the full loan, and maybe here what they think about the whole situation..

i guess to sum it all up I feel i could succeed, but theres always the thought going and coming out with nothin in the business, and 30k to pay off for the next 30 years of my life

if this makes no sense at all, plz just go about your business lol

newcenturydsn
02-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey Falker - Tell me about it! I've applied for the aug 29th start date, in order for me to go I need a full amount granted from student loans- which I heard is somewhere in the 25,000 dollar range, now that doesn't even cover the full tuition!! So now I have to get aproved for a minimum 15,000 dollar, student line of credit, which may I say you have to pay the interest on while you are going to school. So really I need to apply for a 20,000 dollar line of credit, cause how the hell am i going to pay 5.5 % on 20,000 when i'm done which is around $1,100.00 a month untill I get a job which is going to pay me what, $40-50,000 a year- If I'm lucky!!

Plus student loan payments which work out to like $500.00 a month, so when you're done school you'de be looking at around $1,500 - $1,600 dollar payments a month, now that doesn't include rent, food or any of the expenses to support my family.

Is it worth it?.....you do the math

newcenturydsn
02-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Well,

After punching the numbers, guess I can blame my parents again for not being absolutely filthy rich when they brought me into this world...hahah just kidding!!

But really looking at the options, the tuition is just too high. I have a wife and two kids to take care of and a 1600.00 dollar a month payment when I walk out the door with nothing but a demo reel (what would have been very kick ass) and a peice of paper, it's just too much money.

so...good luck to all and keep on trying, I still thik going to the film school would be worth it, but you better have some money in the bank, or else a rich family member about to kick the bucket and leave you all their riches, when you're done.

l8r all

Redsand1080
02-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey all, I'm thinking about going to VFS to study character animation specifically and am considering their combinded 1 1/2 year program where you study both traditional anim. and digital with Maya.

Basically what I would like to know is....is their character anim. program really good or not? I can teach myself the software, and have been, but I want to be around some people who know what character anim. is all about. I wouldn't pay 30,000 to learn Maya, but I might pay 30,000 to learn from some people that are not only really good themselves, but are helpful and willing to work w/ students to teach them as much about the art of character anim. as possible.

Thanks!

seema
02-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi
M from India....

I m joining the Vfs chracter animation program(Maya) starting this june..ANyone gonna b my classmate?

heipei
02-21-2005, 11:48 AM
hmm, reading a lot of posts from a lot of people who already signed up to vfs or are going to, makes me wonder how many students are accepted each 2 months (and each category)? how big are the classes?

PHO 75
02-21-2005, 01:14 PM
roughly 25 per class for the 3d program is what i've been told.

ZenMaster
02-21-2005, 08:12 PM
I have some friends from classical animation that will be going in Computer Character animation Program. There's probably half of the students who will be joining.

Tha classes in the 3d program are filled with 30 to 35 students. Its packed.

Computer vs classical. Classical gets more time teachers since a class will average from 10 to 15.

Cheers.

KolbyJukes
02-21-2005, 08:22 PM
my 3d class was like 15 people...genereally it's in the 25 - 30 range. I don't remember hearing of a class of more then 30 people, could be different these days.

-K.

KOKE
02-21-2005, 09:15 PM
It would be nice to know if someone will start in October.....as thats when I start the 3d animation & VFX program.

Have to find housing first

pum
02-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Im in class 50, my clas only have 19 students, and I think max number of student is 25- 26

Gkaine
02-23-2005, 03:50 AM
just had orientation yesterday. seemed to be around 25 students? in my class, thats a guess though. however i would like to say how cool everyone is in my class. everyone is as hungry as i am. i love it.

m2cool
02-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Hey guys i am getting so confused with all these threads. I am an international student from india and am deciding on studying VFX...... i considered savannah college at first but reading some of the threads i decided to give it another thought also read about academay art and vancover film school and AI of vancover and am totally confused now. as far as VFS goes me being an international student would prefer spending more time learning then going for a full time intensive course at VFS.

Colleges and universities are cool but what i would like to know is that what is the placement rate of jobs for international students. How many international students get opportunities to work there.

Since im spending so much money id like to recover some part of it atleast and then return back.

Cheers
CD

Redsand1080
02-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Is anyone in the character anim. program? I am tryin to decide between the charcter anim. or 3D & VFX. I love character animation and am almost positive that is where i want my focus to be. I've looked over the course schedule and I'm just not sure I would learn enough about modeling and rigging to complete an animation in only 6 months? Cause it seems like they want you to complete all steps of the process of bringing a short to completion, not just animate a charcter someone else has done. If anyone is currently completing that program or knows anything about it, I'd appreciate any thoughts. I think doing the combinded classical and digital program would make you an awesome animtor, but I'm not sure what it would be like trying to bang out models, textures, and a scene in that short a period of time.

Cheers:)

manacrystal
02-23-2005, 10:26 PM
It would be nice to know if someone will start in October.....as thats when I start the 3d animation & VFX program.

Have to find housing first

Hey, we'll be in the same class! I'm working on finding housing too. I have a real estate agent out there but I still don't know what I want for sure.

Aruna
02-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Is anyone in the character anim. program? I am tryin to decide between the charcter anim. or 3D & VFX. I love character animation and am almost positive that is where i want my focus to be. I've looked over the course schedule and I'm just not sure I would learn enough about modeling and rigging to complete an animation in only 6 months? Cause it seems like they want you to complete all steps of the process of bringing a short to completion, not just animate a charcter someone else has done. If anyone is currently completing that program or knows anything about it, I'd appreciate any thoughts. I think doing the combinded classical and digital program would make you an awesome animtor, but I'm not sure what it would be like trying to bang out models, textures, and a scene in that short a period of time.

Cheers:)

It's a team effort.. You don't HAVE to build a model, texture and create a scene. If you can coerce your classmates that want to model into modelling and texturing a character for you, then you can animate it. It's very seldom that an animator will actually model the character that they'll eventually animate! This may be less true in gaming, but in films, you may never get to model a character, just animate it! You don't need a scene either.. A great animator will animate their character on flat grey, and still bring out an emotion. I recall an animation called 50 Percent Grey that came out a while ago that was quite good, and his environment was totally grey shaded.

KOKE
02-23-2005, 10:50 PM
@Manacrystal

Great!!, it feels good to know those with who I will work soon even before I start the course. :applause:

About the housing issue Im a bit lost, they told me that most people just go there some time before starting, and then look for a roommate and a house......but how much is "some time"?.
I guess that while I look for housing there I will have to live in an hotel or something.
Does anyone know if its easy to find housing in Vancouver next to the school??
I ask this because Spain is quite far away and I would like to have things tied as soon as possible.

Every single guy I met that has lived or visited Vancouver told me that it was a marvellous place.......so......what more can I ask for.........3D, nice city.....:thumbsup:

Finally----> Does any one know if thereīs good party in Vancouver??? I will work in 3D all daylong and give my best, but someday I will need to relax....

