PDA

View Full Version : is ".iff" dying?

tymznd
03-30-2007, 04:23 AM
I used to render to "iff" format cause it was the default of both Maya and Shake.... but I don't know if anyone has noticed that Apple is killing Shake and has dropped "iff" support (notice how you can't preview it anymore).

Any recommendations for rendering in a good generic(multi OS / compositor) format?

jeremybirn
03-30-2007, 05:31 AM
I never use .iff and only find the fact that it's a default to be annoying.

Much of the industry uses TIFF files. The good thing about TIFF is that it's a very flexible format, and you can store just about anything in it. The bad thing about TIFF is that it's a very flexible format, so different programs store different incompatible things in TIFF files.

OpenEXR seems like a terrific format in just about every respect. If I were looking towards the future, I'd consider OpenEXR for all your future projects.

-jeremy

floze
03-30-2007, 10:05 AM
[...] OpenEXR seems like a terrific format in just about every respect. If I were looking towards the future, I'd consider OpenEXR for all your future projects.

-jeremy
Pixar people promoting an ILM format?? Must be dreaming... ;)

But seriously, imho it's the best format out there right now, too. The standard maya implementation is rather poor though, if you want to exploit all the power of it you probably need to use special output shaders - if you're using mental ray.

beaker
03-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Much of the industry uses TIFF files. The good thing about TIFF is that it's a very flexible format, and you can store just about anything in it. The bad thing about TIFF is that it's a very flexible format, so different programs store different incompatible things in TIFF files.Personally I can't stand Tiff. None of the programmers on applications keep up with the spec on it so every program writes out a format that another can't read. Prman can only read one type of tif, FFI another, etc... I never use Tif if I don't have too. Yes, every app can read uncompressed Tiffs, but then whats the point?

beaker
03-30-2007, 07:59 PM
I used to render to "iff" format cause it was the default of both Maya and Shake.... but I don't know if anyone has noticed that Apple is killing Shake and has dropped "iff" support (notice how you can't preview it anymore).Why does killing Shake = dropping iff support? What do you mean by you can't preview it anymore?

BTW, all they did was end the current encarnation of Shake, they are working on the next gen version of Shake.

Any recommendations for rendering in a good generic(multi OS / compositor) format?I agree with everyone, Exr is the new great format. I compresses the smallest by far and is lossless and supports 32 bit.

Jozvex
03-30-2007, 10:28 PM
I've come to dislike the TIFF format because of incompatibility reasons too. I generally use TGA but like everyone else, OpenEXR is the way to go and I'm starting to move over to it too.

:thumbsup:

techmage
03-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Been using openexr on every project for months now. I wouldn't use anything else.

acidream
03-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Is there any benefit to using openEXR if you don't use 32-bit framebuffers?

beaker
03-31-2007, 02:11 AM
Is there any benefit to using openEXR if you don't use 32-bit framebuffers?It gives you the smallest lossless compressed file format and can store more then just rgba. For example you could just render 100 mattes into a single file.

yinako
03-31-2007, 05:08 AM
yes Iff is nice, cause it works well with shake. I still can't get over apple, killing off shake, I hate them :( to this day I refuse to use anything else but shake 2.5..it was innocent and smart program, beautifully designed... and apple had to abduct it :(

But recently I stoped much of IFF, cause everytime I edit it in something like PS i had to reinstall some reader for IFF, just a hassel. so I go with PNG, but then again maya some times renderes out unreadable PNG from render view, and PS wont read them. so I stop with that and eventually rendered out TIFFS...as much I hate them, every other client uses them...

Chris-TC
03-31-2007, 08:22 AM
OpenEXR all the way. I use it on almost every project.

tymznd
03-31-2007, 07:44 PM
"Why does killing Shake = dropping iff support? What do you mean by you can't preview it anymore?"

Beaker - Back in 10.3 or so I used to be able to go into column view and preview all the "iffs", then with the OS upgrade all previews are now unrecognized... is this not the same for you?

beaker
04-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Beaker - Back in 10.3 or so I used to be able to go into column view and preview all the "iffs", then with the OS upgrade all previews are now unrecognized... is this not the same for you?Nope, it never loaded IFF by default. You probably had Maya or Maya PLE installed which includes an IFF for quicktime plugin. If quicktime can read it then so can the finder.

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2007, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.