PDA

View Full Version : How much do you think this site is worth?

alaklij
03-07-2003, 07:43 AM
How much do you think this website is worth?
I'm very curious! I have been asked to do further work on this site I recently completed, yet I suspect I got burned on the first check. Give me realistic numbers if you can. I was told this site could be worth 35,000 by a fellow web developer, and now he is telling me I got burned.

I plan to do more work for this client and I want to be sure I'm at least at fair market value and properly compensated.

Everything you see was done by me. Everything.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

http://www.mcdonaldhearingaid.com

Ian Jones
03-07-2003, 02:07 PM
In what Currency? I know that I can look at your location 'sacramento, CA' to find out... but to someone who doesn't know where that is it is still a vague question. Please, America is not the only nation on the planet. Not everyone naturally assumes that you mean $US because, not everyone lives in the US. Sorry, but that is just a pet peeve of mine. It's just as bad as godamn M$ software which has hardly any options to select your country of residence when installing. Although recently they are getting better...

*grunt* :surprised :hmm:

DainBramaged
03-07-2003, 03:36 PM
The Graphic Artists Guild has an Ethical Guidelines and Pricing Book that is considered widely as the standard for this sort of thing.

You will have to evaluate how much time you spent, how much your talent is worth, and decide how little you will settle for(since somebody is always ready to undercut your price). Personally, I think that the 3D you created is worth far more than the site itself, and the client should be gently informed of that. The site itself could have been pretty easily put together in a couple of evenings. The 3d, no doubt, took up quite a bit more of your time. (If I'm wrong, please forgive my assumptions). Anyway, the point is, if you want more money, you have to find a way to explain to the client why it is worth more....in your case, the 3d is what makes you the person for the job as opposed to some 12 year-old with a mac and flash (who would probably build a cheesy site for 200USD).

I would also recommend locking in at least a ballpark price before your next project begins--in writing. If you trust the person enough to work for them without a contract, you should still probably have already explained the amount of work to them, and agreed on the price.

Good Luck,
Dain

alaklij
03-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Ok, thanks for your replies. That helps.

alaklij
03-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Ian Jones
In what Currency? I know that I can look at your location 'sacramento, CA' to find out... but to someone who doesn't know where that is it is still a vague question. Please, America is not the only nation on the planet. Not everyone naturally assumes that you mean $US because, not everyone lives in the US. Sorry, but that is just a pet peeve of mine. It's just as bad as godamn M$ software which has hardly any options to select your country of residence when installing. Although recently they are getting better...

*grunt* :surprised :hmm:

Right, sorry about that. I meant to say the American dollar.

fig
03-07-2003, 05:25 PM
35k for a site sounds rather high. there's a lot of variables to consider, like how much of the 3d work you did, how much meeting/planning/sitemap development time was needed, and how long the actual site took to build. i can't say for sure depending on how long every aspect of the project took, but for an individual designer/developer i'd ballpark it somewhere in the 7-9k range (assuming most of the 3d work was done by you).

chris

alaklij
03-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by fig
35k for a site sounds rather high. there's a lot of variables to consider, like how much of the 3d work you did, how much meeting/planning/sitemap development time was needed, and how long the actual site took to build. i can't say for sure depending on how long every aspect of the project took, but for an individual designer/developer i'd ballpark it somewhere in the 7-9k range (assuming most of the 3d work was done by you).

chris

That's right, I made all of the 3d. And I agree with you about the inflated number. After finding more opinions and finding information of what other developers would charge, I found I was in right price range.

jadedchron
03-08-2003, 09:41 PM
$35,000 usd lolol

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.