DeeCee
02-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Koke, party eh? The Lotus Sound Lounge @ 455 Abbott Street is where it's at! Go on Friday's! ;)

Anyways, I'm attempting to apply at the VFS for Game Design as well, but I can't afford it at this moment :(

VFS is a College, right? I am visiting a College now here in the Netherlands and follow a course on "Multi Media & New Media Design". After 2 years we can decide wether we want to study for 2 more years and get a diploma or just stop after 2 years and get certificates on the course you have followed. I have choosen for the last one. We hardly learn a thing here at my school & the organisation of the school itself is very bad and very messy. I'm still wrondering: "What the hell have I learned at school?!", seriously nothing! Just getting some knowledge of how some computer program works, and after you have find out how it works, they're like sue-it-yourself! hmmmm,,, I can rather sit behind my computer at hme and learn from some tutorials from the internet.

So I don't feel like finishing the course I'm taking now, apparently because it's also a College. After finishing it and go to another College,,, I don't think so. It would also cost me a shitload of money and it's just a waste of time anyways so it's better for me to apply to the VFS right away!

Well, you know I don't have the money at this moment, I did have an idea - some way to get me there.

After getting my certificates I was thinking of becoming an Au Pair for for a family for one year in Vancouver. I've read somewhere on the web that after 1 year you can apply yourself as a 'permanent Canadian citizen' (if you fullfill the rules). When you've become that it will be much more easier to get something like financial aid or something like that (not sure) and also you don't have to pay the full international tuition - but this mostly depends on the school itself.

Ugh,,, sigh,,, I have to email the Canadian Ambassy over here and listen to their part of the story.

Any other foreigners around here who want to apply to the VFS? I wanna hear how you're handeling things.

I have my own personal advisor at the VFS who helps me, but I have only talked to her once. I will talk to her again hopefully this Friday - I'm LOADED with questions!

KOKE
02-24-2005, 01:25 AM
@ DeeCee

Thnks man! you know im from spain and we cant live without some party...hehe

I hope you are lucky and able to come To VFS.

You know, there is a lot of people from Netherlands here at CGtalk......
Netherlands is a nice place iīve been twice (last week in fact was my last time) and I had a great time in Amsterdam.

About the school, I know how you feel.. im going to VFS because after 3 years here in an art school (having graduated with my diploma and all) I have learned nothing really useful for my animation background.
My school focused mainly in design related themes and some video stuff.
Was good but not great, so I am excited to start in Vancouver.

newcenturydsn
02-24-2005, 03:31 AM
DeeCee- hey, actually to answer your question, VFS is a Private Learning Institution, so it's not like going to college, where you do your day, go home do homework, and then go out to the club till midnight and still get home in time, to sleep before you have to get up at like 7 o' clock in the morning.

It's a 12 month crash course in animation or whatever you want to do, you're at school for at least 12 hours a day, if you're serious about it, and anytime off, you want to catch up on sleep, cause from what i hear, you don't get to do alot of that while attending VFS.
Don't get me wrong I love the club just as much as the next guy but $30,000 dollars (not including living expenses) is too much money to worry about where i'm gonna party on the weekend.

Oh yeah did I mention it's stupid expensive to attend there, and to live in one of the most expensive cities in western canada.

Not trying to discourage you, I'm trying to find a way to come up with the living expenses so I can go in october.

L8r Yo~~

heipei
02-24-2005, 04:59 AM
hmm, its probably too late to get into this years 3d animation program, starting in october, right? there are so many people just here on cgtalk that the course must be quite full. does anyone know the "deadline" on which one should have applied to have a chance? looking forward to februar next year if this year doesnt work anymore.

cheers

seema
02-24-2005, 10:45 AM
None starting Digital Chr.Animation program (June) :sad: Thats too bad...Thot i will keep in touch with them before getting there!

Anyone ??

manacrystal
02-24-2005, 10:52 AM
hmm, its probably too late to get into this years 3d animation program, starting in october, right? there are so many people just here on cgtalk that the course must be quite full. does anyone know the "deadline" on which one should have applied to have a chance? looking forward to februar next year if this year doesnt work anymore.

cheers

To SECURE my spot in 3d anim this coming October, they needed my deposit by the end of December.

heipei
02-24-2005, 11:39 AM
manacrystal: yeah, i already read your earlier post. but what does that mean? that people applying later only might get a seat? how does the whole concept work anyway? first come first served?
i havent found anything about dates when to apply on their website, which is quite good besides that.

PHO 75
02-24-2005, 11:52 AM
it seems to me that they try to fit you in to the start date of your choice if there is still room. Keep hearing about deadlines but i don't think they really stick to that. if there's space left and you put up the deposit, they'll fit you in.

Redsand1080
02-24-2005, 06:54 PM
heipeihmm, its probably too late to get into this years 3d animation program, starting in october, right? there are so many people just here on cgtalk that the course must be quite full. does anyone know the "deadline" on which one should have applied to have a chance

I don't know bout that...I'd give it a shot if I was you because I got accepted to attend the June 3D Animation and VFX program not too terribly long ago. Had a hard time deciding between the character anim. program and the 3D/VFX, but since character anim. positions are harder and harder to come by, i figure why not be more well-rounded? But anyway, if anyone out there will be starting in June I'll see you in class!:thumbsup: I'd like to talk to some future classmates (besides PHO 75...u crazy fool, helping me to decide on dropping 30 k on another degree, I should smack you!:) ) so if you're gonna be starting in June IM me! Took me a long time to decide whether or not it was worth it (cause I have to take out a massive loan that I'll be paying off for a good while) but since I refuse to do anything else with my life...oh well, money is always second to art! I was thinking about moving up there in a couple weeks and look for some random job (waiting tables) to work before classes start. Once classes start obviously I would bail, but I'd like to get to know the envioronment and all before I actually start classes and be as comfortable as possible before I get slammed by the crazy course-load. Anyone know what it's like living up there and doing something like that?

heipei
02-24-2005, 10:17 PM
I was thinking about moving up there in a couple weeks and look for some random job (waiting tables) to work before classes start. Once classes start obviously I would bail, but I'd like to get to know the envioronment and all before I actually start classes and be as comfortable as possible before I get slammed by the crazy course-load. Anyone know what it's like living up there and doing something like that?

yeah, i will probably do the same. if it goes the way its supposed to be ill be flying to vancouver after finishing school, sometimes in the summer, with my family. who says you cant combine vacation with searching an apartment? :P

then ill need a job as well until classes start, to keep me alive. i looked at some jobs-sites but all they had was permanent long-term work where you had leading positions.

id be very interested about your progress in vancouver. would be nice of you to drop me a message so we could stay in touch. please use the forums private messages.

cheers

Rens
02-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Remember that you can't work outside of the campus with a student visa, you'll need a work permit for that.

Does anyone have any experience with Bell Accomodations (www.bellacc.com)? I like the idea that everything is furnished and that light, water, heating etc. is included, but is it more expensive than a regular appartment?

