PDA

View Full Version : maya <-> max

jister
03-31-2007, 07:18 PM
hey

I'm new here so hope i put this in the right place and nice to join up in what looks like a real pro environment.

I'm a beginner in modeling and am following a tutorial on how to make tree's, the tut uses Maya where i own Max...
now my question is a feature used in the tutorial is a lattice deformer... I found a modifier in max called lattice but that seems to do something totally diffrent.
could any of you show me the tool in max thats the same as the lattice deformer in maya...?

thanks

Jister

ErikSvensson
04-01-2007, 09:26 AM
It was like 1 year since I used max, but I think it's similar tool is called "FFD deformer" or something, in the modifier list.

Erik

jister
04-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Yes you're right! thanks a zitrillion!:thumbsup:

jister
04-03-2007, 09:25 AM
hey again,
my second problem i encounter folowing the tutorial...

hessi (the guy who made the tut) selects a part of his trunk and then rotates it. he first changes the pivot to rotate at the spot where the selected part touches the rest of his trunk...
i tryed changing the pivot in max but can only find hwo to change it for my whole object...

so how do i change the pivot around effecting only my selected part?

thanks
jister

scrimski
04-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Not possible in 3dsmax by default. Maybe there is some script for that, maybe Polyboost or Orionflame are able to handle this(not 100% sure about this, I do my modelling in Wings).

jister
04-03-2007, 10:45 AM
aaaaah thats to bad, most work in the tut has a nice work flow just because of that. it like copy a branch, delete a part and rotate it at the point where it intersects. so you get a nice algorithm in the branch getting smaller and smaller.

ok i still got a maya version 6 maybe try to get the hang of it in maya then...

thanks anyway.

Leionaaad
04-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Actually it is possible.
When you want to do any kind of transformation, it needs a coordinate system. The default is wiew or word...I don't know. HTen you have the 3 fly-out buttons...Use pivot-point center, use selection center and another one. THese options are right near the transformation buttons (move, rotate, scale). The coordiante system is a drop down menu...

You create an object, select your tree, go to the coordinate options and chose pick...or object...I forgot the name. Then you select the object. You should see the pivot where the object is...
Just play with those settings, perhaps you have to change the pivot poiint options (is the button near the drop-down list)...I haven't used max for more than a year, so I forgot the exact names.

jister
04-06-2007, 06:06 PM
ok thx i'll try that! maya wasn't working out that well :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2007, 06:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.