PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Demo Reel

dude5487
03-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi all. I am very proud to say that I have put together a demo reel of the rigs I have worked on.

This reel was made for the associate level portfolio class at my school, and next year I will be taking the bachelor level.

I look forward to any and all comments. Please let me know what you all think. So without further ado here is my rigging demo reel.

Full Screen.
www.josh-lynch.com/Rigging_Demo_Reel_Spring_3_full.mov (http://www.josh-lynch.com/Rigging_Demo_Reel_Spring_3_full.mov)

Smaller.
www.josh-lynch.com/Rigging_Demo_Reel_Spring_3_large.mov (http://www.josh-lynch.com/Rigging_Demo_Reel_Spring_3_large.mov)

- Josh Lynch

everlite
03-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey,

Looks well mate, don't know that much about rigging so can't really comment on the techi part.

My only suggestion for future revisions would be to rig a few different models, ie; a human, a dog, bird etc, enough to show diversity. Also the quicktime launches into full screen which can sometimes be a little annoying.

But so far, so good. Stick at it :thumbsup:

- Dave.

dude5487
03-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the response!

I will have to change the text above that link to let people know it launches to full screen, I will take it down and replace with a diff high res version later.

I plan on rigging the creature you had responded to on another thread in XSI as well as another type of animal.

anim8tedtoon
03-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Nice reel man. The characters you rigged seem very unique. I really the guy with four arms my only critiques I would like to see some animation on these characters. That way i can see the rigs in action and wat stuff you with the rig as well as deformation. i wouldnt mind animating the four arm guy he my fav. Good luck on ur job search.

dude5487
03-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Thank you very much for your feedback!

I have had many people say that they would like to see the characters animated. I have some animation I can throw on for one rig, but not for the other two as of yet.

The potato head is actually animated on my web site, www.josh-lynch.com, though I am currently in the process of refining that animation, you can see what I had as of last production.

As for the female I am going to do a short animation pretty soon, maybe like a lifting or something short like that.

For the four armed character, I did that for an animation student in France, it is his model I just set up the rig. If you would like his email let me know :).

I am actually not looking for a job right now this is a reel I did for an associate level portfolio class, I have one more to go and that will happen at my final semester which is a year from now.

Thanks again!

Josh

Banshax
03-30-2007, 03:18 PM
The first rig: female
Shoulders, neck, arm, hip look solid. Esp shoulders etc is tough, good job
footroll is nice, where is the footroll on ball of the foot? its essential
for even the simplest of walkcycles. I mean this:
http://www.podiatre.com/images/Plant.jpg

Second rig: 4 armed Cartoony maya dude
stretchy lumbar would be great, not a requirement per se
stretchy arms, instead of a scale attribute, why not make the hand controler dragable so
the arm stretches? not a requirement per se either.
Footrol, same as female rig.

third 3: mr patato dude
independant eyelid control? eyes are incredibly important for showing emotion.
I`d consider that a requirement.
hand deformation looks ok, slightly feels like bent sausages

Overall, really intuitive controls. Clean rigs, quite predictable. Im not a rigger, but your
reel looks quite good. Your rigs do what they must and have very little "un needed sexy automated nonsense". Keep it up!

How to improve? Jason scheifers "Fast animation rigs" is a must have dvd for riggers. His footcontrol is great too. For higher end rigging try Fahrenheit digital, they have 3 rigging dvd`s of top not no nonsense quality. Well worth it.

On a side note, it pays off to know a bit about animation, however for your reel, showing badly animated high quality rigs wont do much good. Ofcourse showing a bit more motion like some simple cycles of one leg moving or somthing cant hurt.

csc2h
03-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Since you gave me some comments on my rigging reel I think its only fair to return the favor. You have some pretty nice stuff. Good job on your reel!

My biggest complaint about your reel is that you have motion blur turned on. I was trying to look at the deformations and could not see them because of motion blur. Remember that deformations are one of the most important aspects of rigging.

Your rigs look good and clean and simple, you have got that part down. You definately need to put a few animations in there. Either make some your own (very simple stuff) or find a friend to do something for you. Again, as I have found out - with a rigging reel it really depends on WHO watches it (animator, rigger, producer, etc.). A rigger is going to look at deformations and animations with the rigs. An animator wants to see easy to use rigs and controls.

On the other hand, all your rigs are real similar. I love the four armed guy, I would honestly stick him first in your reel because he is the most interesting in my opinion. I think though you need to find something complicated to rig. I'm not saying somethings need to be complicated, but for example one of your cartoon characters could use "smart offsets" (grouping) and the follicle method of stretching - which is now pretty common among most stretchy rigs from the Super Toon Series. Or show a really nice face setup with stretchy features, or that you can take the arms off a character. This kind of stuff is always good (I need more of it myself even).