Thanks,

- Rens

newcenturydsn
02-25-2005, 06:41 AM
As far as I know I should be there for the october start date...and I lived on the coast for alotta years so I know a fw people, but might still be lookin for a place preferably closer to the school...if anyones interested, let me know.

I have no problem riding the train or the bus, but most of the people that i know that are still there, live in PoCo or North Burnaby, I'd rather be downtown, but 500 a month for a bed to sleep in is pretty steep.

DeeCee
02-25-2005, 10:21 PM
It's a 12 month crash course in animation or whatever you want to do, you're at school for at least 12 hours a day, if you're serious about it, and anytime off, you want to catch up on sleep, cause from what i hear, you don't get to do alot of that while attending VFS.
Don't get me wrong I love the club just as much as the next guy but $30,000 dollars (not including living expenses) is too much money to worry about where i'm gonna party on the weekend.

Good to hear that students @ the VFS have to spend 12 hours in class. I HATE the time I have to spend now at our school - starting like 1PM and end at 5PM or 8AM till 10AM or just a 1 or 2 hour classes,,, I spend more time traveling to school than sit at school! :shrug:

Oh and uhm,,, I like to party and all, but if I had to choose between school or party, I say school. I can party all the time when I'm done with school you know ;)

I MUST go to the VFS, I want to make my dream come true and become a game designer! To those people (most of my shitty family) that ever said to me: "You're a failer! I hope you will never make it to the top!" - I swear I will kick them some ass!!! HA! Wait and see! :scream:

KOKE
02-25-2005, 11:00 PM
When I asked about party places in Vancouver, I didnīt meant to sound like I was going to be partying all the time, and not paying attention to classes.....

I will work extremely hard there, but some people at VFS told me that you should take a rest from time to time and go out with friends and do some networking, so you donīt burn to soon.
VFS requires a lot of effort from the students, and we all need some rest and make friends after working real hard, so we can start again with more energy and fresh ideas.

In fact one of the best things about VFS is that those friends you make can become very important in the future when the time comes to look for a job.

newcenturydsn
02-25-2005, 11:06 PM
I MUST go to the VFS, I want to make my dream come true and become a game designer! To those people (most of my shitty family) that ever said to me: "You're a failer! I hope you will never make it to the top!" - I swear I will kick them some ass!!! HA! Wait and see! :scream:

yeah most of my shitty family doesn't think ill amount to much either

here here to both of you, i agree koke we will all need some down time and those friends you network with could someday be your boss...

Heber
02-25-2005, 11:21 PM
12 hours a day? hehe that sounds about right ..actually if you are very focused and not easily distracted this is the best solution get there at 9am and leave at 9pm and get some good sleep , because when you are refreshed you will be able to work much more efficiently , as for me i live far away from the campus so i spend 24hrs at school , i get to sleep at about 2am , but this is recent before i was pulling all nighters to work on my demo , now im down to 2 months and i will probably be back to drinking red bull and staying up all night to finish my reel . good luck to you guys. :)

manacrystal
02-26-2005, 12:23 AM
When I asked about party places in Vancouver, I didnīt meant to sound like I was going to be partying all the time, and not paying attention to classes.....

I will work extremely hard there, but some people at VFS told me that you should take a rest from time to time and go out with friends and do some networking, so you donīt burn to soon.
VFS requires a lot of effort from the students, and we all need some rest and make friends after working real hard, so we can start again with more energy and fresh ideas.

Yeah I agree, I know what you mean by places to go out and have a good time; not just get wasted and party. VFS isn't a school for people who just want to get drunk and go to the club every night (like a lot of my friends at University). But I do look forward to going to nearby coffee shops or pubs to relax with some friends/classmates. I have a few friends at UBC as well, so they'll fill me in on the best places to go. :thumbsup:

Also I'm considering giving up drinking for good, or at least getting drunk. Maybe the occasional glass of wine or something, haha! Drinking just makes me feel like I'm getting stupider and I don't want that while I'll be at school!

newcenturydsn
02-26-2005, 09:28 AM
hello current Vancouverites!!Does anyone know exactly how much the monthly "Go Anywhere" transit pass costs?

Me and my buddies had fake BCIT student cards and a monthly pass was only $53.00 back in '99-2000 The closest number I could find online was $69.00 a month, but I think thats only for high school students now. Please someone I really need to know. (need to figure out the budget)

Cheers:buttrock:

Godpart2
02-26-2005, 07:45 PM
i'm exactly in the same position as m2cool. i'm from india too and more confused than ever after reading all the various art school related posts as to where apply to. seema any tips on how you decided on vfs? i have already met with the admissions advisor based in mumbai. i'm currently working in mumbai in a studio where we do major outsourced work from the us. the projects are good but i aspire to work on bigger stuff. i don't wont to spend a lot of $$ and in the end have to return to india for work!
the reasons i am considering vfs are :
1.student work looks good.
2.the course being just 1yr is attractive coz i'm already 23, i plan to apply for '06 would be 24 by then and i don't want to spend a lot of time studying.
3.the cirriculum looks good.

the following are the doubts i have :

asking whether i would get a job after completing the course @ vfs is a noob question.
but how is the cg industry scenario in canada in general? will it be very difficult getting a job in the us or anywhere else after studying in canada?

how much difference a degree or diploma or masters would make in a job scenario? (i know this question has been asked a zillion times and is really stupid, but its indian mentality coz it makes a huge difference in our country coz for most middle classed ppl , our education is our only wealth) to put the question in a more better manner, why should i do a diploma @ vfs rather than say a masters @ say art academy in san francisco?

with regards to putting in the effort, i'm 100% motivated. i have worked professionally for more than a year and i know how much effort is required in this field.

thanx

seema
02-27-2005, 03:51 AM
hi godpart2 .. I made my decisions considering the following factors:

For us Indians its a huge amt of money that v wud be investing on education abroad..
I m already working as a chr.rigger in Chennai.So i know to work with Maya.
For me I wanted to get a tag n develop contacts(ofcourse learn more techniques), inorder to get a job in big studios abroad. ya me too, dont wanna come back to india n work.
Thats y VFS.

Its got a great reputation..
Curriculum is good..N
They dont expect an art background.(suits me as I m n wanna b a techi)

:)All the best

newcenturydsn
02-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Hello, if anybody knows, I still would like to know how much the transit passes are for VFS students.

AND....

I'm gonna ask the unspeakable.....oooooooooooooo...........

If I'm gonna spend $40,000 on a 3d education, What kind of payscale I'm I looking at when I get out?

(On the job of course)

after 3 months...

after 1 year...

after 3 years....

Do I get to jump right back into my 25,000 - 30,000 dollar a year job or is there hope?

Don't get me wrong, I 'm doing this for the love of the art, but I do still have family to support.

P.S. And I don't get why this is such a risque question, someone asks me how much I get paid, I tell them! What's the big deal?

