PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot Redhat/Win2k: 2 Hard drives

somlor
03-07-2003, 11:25 AM
I'm about to set up a dual boot Win2k/Redhat system, but I've never done it with two hard drives, one for each. Can anyone recommend the best way to go about this? Should Win2k or Redhat be on the slave drive? What should I use as the bootloader and how should I set that up properly? Which OS should I install first, etc ...

If someone could give me a simple step by step that would be great.

Also, I've heard to stay away from Redhat 8 for graphics/3d work. Is this true and why?

Thanks,
[s]

wmendez
03-07-2003, 03:19 PM
I currently have Linux on a SCSI drive and XP on an IDE, I switch between what OS I want to use in the Bios. I either select IDE or SCSI as the boot device.

I have RH 8.0 and an External Drive as well So far I have had no issues with it and actually like it better than 7.3. The important thing that I noticed is to use the Nvidia drivers.

Red Hat is coming out with a 32 Bit Technical Workstation aimed at DCC, CAD , & CAM in a month or 2.

PlanetMongo
03-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Always install any Windows OS first. If not, you'll find yourself digging for your rescue CD/disk so you can mess around with LILO getting it working right.

It's relatively easy, install Windows2k, then install Linux on the second drive (just remember to select hdb, mkay?) and then you'll probably have to edit lilo.conf for windows. Tons of tutorials around, try looking at linuxnewbie.org
My Setup: Windows 2k on the primary (master), Linux (debian) on the slave.

I can do this with my eyes practically shut, but then again, if you've never done it, I know it can seem daunting. :P

Try this thread for some answers: linux newbie . org (great site, btw) (http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=86224&highlight=dual+boot+linux+windows+2000)

HOpe this helps.

beaker
03-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Another thing I would check out if you plan to use linux alot is VMWare and windows every once in a while. It is a virtual machine. That way you just "boot" into windows from inside linux. I only need windows for a few things like dreamweaver. So this solution works perfect for me.
http://www.vmware.com/

PlanetMongo
03-07-2003, 08:27 PM
If you're going to go that far, check with WineHQ and see if the windows apps you use work under Wine. But then, that involves another layer of complexity that you may not wish to deal with.. :P

FWIW, I used to run vmware under Win2k (actually bought and paid for a license, and back then you could have 3 instances running simultaneously!) and ran Linux in the vm.

I think most of my apps run under wine now, but I'm happy under Win2k at the moment, so I'm in no hurry to switch. Granted, I give it 5 or 6 months and it'll piss me off for some reason and then I'll be looking to switch back (or to Mac OS X), but until then, I'm Bill's bitch. :P

wmendez
03-07-2003, 09:02 PM
www.codeweavers.com are doing a good job as well, I have there plugin which lets me view and play Quicktime, WMV, AVI files as well as other PC plugins for browsers.

Word is that they are getting photoshop and various macromedia products to work with Linux

somlor
03-08-2003, 12:56 AM
Thanks guys. So I'm going to install Win2k first on the master and then Redhat on the slave.

VMWare looks very cool. I hear Dreamworks uses it to run Photoshop on their Linux workstations. :)

[s]

wmendez
03-08-2003, 02:18 AM
Yes, also as planetmong said you install the linux boot partition on the slave drive

dvornik
03-08-2003, 02:49 AM
Some people are really adamant about the following software for this task:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

somlor
03-08-2003, 07:23 AM
But if I put the Linux boot partition on the slave, what will my boot loader be? The Win2k Loader, or Lilo? You mentioned that you choose the boot drive from the bios, does that mean every time you boot you have to hold down delete (or whatever) go throught the bios and change the drive to boot from?

Ages ago I vaguely remember dumping a Linux pointer of some sort to a disk and then putting it on my Win2k partition. Then I referred my Win2k Loader to it so that it could find the Linux boot sector. I guess that wouldn't work with separate drives though.

Dvornik: Looks useful. Will this present me a simple menu at start up to choose which OS to boot? That's essentially what I'm looking for here.

[s]

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.