PDA

View Full Version : VFS short by Dongkun Yoon

jigsawe
03-30-2007, 05:46 AM
Hi, I have finished my short piece here at the 3d animation and visual effects program at VFS. The sound is just the temp track for now. The final sound will be updated in a week or so. Also, if i have time, i will work more on the lighting/rendering.
I am currently looking for a job as an animator.
enjoy:
============== updated with sound ============

http://www.dongkunyoon.com/quicktime/3D62_Dongkun_24fps_352x192_H264.mp4 (50megs)
http://www.dongkunyoon.com/quicktime/3D62_Dongkun_24fps_720x384_H264.mp4 (90megs)

you can visit my website for other animations i have done in the past.
www.dongkunyoon.com (http://www.dongkunyoon.com)

Booyah
03-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Very interesting short. Pretty good animation and interesting point of view. I;m not sure why your character is supposed to die at the end and why he looks like a crack head compared to the pics with his girl. Did they break up and he's been going down hill ever since and is now stuck with the bird? Some parts of your animation I don't really get, not that the intitial animation wasn't really good because it was but the whole puking scene at the beginning and him hitting the bum, not sure if it was relevant to the character or what. My only critique on the animation was when he is picking himself up from the meter after getting knocked down, His hand is moving up but if he were picking himself up his hand would really be being pulled down to pull his body up. Good stuff though.

Trident19
03-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Good stuff man. I really enjoyed your piece. The bum slap's hillarious.

dude5487
03-30-2007, 10:39 PM
What is it with all of you guys coming out of VFS? You guys are like a breeding ground for awesome reels and shorts!

IANSTUDIO
03-31-2007, 02:13 AM
Hey! roomie It's me
You did really great job!! everything's great. I really like the lighting and colour
Is it your final??? are you comming back to korea???
anyway please Email me
I'm working at a visual effect studio as a 2d compositor
I hope I can see U If U come back to korea

iansihong@hotmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/iansihong@hotmail.com)
010-6471-4398

buscard
03-31-2007, 03:00 AM
Yo DonkeyKonG!!

Whats up dude? cant belive no one from VFS has posted a reply yet. It's probably cus nobody likes you!!
It has been a pleasure having you as my personal assistant throughout these last couple years, but unfortunatly i have to let you go. sorry buddy you're fired.
But hey, you'll always have your animation to fall back on.
Maybe one day you'll be a real live boy!! haha.
Awesome work as usual man. I always laugh at the hobo slap. You might want to have a low-res version of your short online too.
Cheers!
~cliff

JamesMcPhail
03-31-2007, 06:26 AM
Congratulations on finishing your reel Donkun. I think its great that it still makes me laugh after seeing it develop over the last few months. Its kinda crazy you have gotten it all done a full two weeks before the deadline as well.

I love the hobo slap & the parking meter. But the leg break at the end gets me every time.

I'm sure you are going to have yourself a job in no time :)

Rwolf
03-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Nice, also should be very nice once you get your final sound in!

jigsawe
03-31-2007, 03:13 PM
thanks for your comments!

booyah: yes, i have been fighting with the motivation thing from the very beginning. it was hard to put the whole story into a short length.

trident: thanks!

roomie: whats up man! long time no hear! yes, i will email u soon, its awesome u got a job!

buscard: no, everyone likes me, people at vfs just hate cgtalk. but yes, i will be putting up a lowrez when my sound is completed! u were a great resource during the 2 years too. I would have never survived in vancouver. u almost made me a canadian.

james:thanks! u were a great help with all the comping probs i had too!

rwolf: coming soon.... my sound designer is doing a great job. I actually laughed out loud at the sound when he dies at the end. and it wasnt even done. i cant wait too!

Oikman
03-31-2007, 09:15 PM
hey man great work, its good to see you finally got it all together. gratz

buscard
04-01-2007, 10:11 PM
yo Don, i just noticed. what happened to the motion blur???

BelieverDeceiver
04-03-2007, 02:17 AM
Job well done Don! Lookin good! Very solid reel. Im lookin forward to workin beside you in scholarship! Cant wait to see what you animate next Im sure it will be top notch!

jigsawe
04-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Oikman - Thanks ian!

buscard - The motion blur ate a lot of render time. If I have more time to work on this I will try and put it in.

nosaj - thanks man, can wait too,

remow
04-23-2007, 03:09 AM
great piece! you have a pretty dark sense of humour. It was an honour being in class with you, I expect great things form you in the future (so don't let me down... ;-))

Tenkiboi
04-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Nice work Dongkun, looks pretty damn good.. Just relax and check out girls during the break.. then go all out on the job hunt.. you deserve it after all that allnighter. haha well good luck in the future.

-tom

wizocrat
05-01-2007, 04:47 AM
cool dude.....congrats for ur scholarship....

then wats happening?? any job offers???

i guess u started ur second project already...anyhow will cya in school sometime....

wish u all success

Sar

}-{obbes
05-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Good stuff in general, I really cringed looking at the flailing legs in the car impact.

I do have a couple crits though, a couple serious "what?" moments and a couple just small physics things.
I'll start small, in the beginning, when he's puking, his stomach doesnt deflate. Throwing up is teh stomach contracting to purge. So you'd expect some movement there.
Second, when he throws the apple at the cage...its thrown really hard, impacting the bars apparently so hard that the rather thick bars cut into the apple to make it stick, yet all that happens to the cage is the door pops open, no bending of bars nothing. The apple doesnt look rotten, and even if it was it would have impacted softly to get stuck, not with the force of impact it did.
Last of the small, the hobo slap. I love the idea, but the slap itself seems off to me. Just the simple distance he is from the hobo, with his fully extended back arm and the forward swing, not only does it sorta look like he'd hit the wall, but also it looks like only the fingertips graze the hobo, not giving the impact that the hobo displays.

Now for the big things that caught my attention. The hobo trip area. In the side shot he's well in the middle of the alley when he trips. The next shot of him immediatly up he's midway on the dumpster, and the next shot he's right in front of the corner of the bricks. All without walking. So not only is teleporting, but where the hobo is positioned he should have tripped MUCH sooner than the middle of the alley.
And lastly, the car impact. You hear the car noise coming from the right. You see the car come and impact from right to left on the screen in the shot cut. But the car impacts the guy in the back. In the shot before there was not even a trace of the car coming from behind him, and so his orientation in the impact shot is WAY off. I figure you did it from the back for the impact rotation (or maybe you did impact first?) but the difference is HUGELY noticable.

Ok, sorry if this seems like a shot to the gut, gotta say it how i see it though. I really liked the concept and the rest of the shots as well, just those little things really stuck out.

Random Sime
05-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Pretty cool. Efficient low poly designs ;) It's refreshing to see something different from ZBrushed hyper-detail!

Thought the leap after the bum-slap was a bit too out of character when he's really jerking himself around in other shots. And the music... it's gotta change! The same 14 second loop over and over... NO!

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2007, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.