Anyways, if anyone would like to answer these for me That would be great.

Cheers

Heber
02-27-2005, 09:06 AM
totally fair question century , but the way i see it is it totally depends on you, the quality of work you put out while you are here will determine where you go. Ive seen people finish school here and go nowhere , while ive seen other go to ILM and other large film companies, so there isnt really a way to answer that. Just work as hard as you can and good things will come along .

mangual
02-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Normally a Master's degree or MFA would be more helpful to you if you'd like the opportunity to teach someday (and in other instances for slight, pre-determined increases in salary scale)

However, an MFA from the Academy of Art University is accredited by a non-regional body which may not be considered official enough to teach at public institutions, government, etc.

Luckily in the art fields though you can always find a place that will take you and yes I believe an MFA is better if you have the choice - whether you want to teach or not.

You get to say you "mastered" something, eh? You are a master! It's pretty cool....

DeeCee
02-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Some of you must be glad to get support from your family. I don't, I'm standing all on my own for this.

But anyway, is EVERYONE here going to follow the 3D Animation & Visual Effect course? Am I the only one here who takes the Game Design course?

I know the curriculum has a 'quite' big difference,,,

I'm still wondering how to get the money,,, do you guys get financial aid from your own country? Or are you getting a loan in Canada or America? Or do you all get your money from your parents (which I doubt,,,)? I've asked around on every forum (outside CGtalk), but nobody gave any specific answer and all they say is: "Good luck!". Okay, good luck is what I need, but how hard is it to answer my question?! :shrug:

newcenturydsn
02-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Hey there, don't feel like you're all alone in that one. I should be getting around 25,000-26,000 from Alberta/Canada Student Loans, and the other 20,000 I'm getting a student line of credit from the bank, in which my grandparents have to co-sign for.

So it is possible, but that's alot of money to go into debt for, so be sure this is what you want to do for the rest of your days. cause you're gonna be paying it back for a good potion of them.

newcenturydsn
02-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Heber- thanks bud, that's what i figured 'what you put in is what you get out' and that's my goal. Ever since I've been 14 or 15 years old (11 years) it's been my dream to do go to ILM
I probably wouldn't argue with Dreamworks, or Warner Bros. or Fox.... I guess we'll see what happens, I'd like to stay in Canada too though.

I guess Iwas kind of wondering what kind of numbers we're all looking at between 20,000 a year and 50,000 a year or between 20,000 a year and 200,000 a year. I've heard it's possible but but that was all here-say.

anyways cheers all!!
Hope to see ya in October!

KOKE
02-27-2005, 02:55 PM
A friend of mine told me that in a big studio an average animator (so not a newbee) will earn around 50,000 a year.
more experienced animators will earn more.

But I dont really know, itīs just what they told me. :shrug:

m2cool
02-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey Godpart2 I understand what you are going through.... im still figuring out as to which college i should select. The thing about VFS is that its to short a period to study something so vast. I agree that its 12 hour classess and stuff but the amount is just way tooooooo high... thats the whole reason im still figuring out. What course are you planning on doing there. and to be honest it is not that simple for international students to get a job and a visa to work there.

Anyways im still deciding otherwise.

Godpart2
02-28-2005, 04:32 AM
thanks mangual on the info about aau been accredited by a non-regional body. i'm not considering teaching as an option. ofcourse that won't be the reason i should be ruling out an mfa. i kinda have and option between mfa @ aau and a diploma @ vfs. i was considering a mfa @ scad but they specified i would require 12 + 4 yrs of education. i have 12 + 3 , i contacted aau and they are fine with that.

about the finances, indian parents generally fund their child's education and support them even afterwards. i'm planning to take a student loan.

m2cool, u make a good pt about 1 yr being a short period to learn something so vast, that too u get to specialise only after 6 months into the course! i'm planning to apply for the 3d animation and visual effects course. i want to specialise in modeling. i'm currently hired as a modeler @ my current job but haven't made a polygon in the last 9 months (@ least no at work). have been lighting all this while, go figure! thats how things generally work in india, u can't really specialse and have to be good at more than one thing.
any ex or current vfs students felt/feel that the course duration is shorter than it should be?

Quicksilver
03-04-2005, 02:56 PM
hi guys
i'm new here so hopefully i'm doing this right... I am currently working in a delhi studio and doing motion graphics here... basically 3D and packaging stuff ... am planning to move into pure 3d work and am thinking of going to VFS .. but not very sure if they have any scholarships...does anyone know... also where do u guys plan to take a loan from, cos the interest rates in india are a killer.... and this has been the major issue with me.... hoping for some positive feedback :) ...
regards

Bartek|3D
03-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Wow, this thread is gettin long! About the transit ticket per month, well, the price just got jacked up so now I pay $130/month! :sad: The trasit system is divided into zones here and I live far away from VFS, so you need to do your research! ;)

http://www.translink.bc.ca/Transportation_Services/Fares_Passes/integrated_fare_system.asp

VM
03-04-2005, 09:54 PM
My critics:

School doesn't allow flexibilty of any kind - in teaching or learning. Because of very strict systems and programs, which make the process so rigid and so slow. For example I would describe american school as "do your homework and get graded - if it's correct, you get a good grade - period". At any level, even post-doctoral.

Therefore you would rather learn for ex. 'Maya, the software', but never 'Animation, the techniques' (who would teach them anyway? Doug Sweetland? I don't think so!). Besides that, if you are in a 'creative' program, you'll have to forget about what you like and about what you'd rather do, and go with what's required at that 'academic' level. They try hard to make it invisible, and keep wanting you to 'open your mind' and keep talking about 'freedom of mind/expression', but that's not true. If you're not 'free enough', you get down-graded.

OK, my most terrible sentence - a school teacher's professional level is most of the time very low, which is why he/she is teaching and not practicing in the first place. So here 'originality' becomes an issue: when you're so 'original' that no standards can apply to your work (and you build this solid theoretical wall to protect your incapacity), nobody can pertinently criticise your work! Look at the book/work of this guy - Peter Ratner (sorry dude). He's a perfect example of what I call a 'teacher'.

A last thing: the feedback you get in school (if you're not fortunate enough to have good friends who are very talented) is very artificial. Which is why so many people get out of school and start wondering why the world is such a brutal place...

Bartek|3D
03-04-2005, 11:28 PM
zamolxes:

I don't want this thread starting into a flame war, so I'll try to be polite ;).
Practically everything you said in that post is not true from my point of view. I noticed that the people who put in their all into the school have a completely opposite point of view from yours.

Therefore, I'm not sure if you had a very positive experience at VFS? Which program did you take? And when did you study at VFS?

You have alot of freedom to do whatever your heart desires during school. You can put in your own ideas into assignments, and you actually are praised for being creative and doing that extra step in your assignments. The reason why everything is strict and pipelined is because the program lasts 1 year. They try and teach you so much stuff in that one year, that there must be a rigorous pipeline. VFS reels compete with other 3-4 year programs out there.