But overall, your rigs are clean and you are in the right track. Good luck on the job search, I'm sure you will find something! :thumbsup:

--Chase Cooper--
Setup Artist
www.3dcooper.com (http://www.3dcooper.com)

anim8tedtoon
03-30-2007, 07:04 PM
hello again thanks for getting back to me about that character. Actually i would like it very much to have his email if u dont mind. Also if u like I wouldnt mind animating other characters for you as well. I cant do it right now cuz im finishing up my new demo reel but soon I'll have alittle more free time to do so.

Thanks man
Ryan H.
rynhaynes@yahoo.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/rynhaynes@yahoo.com)

dude5487
03-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Banshax - Thank you for your feedback!

First Rig- Thank you. The ball is according to that image you sent me on this rig.
Second rig - First of all I want to say that on this rig I did not model it nor dig I go all out on the rigging. I was given a rigging chart to follow and specific requests from the animator. So stretchy lumbar, yes I could do that but he did not want that. Also for the hand stretching the whole arm, he did not want that, he want to be able to select the should or elbow and stretch them, or both and do it uniformely. Again footrool is similar to female rig.
Third rig - Ah yes potato head :). He was the first completed character I had made. I will really take into acct having independent eye lid controls, in fact I might go in and add those this weekend and recapture the potato head rig section.
I just did a quick google search on Jason scheifers "Fast animation rigs". I was not able to turn up anything, would you be able to tell me where to find what you are talking about? As for Fahrenheit Digital I already have one of their kits and am ordering the other 2 soon.

People seem to be wanting to see animations of some sort, however simple. I will get on that soon :).

csc2h- Thank you for returning the favor haha. Thank you for the kind words. I do not recall going out of my way to turn on any kind of motion blur in my workflow on putting this together, I think it may be just the increased speed of the capture causing this. I had a hard time on that with this, either it was way to fast or too slow, so I went with this. But if you see it as an issue then so do many others and I will really take this into account when I revisit this project later on. As for deformations being important, I had tried to really capture that with the female rig, in fact the old capture I had done in no way compares to the new one.

Again with the animations :). I will be putting together something fairly soon, that is if finals work doesnt consume my soul entirely haha. You also mention a really nice face set up, I am going to be working on that when this semester is over. I personally feel that that is the biggest thing lacking from my reel. You also mention being able to take arms off of characters, potato heads feet are removable, though that is not the same as an arm I understand.

Thank you again for your feedback!

majinVegeta- Np. I will PM you soon with the email and about you wanting to do animations for me.

Thank you all for your feedback. When I make my new reel I am going to have a lot of more knowledge of what people are going to be looking for and how to improve myself and I thank you for that!

Banshax
03-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Keep it up with the rigging :]
Cool to hear u already got the fahrenheit one.

http://homepage.mac.com/jschleifer/HomePage/dvds.html

eek
04-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi Josh,

I got your PM, so ill be checking your reel today (just got up lol) and give you some feedback on your stuff.

EDIT:

ok here are some pointers:

You have a solid reel but its way too fast, your showing the control to good use but im lost in it all
The deformation on the skin looks a bit off
A demo should show good deformation, good ease of use and 'out of the box' ideas.
put a breakdown of the reel at the beginning or on your site, eg. foot controls, knee twist, face system etc
Support the reel if possible with animation, but seperate this into a different section
dont rush through the reel, I want to examine, how you aproach a rig, its not a technology 'show off', but rather proving yourself to me that you can make a powerful rig to support animators.
Show some unique ideas, R&D, scripts, even if they dont work fully - they prove to me you can think ' out of the box' TDs are the guys who can fix anything, we have to come up with solutions on the fly, so we have to constantly break the rules.
its quality not quantity especially in rigging, an amazing facial rig will be better than a set of mediocre character rigs.
Understand why your rigging a character the way you are, dont think in terms of a set of systems the rig needs, think what this character needs to do and go from there.
show variations of rig, quadraped, bipedal - different technical issues for example a bird rig compared to a dog will be very different
Solve technical issues, how you would fix gimbal for instance, twist in the shoulder -everyday problems animators face. Half the battle of a rig is not only to provide controls for the animator for ease of use, but also the tools to fix problems they get into : flipping, root offsets, counter rotation etc etc
Hope this helps, what your proving to respective companys is firstly that you can rig well and provide the controls for the animator, build rigs to support the demand of the production and not add unnessasary controls, tools to keep the production streamlined efficent and to fix problems that may arise, solid skinning and deformation, and the ability to think out of the box, fixing issues and solving problems on the fly.

cheers,

cheers,

dude5487
04-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

You have a solid reel but its way too fast, your showing the control to good use but im lost in it all
Ok so you think the playblack needs to be slower. I have gotten a lot of mixed feedback on this, not fast enough, too fast, etc.

