PDA

View Full Version : Video clips >> which should i buy for practice??

everlite
03-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Hey guys,

I love looking through istockphoto for pics to paint over, really high res and good quality, but recently they've added video too :) so now i spend even more time (and credits) browsing through the video library and seeing if there's anything i can play with or use. Tonight i narrowed a list of 26 down to the following 6 of which i'm going to buy one (with creds) to add in a matte painting for pratice. So taking a look at the list any suggestions on what would make a good clip to play with?

1. Guy walking down glacier and comes to a stop. Not much area to work with but could be interesting >>>

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/life/nature/arctic_life/3018881_panning_of_climber_walking_by_deep_cliff_hd.php?id=3018881

2. I quite like this one, could have a nice river, a few buildings in the background, take out the trees, a bit of roto pratice, he could be heading towards a militry base or something? >>>

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=2230940

3. Guy running up snowy hill, not the greatest angle, but has possibilities >>>

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/gender/male/men/2721785_mountain_rescue_service_in_action.php?id=2721785

4. This one's nice, awsome view and the couple stop to look out, could paint in a city or castle or something and it would look like they're pointing to it, though the couple look a little, well ... normal :) >>>

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/gender/female/women/2940552_couple_hiking_in_winter_part_1.php?id=2940552

5. I quite like this one, they could be heading out to something, not sure what >>>

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/when/nighttime/evening/2169445_ntsc_father_and_daughter_on_a_pier.php?id=2169445

6. Has possibilities, extract the bottom half and paint in a building or something futuristic above >>>

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/public_transportation/subways/subway_stations/2585337_skytrain.php?id=2585337

Well, choices bugger the hell out of me, any suggestions?

Cheers - Dave.

Duro
03-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Hey... nice picks.
I like the 4rd one with the couple most. Some interesting castle in the mountains, or some sort of mountain village ( maybe also in sci fi style ) in the background could make the shot interesting, maybe also changing the day lighting for sunset (As a neebie, I'm not sure, how to achieve it, because I'm a total beginner and still need a lot of practise, but the ideas are there :rolleyes: )
And the 2nd, with the river and bridge has also some potencial, I think...

However, whatever you choose, I'm looking forward for the final piece and wish good luck.

:thumbsup:

Have a nice day.

RiKToR
03-29-2007, 12:31 PM
I basically did the same thing but from Artbeats, I picked two aerial videos that can be 3d camera tracked and easily rotoscoped for the matte, but when I was going through clips the ultimate decision was... can I see any ideas when watching this clip... so from there I found two that jumped out at me, I will shoot DV for some other clip for myself and project on 3d for the rest.

Oh and I picked shots that werent perfect, I wanted to be challenged and I wanted that to stand out that this shot was a difficult one to show the value I had for my demo reel.

RiKToR
03-29-2007, 12:37 PM
I see potential in the pier shot personally though but I would extend the canvas so that the shot was at least 720p HD resolution. Because eventually the norm will be HD and down rezing an HD file to NTSC looks a little mopre detailed, like doing double film rez on a matte.

crazybread
03-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Hey Cool. I personally like # 6, and think its rather nice that you can replace a lot of stuff and put in the upper half. I think you could also do something to the bottom as well. Perhaps some elements like pipes etc. Really cool stuff. I haven't had a chance to browse through all that site, but How much would a clip like the links you provided cost to buy the right to use in your demo?

everlite
03-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Hey cheers guys:

crazybread >

Hey Cool. I personally like # 6, and think its rather nice that you can replace a lot of stuff and put in the upper half. I think you could also do something to the bottom as well. Perhaps some elements like pipes etc. Really cool stuff. I haven't had a chance to browse through all that site, but How much would a clip like the links you provided cost to buy the right to use in your demo?

Hey, cheers, yeah i've had a few cool ideas about that one. Regarding the cost of clips, i'm not quite sure, they tend to vary depending on size, from around 5 - 35. That said i rarely pay for them myself, i have an istock account, i've had it for a around six years since they first started up. Basically you upload stock photography and everytime one get's downloaded you get credits (between 2-5 i think, again dependent on size) these in turn allow you to buy from istock or when you get a 100 creds you can request a cheque (works out around 100 cred = 50) video clips work out between 10 - 50 creds. Overall it's a good system that works well. You were saying you've done a few panos, you should set up an account. Though since they were bought by getty they're really tight with what they accept. Pre getty i could submit around 10 pics and only 2 or 3 would get rejected, now from the ten i might submit only 1 or 2 get accepted.

Riktor >

the ultimate decision was... can I see any ideas when watching this clip

Yeah, that's what i was thinking, there's a few pretty cool shots like the mountain one, but at the same time i wanted something that could offer a challenge, the guy walking over the bridge could be a little challenging though the size is a little crap (720 i think)

I've not heard of artbeat, i'll have to google that one.

Duro >

Hey, yeah i was thinking about a castle maybe but then thought the couple weren't dressed for the theme, so maybe something futuristic, not sure, maybe a city with a ship taking off or something.

Well that's a few thoughts to think about. I quite like the mountain one but i don't think it offers that much of a challenge, i like the guy walking over the bridge but the highest res available is only 720. The sky train is good ... nup, no crit about that one. I also quite liked the glacier one. mmmm.

Hey if anyone's interested when i get one downloaded i'll upload it (for educational use only :-) so you guys can have a play around.

Cheers again - Dave.

crazybread
03-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Hey, cheers, yeah i've had a few cool ideas about that one. Regarding the cost of clips, i'm not quite sure, they tend to vary depending on size, from around 5 - 35. That said i rarely pay for them myself, i have an istock account, i've had it for a around six years since they first started up. Basically you upload stock photography and everytime one get's downloaded you get credits (between 2-5 i think, again dependent on size) these in turn allow you to buy from istock or when you get a 100 creds you can request a cheque (works out around 100 cred = 50) video clips work out between 10 - 50 creds. Overall it's a good system that works well. You were saying you've done a few panos, you should set up an account. Though since they were bought by getty they're really tight with what they accept. Pre getty i could submit around 10 pics and only 2 or 3 would get rejected, now from the ten i might submit only 1 or 2 get accepted.

Hmm, That sounds cool. I'm thinking of signing up. I have many pictures and panos I did, hopefully Someone will find use for them at some point. Great advice, thanx!

AnimZiggy
03-31-2007, 12:33 PM
5 and 6 take my vote! cant wait to see what you come up with... and i had no idea about the credit thing 'doh' :scream:

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2007, 12:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.