PDA

View Full Version : Brand New 'Defective' wester digital HD

VizStorm
03-07-2003, 04:49 AM
I just got a new Western Digital caviar 120GB (8MB cache) and it doesn't work. I installed the drive and got to windows setup and created the partitions then formating started and there were errors and it didn't format properly. The whole time the hard drive was making a loud clicking type sound I've never heard before. I also have the 80GB version of the same drive and its never made this noise. I'm calling to send it back tomorrow. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems?

Schwinnz
03-07-2003, 05:02 AM
These things happen... :shrug:

You were just the unlucky one...

Sieb
03-07-2003, 05:40 PM
Ah.. yes.. My current IBM 40gig drive makes odd noises at least twice a day for a few seconds. It also has issues when formatting. But works fien once everything is on it. I remember the infamous GXPs (I think thats their designation) from IBM. I had two brand new 60gigers arrive dead (wouldn't power on). RMA'd them both, and the second one I got back died a couple weeks later (making the loud clicking noises, wouldn't boot or anything).

It happens, just RMA it either to the vendor to direct to WD. They are great about replacing them. We've done it a few more times since the 60s.

GregHess
03-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Its the harddrive knock.

Its when the little head arm keeps impacting on the central cylinder. Usually happens if the drive is dropped, undergoes a jolt, or shipped improperly.

Happens in stores a bunch cause the idiots just toss the boxes around.

elvis
03-08-2003, 03:51 AM
i like the different names people always come up with for these things. i've always heard/used the term "harddisk clunk of death". :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.