PDA

View Full Version : 3D Design: for beginners

RaXavier69
03-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Greetings once again all,

Let me once again start by saying WOW, and freaking WOW. Great work all around. I see all this great 3D art you guys/gals are designning and i was wondering if i should give it a shot. Now there are a few programs out there for 3D design, so having such a huge community of great designners i thought to my self; why not get it straight from the horse's mouth.

What program do you guys advice for a beginner for 3D design? I see some using Maya would that eb the ebst choice for a beginner? or is there another program i should first get my feet wet with before hitting the ground and tring to run? I usally use Photoshop; but there is jsut so much you can do in PS.

thanks again for your time guys and valued advice.
Sincerely,
RaXavier69
Newby on the block

frodo2975
03-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi,
I'm new here as well (I've been lurking around, but never posted), although I've been doing 3d stuff for about a year. It's a lot of fun, so I would definitely recommend trying it, although it does take some work/dedication to learn.

What program you use can depend on your budget. Maya is very good, but its expensive. From what I have heard, 3ds max is similar in price and what you can do with it. If you just want to try 3d modeling, go for a free program first, to see if you like it or not. Blender is (in my opinion) the best free program. Or, you could try a free demo edition of one of the more expensive programs, like Maya.

I personally started on Blender. It is not quite as beginner friendly as some others, but it is quite powerful. However, my dad got me maya for Christmas, so I'm learning it. I would say try 3d modeling and see if you like it, I personally think its a lot of fun, so go for it.

formerself
03-31-2007, 01:56 AM
ill give you the generic response

it doesnt matter what program you use, you will be able to come up with most anything put up on here with any of them. its recommended you go to each of there sites and download the demos and spend a little time with each package to figure which one you like the most. from what ive heard xsi is really intuitive as far as modeling goes for beginners. ive started out on 3dmax and its pretty complicated and took a while just to get the very basic bits of modeling down, but it seems very powerful. i havent run into anything yet that i couldnt get a quick answer from someone here about.

anyways just download the demos because making a possible $1000+ purchase should definitly only occur after taking the package for a testdrive same as a car.

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2007, 01:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.