"a school teacher's professional level is most of the time very low"...
"which is why he/she is teaching and not practicing in the first place." - ???!? I don't think so...

Again, I don't know what year you studied in but I'm VERY satisfied with the instructors at school. Most of them actually work in the industry while teaching at VFS! Our head actually just hired an animation mentor for the later terms who is a very talented animator who worked at ILM. Just as an example :P.

Oh, and the Visual Effects mentor (head of visual effects stream) owns this company: http://www.lostboys-studios.com/

Not professional enough? :shrug:

"Which is why so many people get out of school and start wondering why the world is such a brutal place..."

Lol, VFS is known for teaching students how a production environment actually feels like. So I don't even know where you got that. Maybe your sources are people who haven't tried hard enough at school? Personal experiences? I think you generalize too much.

Heber
03-04-2005, 11:45 PM
i think zamolxes was reffering to the whole "school system" in general ,
while i dont agree with most of his post.. well thats just one persons point of view ,
i think it all depends on you. What you do with your time there, and what you put out . There really is no formula, some people work hard and dont accomplish much while others put in minimal hours and make good work , leave it up to talent or how fast you can learn or train yourself. One years time is not nearly enough to become an artist and no one can teach you that, So even at places like vfs , ringling etc you must find your own way. Instructors become a very small bearing on your education , Its up to you in the end. Which isnt to say you shouldnt use the resources that are there for you .
**and for the record i think its an excellent program and would recomend it to everyone , if you can afford the tuition.

Bartek|3D
03-04-2005, 11:49 PM
i think zamolxes was reffering to the whole "school system" in general , well thats just one persons point of view , i think it all depends on you. What you do with your time there, and what you put out . There really is no formula, some people work hard and dont accomplish much while others put in minimal hours and make good work , leave it up to talent or how fast you can learn or train yourself. One years time is not nearly enough to become an artist and no one can teach you that, So even at places like vfs , ringling etc you must find your own way. Instructors become a very small bearing on your education , Its up to you in the end.
**and for the record i think its an excellent program and would recomend it to everyone , if you can afford the tuition.

Well put!
If he is referring to the whole "system" in general, then I apologize and I'll edit my post. What Heber said is basically what I also believe. Put in your time and effort and you'll be successful, trust me.

pum
03-04-2005, 11:59 PM
My critics:

School doesn't allow flexibilty of any kind - in teaching or learning. Because of very strict systems and programs, which make the process so rigid and so slow. For example I would describe american school as "do your homework and get graded - if it's correct, you get a good grade - period". At any level, even post-doctoral.

Therefore you would rather learn for ex. 'Maya, the software', but never 'Animation, the techniques' (who would teach them anyway? Doug Sweetland? I don't think so!). Besides that, if you are in a 'creative' program, you'll have to forget about what you like and about what you'd rather do, and go with what's required at that 'academic' level. They try hard to make it invisible, and keep wanting you to 'open your mind' and keep talking about 'freedom of mind/expression', but that's not true. If you're not 'free enough', you get down-graded.

OK, my most terrible sentence - a school teacher's professional level is most of the time very low, which is why he/she is teaching and not practicing in the first place. So here 'originality' becomes an issue: when you're so 'original' that no standards can apply to your work (and you build this solid theoretical wall to protect your incapacity), nobody can pertinently criticise your work! Look at the book/work of this guy - Peter Ratner (sorry dude). He's a perfect example of what I call a 'teacher'.

A last thing: the feedback you get in school (if you're not fortunate enough to have good friends who are very talented) is very artificial. Which is why so many people get out of school and start wondering why the world is such a brutal place...

I agree and disgaree :)
About the flexibility, maybe we didnt have much in term 1 because the school is mainly teaching about the software in that term, I mean, how creative can you be in learning the tool?
After that term it's really up to you to show your creativity, for example , in animation class, you are very welcome to use your own model to animate. Modeling in early term: basically we have to model a human body in term 2. But, it doesnt matter if its a female or male. Infact, one of my friend model a monster charaacter because he is comfortable in modelinghuman anatomy already.

After 6 months of school, we get into demo reel time. In this period, you can be as creative as you want. teacher doesnt tell you what to model. And the schedule is not tight at all. basically, demo reel people have like 1 class a day( 3 hour) and we use the rest of the time to work on our project. And of course, even though we dont have class, the mentors are always there to help you. You just have to ask them, and they will be very happy to sit there and help you out. I know this since I experienced this.

ok,about the quality of the teacher. Some of the teacher in the first 3 terms dont have much industry experience. But the mentors have TONS.
as Bartek mentions, our VFX mentor own Lost-Boys studios . the modeling mentor worked in the CG industry for few years. We even have camera and storyboard mentor( she doesnt really teach in a class, but she is always there to help us INDIVIDUALLY if we ask for her help.) Oh, by the way, she had work exprerience with Pixar. :) And of course, our head department, I think he has the most experience of all. He worked with Dreamworks before.
so I think you just assuming too much, try to look for more information.

About the feedback, of course, having friends that can give awesome feedback is a big plus., I mean, for me, I stay at school 6 days a week. and I work until very late at night. So after hours, I rely on my classmate to give me feedback. For the feedback from mentors, we have 2 classes a week thats called project development, that class is mainly focusing on giving us feedback and critique from all of the mentors( animation, VFX, modeling, camera, lighting, etc), to top it off, once a month, we have big presentation on our theater. All of the mentors will be there,looking at our progress on a big screen.

""Which is why so many people get out of school and start wondering why the world is such a brutal place..""
Of course not everybody will be successful, it really depends on the work habit. Most of my friend, who work like a dog during demo reel time, all of them get jobs, some even a really good job. The only thing that sometimes stop my friends getting a job in canada or us is because they cant get a working visa, not because of their quality of reel.

cheers,
HB

Bartek|3D
03-05-2005, 12:04 AM
I agree and disgaree :)
About the flexibility, maybe we didnt have much in term 1 because the school is mainly teaching about the software in that term,

That I agree with. Some instructors don't have as much industry experience, but that's with every school.

pum
03-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Ups, I am sorry Zamolxes, I thought you were referring to VFS in particular :)

VM
03-05-2005, 09:24 PM
No, I was not referring to VFS. I'm just very dissapointed with the school system in general, that's why my post was so bitter. Sorry. I'm sure there are great schools like VFS - I've seen a few reels of VFS grads and they are very good.

pakdee
03-07-2005, 10:35 PM
hey guys im interested for the digital character animation program in vfs. do i have to take classical animation or 3d animation & visual effects course over there b4 i can enroll for digital character animation?

heipei
03-10-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm still wondering how to get the money,,, do you guys get financial aid from your own country?

