PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys feel about commotion?

Gilgamesh
03-07-2003, 10:57 AM
How do you guys feel about commotion?
I'm not a big fan of pinnacle systems, but since I've been learning more and more about After Effects, the more dissapointed I get about it's tracking and keying abilities. I am interested in a lower end compositing solution.
Combustion seems nice, but I understand that the development team was disbanded, which could make it a sketchy investment if there aren't going to be any upgrades or patches.
That leaves commotion, which I have never really heard anyone talk about in this forum. I just downloaded the demo, and it seems pretty well rounded. That is to say, most the aspects of a compositor seem to exist in it.
Anyone have experience with this program? Any professional experience? I'd love to hear about it.

GrantKay
03-07-2003, 01:22 PM
To the attention of the entire Compositing forum:

COMBUSTION HAS NOT BEEN DISCONTINUED!!!! THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM HAS NOT BEEN DISBANDED!!!! WE ARE IN FULL SWING WITH THE SOFTWARE'S DEVELOPMENT AND ADVANCEMENT!

ALL THESE ARE RUMORS ARE COMPLETELY FALSE!

Gilgamesh, Combustion is still an alternative for you. Do not rule out products based on rumors that you have heard.

If anyone else believes any other rumors they have heard, I will gladly straighten them out...

Many thanks for your time and thanks to everyone for their continued support for combustion.

Regards
Grant

Application Engineer in Visual Effects - EMEA
Discreet
United Kingdom

Gilgamesh
03-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Really now, tell me more!
These rumours must be pretty strong, because even at my school they don't teach combustion anymore for that reason. My instructor said they don't know what's going to happen with it in the next couple years, so they don't want to spend the time teaching it to students.
Combustion is probably the most appealing compositing software in my eyes.
I am still interested in learning about Commotion, though, simply because it seems to be left out of the list when it comes to compositing softwares.

beaker
03-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Commotion was an awsome roto/paint tool and then after pinnacle bought it up they tried to turn it into a full compositor. It was mac only up till version 2.1 then Scott Squires sold it to pinnacle(Scott Squires is one of the visualfx supervisors at ILM). It is still good at what it does(roto/paint), but if you run a mac and can get ahold of 2.1, it was a better tool back then. Pinnacle kind of diluted it by trying to make it like afterfx. They should have tried to keep on improving on the allready awsome tools that it had. It still to this day has many really cool roto/paint features that most compositors still dont have. Although many specialized tools like Mokey and Pixeldust have taken some of those ideas in commotion one step further by automating them. Commotion has a cool super clone tool that lets you clone from other frames so you can paint out objects in a scene.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.