PDA

View Full Version : Parenting Limits

MellowFellon
03-30-2007, 09:26 AM
I am trying to get the tree's in my archviz scnene to look-at the camera, while I move it. Now I have created a null for each tree, and this null is parented to the camera, also I have put the camera as the target item for the same null. While this work great for any X and Z motion of the camera. Of course when I move the camera on it's Y axis the null go's down too. Which means the trees Lean towards the camera.

How can I fix this?

MellowFellon
03-30-2007, 01:01 PM
I see Pawel has a plugin called face2camera, but I think I have found a way with the follower plugin. Only issue is, how do I stop the tree's from tilting? When the camera goes up and down on the Y, it causes the trees to tilt. One more thing the camera is targeted to a null in the centre of the scene.

biliousfrog
03-30-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm sure that there's an easier way but how about parenting the camera to a null & have the trees target the camera parent. Use the camera's parent null for X-Z movement & simply move the camera itself for Y movement.

Triple G
03-30-2007, 11:48 PM
In motion options for the trees, under controllers & limits, set the pitch controller to keyframes instead of point at target.

MellowFellon
04-02-2007, 01:58 PM
ok, i got it working but i used your technique bfrog. not sure about what you saying with the keyframes. What effect will this have? You are talking about the first rig I had right?

Triple G
04-02-2007, 03:38 PM
It sounds to me like you're overcomplicating things. All you should need to do is target all of your trees to the camera, and as I said before, in the motion options tell them to Align to Target on heading only...set pitch to Keyframes.

Werner
04-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Don't use Targeting. Rather use the plg_IK plugin found here (http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm).
Place the plg_IK_Top plugin on all your trees under motion modifiers, and choose the camera as their goal objects. Now you can still use limits on the trees to keep them from rotating on the pitch channel.

Cageman
04-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Don't use Targeting. Rather use the plg_IK plugin found here (http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm).
Place the plg_IK_Top plugin on all your trees under motion modifiers, and choose the camera as their goal objects. Now you can still use limits on the trees to keep them from rotating on the pitch channel.

Hmm... Using Motion Options and Target Item, you can select any number of objects and apply targeting as well as turning of any rotation axes in Controllers and Limits.

EDIT: What benefits does plg_IK give in a situation like this? If the guy already has 100 trees in his scene, he would manually have to go through each one and apply the plg_IK tool...

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2007, 06:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.