it certainly is expensive, but since youre from the netherlands, have a look at the current canadian dollar against the euro ;) (www.xe.com)

just had a very interesting oversea telephone call with vfs, will have a longer conversation on monday. seems that i might still be able to get in october's program this year. this would really be cool. almost everything ive heard/seen so far, from here and other places, only supported my decision. if i should get in for october id have to look for a place to stay, like probably a lot of people here are. would definately be cool/useful to stay together with other vfs students, concerning interests, lab times and the noise level coming from the rendermachines at night :P

noahwecker
04-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Hey just thought I'd let you guys know that I went and got a tour of the new building on Burrard St. yesterday. I was extremely impressed. The facilities are top notch and from what it sounds like from talking to some of the students, the teachers really know their stuff. The thing that struck me as most impressive was that the place didn't feel like a school at all but more of a production studio. From what my academic advisor tells me that is the kind of feel they are going for, which is awesome. It was a nice change after checking out the masters program at Digipen in Redmond, WA which IMHO was severly lacking in a lot of areas. After this quarter at school I will be getting my degree in computer science and hopefully I can head up to Vancouver as soon as possible ( after saving up some cash of course ). I recommend to anyone who is even remotely interested in this school to get in contact with an advisor and check out it out for yourself. You will be amazed.

seema
04-24-2005, 03:21 AM
hey guys,

m going for the digital character animation program starting this june!! M totally excited! n by the way u dont need to have done a classical animation program...its not mandit..U just need a strong portfolio.

n yeah i need to look for accomodation ....n really get ready to kick ass ....

All the very best to u all!!

ba bye

Cyborgguineapig
04-24-2005, 03:54 AM
I'm thouroughly pissed at the moment. I attend the Art Institute of California-San Diego and am in the Game Art & Design program, erm I mean Guineapig Program! Most of the program seems to be organized as time goes by and some of thes instructors are a ******* joke. I am paying $70g's on instructors that come in and sit down and stare at us blank faced for over 2 hours! Occationally lecturing on things we already know. A lot of the instructors are really excellent but in the game Art program, a lot of them are freagin hacks that couldn't survive in the industry. I am about half way through my education here and the more I continue the more I hate it here. Ontop of extremely lousy academic organization, they have the balls to add 400+ new students each quarter although we are already balls to the walls with parking space. Furthermore we do not have enough equipment or available free labs to work on our stuff although we have been promised quarters ago, almost a year! Ontop of it all The Ai's do not require portfolio's to enroll so we get every type of fugin smuck coming here. There have been threats and rumours of retaliation by students in forms of rally's, petitions, ect... If you would like to know more about how corrupt the AI's are pm me.

Sorry I got sidetracked in the thread but I think it relates because I have been seeing awfully nice stuff come out of VFS lately and all it does it boil me in my own choice of education. Mad props to VFS for having their **** together.

I realize this is a bit unprofessional of me to go on in such a rant but I think its better for people to know about the truth. I was neutral on the AI bash up until 2 hours ago when I snapped a bit.

Darktwin
04-25-2005, 01:38 AM
Sorry I got sidetracked in the thread but I think it relates because I have been seeing awfully nice stuff come out of VFS lately and all it does it boil me in my own choice of education. Mad props to VFS for having their **** together.

I realize this is a bit unprofessional of me to go on in such a rant but I think its better for people to know about the truth. I was neutral on the AI bash up until 2 hours ago when I snapped a bit.

Don't be sorry, thats why forums like this are great. We get the truth with no beating around the bush. Although I take your frustration in account with your experience, what few sentences you typed is a million times more informative than talking to some school rep feeding us a bunch of BS. For the most part its about the students work ethic, but having awesome instructors and the proper equipment needed makes it much better.

back on topic....Rock on VFS guys and good luck in the trenches!

sneakykiwi
04-25-2005, 07:18 PM
HI all
Has any heard anything about the partime animation and digitail file courses.
I am looking at getting a feel for digital film and maya.
Thanks

SK:twisted:

-SammaN-
05-03-2005, 07:39 AM
------------------

Prototype_Angel
05-16-2005, 05:51 PM
sorry guys need to bring this thread up again

well, right now, i m thinking to enroll in VFS, foundation visual art and design program.

i decided to go there because i tried to apply diff school like cal arts, art centre, school of visual art, and pratt institute , they turned me down :(

and, because i am really lack of drawing skill and lack of art background.
i mean well yes, i know how to use the program like 3dmax, photoshop, painter because right now, i am in AI and they teach me how to use the program.
but its just you know i am really lack of concept and traditional skill...

so do you guys think its a good idea for me to go there and enroll in that program?

and after that i graduate from that program, i want to try work before i decide to come back to school again to get my bachelor degree.
do yu guys think only from that diploma programs, i can get some jobs to start my career?
off course, when i m going there, i will work very hard and try to develop new skills.

and well, for my future career, i want to work as some motion graphic designer or concept artist for movies title and commercial break.

any thought?

al300x
05-25-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm attending 3D at VFS. I don't regret to choose VFS, just want to share my thought to make you choice easier.

Facilities,

ZEON Dual computers to share with one more class at the term 1~4. But the technical maintaining isn’t good. You won't believe those are Zeon Duals.

Computer tables are very expensive and customized (for somebody not for us), very small space for the keyboard and mouse. It's even annoying to instructors.

Monitors are big enough but have very own characteristics; so all the monitor has different color. Quarter of them is blurred.

We have 25~30people(which is maximum at this point) in the 2D class and has 2 very old line-tester witch we share with 2more 3D Class and 3 more foundation classes. One of them are fix with ducktape, so can’t shoot for 12 or 11 field.

Foundation's computer tables which they just put last year, are deformed (well, we need deforming on 3D not on the table)

We don’t have Wacom for everybody. We have to rent it from resource and there are only few of 4x6s.

We have one mirror at 3D class, and narrow 2 mirrors for classical animation room. Which is necessary to act out before animate.

Classroom 1 (for term 1,2) is sometime very hot because of ventilation problem. Much hotter then you can imagine.

Maya classroom used to use as a hallway.

3D program sharing the building with several companies.

Faculties
Some instructors are professional but don't know how to teach(I guess it happens in most of school), some teachers can teach but don't know about industry stuff well. Some are give us same material that they used use few years ago.

Some instructors don't have any industrial experience, they hired after graduate school.

School doesn’t really care about students. They asking our idea but don’t look like take care about it. We have evaluations for instructors and TAs, but even someone got really bad evaluation that doesn’t change much. Plus we don't have the choice for ‘BAD’ for overall in Evaluation sheet. There are only box from “Excellent” to “Fair”

Some instructors are sarcastic about that you don't understand ENGLISH well. Even though more then half of the class are foreigners.

Curriculum
Term 1,2 is not busy if you just finish your assignment. Term 3 is very busy. Term 4, 5, 6 are for your demo reel. You can be really busy of not depends on you.

Don’t’ have good composting class.

Use XSI all the time except for who in Visual Effect Stream in Term 4~6. Have few Maya intro classes and then move to Advance Maya, they assume that you can transfer XSI to Maya in few weeks by yourself. Someone go to other school to learn it.