The deformation on the skin looks a bit off
Where at?

A demo should show good deformation, good ease of use and 'out of the box' ideas.
While watching it did you not get the feeling of “ease of use”?

put a breakdown of the reel at the beginning or on your site, eg. foot controls, knee twist, face system etc
Do you mean prior to the entire reel running or before each rig is displayed? IE the second rig has a stretchy FK system on the arms. Thoughts?

Support the reel if possible with animation, but seperate this into a different section
I have gotten several requests on this, it will be done soon :).

dont rush through the reel, I want to examine, how you aproach a rig, its not a technology 'show off', but rather proving yourself to me that you can make a powerful rig to support animators.
What could I display in my demo reel that would allow you to make a better judgement on what you just mentioned?

Show some unique ideas, R&D, scripts, even if they dont work fully - they prove to me you can think ' out of the box' TDs are the guys who can fix anything, we have to come up with solutions on the fly, so we have to constantly break the rules.
If you do no have any scripts how would you go about showing R&D?

its quality not quantity especially in rigging, an amazing facial rig will be better than a set of mediocre character rigs.
I think you just gave me my next major project :)

show variations of rig, quadraped, bipedal - different technical issues for example a bird rig compared to a dog will be very different
Coming as soon as I can make it happen :).

Solve technical issues, how you would fix gimbal for instance, twist in the shoulder -everyday problems animators face. Half the battle of a rig is not only to provide controls for the animator for ease of use, but also the tools to fix problems they get into : flipping, root offsets, counter rotation etc etc
How would one go about displaying this on a demo reel? Would you like to see these kinds of fixes on as well as off of a character rig?

Thank you so much for the feedback it is much appreciated! I look forward to your reply!

eek
04-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Ok so you think the playblack needs to be slower. I have gotten a lot of mixed feedback on this, not fast enough, too fast, etc.

Generally it seemed too quick.

Where at?

Knees, arms, hips.

While watching it did you not get the feeling of “ease of use”?

I did but it was lost because of the speed, I'd capture it as if you were animating it. I.e Define a pose, and show how easy it is to create.

Do you mean prior to the entire reel running or before each rig is displayed? IE the second rig has a stretchy FK system on the arms. Thoughts?

Yes, When i had mine i would play the reel and below it on my site put a breakdown of every rig in sequencial order, eg. facial rig, biped rig, spine script..

I have gotten several requests on this, it will be done soon :).

What could I display in my demo reel that would allow you to make a better judgement on what you just mentioned?

Screen capture it as if you were really using it for a production, because in the end thats what your gunna be using it for right?

If you do no have any scripts how would you go about showing R&D?

A way of rigging something, a new foot rig, aproach to spine setups anything really. Even a way of fixing something.

I think you just gave me my next major project :)

Its what i did :)

Coming as soon as I can make it happen :).

Keep it seperate, rigging|animation.. dont mix them up errgg i hate that.

How would one go about displaying this on a demo reel? Would you like to see these kinds of fixes on as well as off of a character rig?

Example, you twist an arm or shoulder till it pops, then you adjust a 'bias' control to fix the pop.

Thank you so much for the feedback it is much appreciated! I look forward to your reply!

Hope this helps,

cheers,

jasondesigns
04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Hey ...I looked at your reel... and I'll give you my 2 cents. I think it demonstrates that you have good general knowledge of rigging. I do think it could be spiced up a bit. The controls you used are very straight forward... Things that catch my attention about tecnical reels is controls that are interesting, or look like they would be fun to use. Or things that make wonder... "how did he do that?".. I think you could add a little more complexity... Thats ony my oppinion. Still over all the work is solid. :thumbsup:

dude5487
04-04-2007, 11:13 AM
eek- Thank you for your feedback. I will slow it down a bit and once finals are over I am going to go in and recapture the rig this time focus more on using it like I was in production. I am also going to add a reel breakdown, good idea. I have a couple of things in mind for the R&D side of the reel. Thanks again and I will keep you posted.

jasondesigns- Thank you for your feedback as well. All of the stuff you mentioned is in the works ;).

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2007, 11:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.