In the Visual Effect stream, most of stuff you have to figured out by your self.

In animation stream there are some good instructors, include head instructor who has a great eyes for animation. We have only 2 terms of classical animation and it’s not intense.

For International student

School not offer one year woke permit which some school does like Art Institute. You don’t need good English skill or score(even it’s on the require list) to enter and won’t have problem to graduate. But won’t be able to learn much or make a good demo reel.

Tuition
Increased about 10% every year and this year increased about 30%.

Students

A lot of talented and/or Enthusiastic people from all around the world. It makes a good competition and network. Also there are many feedbacks and helping each other. This it the best point to coming.

Most of them complained about the stuffs up there.

School said, “Trying to make is better” for some stuff, but this is the situation right now at VFS.

dguy
06-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I will be attending VFS in oct. I'm still looking for a place to stay, and would preferable stay with a fellow VFS student. Anyone else in my situation?

KOKE
06-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Hi everyone,

I will be attending VFS in oct. I'm still looking for a place to stay, and would preferable stay with a fellow VFS student. Anyone else in my situation?

So we are going to be class mates :scream:, I also start in october, I would like to find some place with fellow VFS students as well, maybe we should keep in touch.

VFS adviced me to be at Vancouver city like 3 weeks before starting the course in order to solve housing and bank issues, so thats my plan at the moment.

whalerider
06-16-2005, 02:13 AM
Lol, al300x, good thing I passed up when they accepted me last year (and were wooing me again this year). Somehow I was put off by the fact that they made me an offer almost as soon as they found out I got the cash (I did send a reel, for the record). I wonder, where do the graduates find work - how many of them stay in Vancouver and how many move to other markets?

whalerider
06-16-2005, 02:18 AM
sorry guys need to bring this thread up again

well, right now, i m thinking to enroll in VFS, foundation visual art and design program.

i decided to go there because i tried to apply diff school like cal arts, art centre, school of visual art, and pratt institute , they turned me down :(

and, because i am really lack of drawing skill and lack of art background.
i mean well yes, i know how to use the program like 3dmax, photoshop, painter because right now, i am in AI and they teach me how to use the program.
but its just you know i am really lack of concept and traditional skill...

so do you guys think its a good idea for me to go there and enroll in that program?

and after that i graduate from that program, i want to try work before i decide to come back to school again to get my bachelor degree.
do yu guys think only from that diploma programs, i can get some jobs to start my career?
off course, when i m going there, i will work very hard and try to develop new skills.

and well, for my future career, i want to work as some motion graphic designer or concept artist for movies title and commercial break.

any thought?

motion graphics and concept design are two very different jobs.
for motion graphics you don't need strong 'traditional' skills. all you need to do is learn very well AfterEffects and/or Motion. if you want to do concept design work then you do need strong art background. so first you need to decide which of the two you want to do.

scotty.campbell
06-16-2005, 05:41 AM
Im attending VFS right now and Im at the end of term 4 in the 3d Animation and Visual effects program (XSI). About 3/4 there. Heres my thoughts.

Anyone attending VFS is in for a big surprise. First of all the only people you talk to at first about the school are VFS's "sales reps" they dont know the first thing about the school. Take anything they tell you with a grain of salt. If you wanna know the truth ask the people in the labs when you take a tour.

When you first come to the school your assured you'll have your own computer to work on at all times. For $30 GRAND IDE HOPE SO! (By the way that's going up to $42 grand US.) Just to make sure everyone understands, that's a down right lie right off the get go. You have a computer to work on when it's your lab time, which isn't every day.

The facilities down right suck. The desks may be new, but for what we pay they're not very nice. Personal space is cramped. The bathrooms are about the most disgusting things i've seen in a school before. My highschool was cleaner!

About 75 percent of your training comes from former VFS grads. Just kids that graduated recently and couldn't make it in the industry. Your first 6 months is all taught by them. After that you have two days a week with someone that might be able to help you if they're not busy with the other 30 kids in class. The "Industry professionals" for teachers is pretty much a stretched truth. You work with about 4.

Larry Bafia. Seen the guy about 5 times. Haven't learned a thing from him. So if you think you'll be getting a great education from the guy think again. He may have nice stats on his resume, but he doesn't teach you. He the one that the school talks up for our program.

The computers are decent but they're nothing to be extremly excited about.

Internet! You will have none if you come here. You have 4 little shitty computers you can go on the web with, and they're usually all taken.

Eating facilities. One small room for about 200 students. Deffinetly not nice at lunch time.

So theres just some cons i can think of at the moment. Your reel deffinetly depends on what you put into it. The teachers have about 15 percent influence. Its all up to you.

My over all oppinion....... Dont waist your money. You can probably learn the same amount if you buy some tutorial books and sit down and read them. Go on a few forums, talk to some people and figure stuff out. You can deffinetly do a lot if you put your mind to it here, but the main thing that makes everything so good is the people comming here and the amount we work together. The schools just getting a nice chunk of change for it.

I'de deffinetly do your research and look into other school. OH YEA! and as for the portfolio thing, doesn't matter at all. You can not even know how to hold a pencil and speak english and they'll still let you in. Not that it's bad if you can't speak english. I just think there should be some standards if it's sapposed to be such a good school. They'll lie about that too!

Not trying to bash the school or anything, but i think it needs to be said. Im really dissapointed with the school. I expected a lot more out of it, especially from what they tell you. I'll get out what i put into it though.

dguy
06-16-2005, 03:53 PM
So we are going to be class mates :scream:, I also start in october, I would like to find some place with fellow VFS students as well, maybe we should keep in touch.

VFS adviced me to be at Vancouver city like 3 weeks before starting the course in order to solve housing and bank issues, so thats my plan at the moment.

Cool cool. Can't wait to meet everyone. I'm actually visiting in July to find an a place. I wanna try http://www.bellacc.com (http://www.bellacc.com/) as they have funished student houses, but I would like some feed back on ppl who have used their service.

What banking issues is there? They didn't mention anything like that to me. I wonder if there are branches of American banks in Canada. If anyone can let me know, it's much appreciated.

Whalerider: Right, I got the same feeling when they excepted me. But if you wanna get into the industry, you kinda have a buy a degree. It is a business after all, and VFS is no different than Fullsail, Gnomon, or any university out there.

KOKE
06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
maybe you should think about VFS as a great place for networking, that will also give you good education given that you put in the mix some hard work and not just show a passive attitude.

dguy
06-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Yikes, They don't have internet access? What is up with that? Hmm, i got to look into that when I visit.

Anyways, the alternatives to VFS is Fullsail and Gnomon. They all cost the same, and people say the same thing about those schools, too.

scotty.campbell
06-16-2005, 07:29 PM
hey man just tellin the truth. You guys asked. That's some of the problems. That's what this thread is about isn't it? The problems with VFS?

Arrghman
06-16-2005, 09:29 PM
They pulled internet access from most of the workstations, except for a few 3D related sites. The reasoning the administrating gave that I heard was that people were slacking off during class and just going online and using MSN. Personally, I think if someone wants to pay all this money to go to school and then not do their work and just go online all day, that's their choice :shrug:

They're also instituting much stricter attendence policies, which I also think is silly for the same reason.

I'm about halfway done with the course right now, and for the most part it's been a positive experience. There's definetely some issues at the school, but the same can be said for anywhere. I think my only real complaint is that the administration doesn't really communicate very well with the students, which means that they're not fully aware of what we want, and we're not fully aware of what they're trying to do.

What banking issues is there? They didn't mention anything like that to me. I wonder if there are branches of American banks in Canada. If anyone can let me know, it's much appreciated.

As far as I know, there aren't any branches of US banks in Canada. I had to open a new checking account, which wasn't that big of a hassle. It does take a few weeks for Canadian banks to clear US checks, which can be annoying.

Rwolf
06-17-2005, 04:48 AM
Yikes I hope VFS isn't that bad. I just got accepted for Oct's 3D animation course...
(alot of Positive and negitive feedback in this topic)

VFS is my current alternative to Illustration/3D modeling. (Gave up going to Alberta Collage of Art and Design as I couldn't get accpeted into there Visual Communications course) my 2nd was Sheridan's Illustration course.

My original plan was to attend ACAD and strive to get hired by Bio-ware in Edmonton in the 4th year, that plan failed twice over.

Hope that $30 K (CAN) + living expenses is worth it.

I learned 3DS Max Purly on Internet tutorials, and that can only get you so far, Hope VFS pushes me further, although I will hafto learn maya instead. (I fiddled with the free-version of maya for a hour, couldn't figure it out, and went back to max)

I'm however kind curious if the accptance standards are low. I sent my digital portfolio in, and 2 days later I got my acceptance e-mail, seemed way to quick for me. (1/3 of my portfolio was mid-poly cars I did for myself to play with in "Racer free car simulation", and a few digital and traditional paintings)

Intervain
06-17-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm also half way through the 3d course now and like Arrghman [hello there ;)] I've found the experience to be mostly positive but not perfect.
It is true you work mainly on your own, with the help of your classmates, but that's what I've been prepared for before coming to Canada and that's what I actually like about the school. Still it could do with better facilities for sure - 40 grand should be enough to provide you with your own working station - especially when you're entering the production stage with your demo!
I do not have problems with the teachers or the TAs - Jesse is great, always willing to help and always hanging around but others will help you too whenever you ask them to. Larry is also always willing to talk!

btw Rwolf - you'll mainly learn XSI at VFS, Maya is secondary which I find most annoying... mind you, XSI is an awesome package :) and usually when you know one it's not as hard to learn the others...

Gkaine
06-18-2005, 08:21 AM
you'd think they would have a color printer for us and non-ball mice, but if you ask about it they say they are aware of the problem and have ordered these things, however, they are " tied-up" somewhere else (for 4 months now)
when one class gives over a million dollars someone should be abel to walk down to london drug and pick up a ****ing color printer and a hand full of optical mice for ****'s sake
hooray for disgruntled students

anyway
the school is good overall, the students are the most important part, they are pretty much all hungry and all ready to work long hours and help you. the teachers are good for the most part (there are a coupel awful ones), some hang around till all hours of the night helping people with random stuff (jesse). its really just up to how hard you work in the end, they will provide the means if you are willing to provide your soul. just dont come here expecting the perfect school because its far from it, i could go into further detail but alot of it has been posted already.

dguy
06-18-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm not expecting a perfect school by far, but for 40,000 dollars how do they rationalize not giving you state of the art equipment, let alone optical mice. Since there's really no alternative, I'm gonna be there in OCT anyways. I hope some of you guys posting here will still be around then, and can fill me in about the school some more.

PangSiawYee
06-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Hello there, I'm gonna start my course in 3D Animation and Visual Effects end of this month. I'm quite worried about the course after reading the threads about the facilities in VFS. Anyway, I'll get to know more about it soon and hope everything will be fine. Thanks for the threads, it gave me ideas about VFS and I get to prepare myself more. Hope you guys will still be around to guide me in the future.

PangSiawYee
06-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Hello there, I'm gonna start my course in 3D Animation and Visual Effects end of this month. I'm quite worried about the course after reading the threads about the facilities in VFS. Anyway, I'll get to know more about it soon and hope everything will be fine. Thanks for the threads, it gave me more ideas about VFS and I get to prepare myself more. Will tell you guys more about my experience in VFS soon.

Bsmith
06-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Hey...I have a question for anyone attending VFS...

I was wondering if maybe you could take some pictures of the facilities and computer labs and what not or anything else interesting and post them on here. I know it prolly seems kinda strange but I really want to see what this place looks like and get a feel for it before I have to travel across the country to see it myself.

thanks a lot..

+Bsmith

tofumaster
06-19-2005, 07:03 PM
hi everyone, I use to go AI vancouver - burnaby campus... and while i was enrolling there i compare AI with VFS alot.... on the facilities, courses......etc..... and i have visited VFS a few time to see how it is like..... there is no doubt i was very impressed with some of the work the students did but majority of the students are not as talented. The main reason for VFS reels being so much better than reels coming out other schools is that VFS 's courses mainly targeting "DemoReel" and make sure the student graduate with a demoreel that took each students at least 6 months to work on. 6 months is a very very long time, i often ask grad from VFS about how long it took to do certain piece of art work in him/her reel but i never got a straight answer.

Gkaine
06-19-2005, 07:25 PM
hi everyone, I use to go AI vancouver - burnaby campus... and while i was enrolling there i compare AI with VFS alot.... on the facilities, courses......etc..... and i have visited VFS a few time to see how it is like..... there is no doubt i was very impressed with some of the work the students did but majority of the students are not as talented. The main reason for VFS reels being so much better than reels coming out other schools is that VFS 's courses mainly targeting "DemoReel" and make sure the student graduate with a demoreel that took each students at least 6 months to work on. 6 months is a very very long time, i often ask grad from VFS about how long it took to do certain piece of art work in him/her reel but i never got a straight answer.

6 months isnt that long. how long did you get at ai? isnt that a 4 year program?
the first coupel models usually take students a coupel terms to complete but by last term they usually are pretty fast and pumping out high quality stuff.

tofumaster
06-19-2005, 07:28 PM
6 months isnt that long. how long did you get at ai? isnt that a 4 year program?
the first coupel models usually take students a coupel terms to complete but by last term they usually are pretty fast and pumping out high quality stuff.

AI was 18 months. and with the "game productin workshop" class we barely get a good pure 2 weeks to work on demoreel.

Gkaine
06-19-2005, 07:33 PM
AI was 18 months. and with the "game productin workshop" class we barely get a good pure 2 weeks to work on demoreel.

ai is teh smatr eh?
that just reinforced my vfs choice