PDA

View Full Version : Adding segments for a circle in 3dsmax

ElieAtik
03-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey There, i created a circle from the splnes and add to it the extrude modifier,but when i exclude this circle from a tub using the boolean compound objects, the mesh is broken and it begins to scratch.how can i add some segments to the cap of the circle ? or there is any other way to avoid this problem?

MetalcoreMailman
04-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, the one thing i can tell you is this. NEVER use boolean. Dont do it. It makes your topology HORRID! Its something that separates the noobs from the vets, and thats never use boolean. Find another way to do it. I dont really know what you are trying to go for, if you post some pics I might be able to help you more. Good luck.

polygun
04-07-2007, 04:09 AM
Hey There, i created a circle from the splnes and add to it the extrude modifier,but when i exclude this circle from a tub using the boolean compound objects, the mesh is broken and it begins to scratch.how can i add some segments to the cap of the circle ? or there is any other way to avoid this problem?

make sure there are no holes in your tub model at all, ive found that most boolean problems are the result of opened geometry.

However, metalcore is right. If at all possible try to not use booleans as it will result in very messy models

phudgey
04-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Well, the one thing i can tell you is this. NEVER use boolean. Dont do it. It makes your topology HORRID! Its something that separates the noobs from the vets, and thats never use boolean. Find another way to do it. I dont really know what you are trying to go for, if you post some pics I might be able to help you more. Good luck.

I strongly disagree with this statement, booleans can and will produce horrid geometry but to go as far saying never ever use them? i must disagree, if you are modeling organic products that needs to deform or be smoothed you will get horrible results but if you are modeling a hard bodied model that does not deform and you plan your booleans carefully you can get good results in a fraction of the time.
Now what is noobish is if you increase your production time without any good reason, time is so valuable in this industry!

But it all comes down to what will you be using this geometry for?

Leionaaad
04-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Just put an Edit Poly modifier, or Convert to editable poly. select the cap faces and you have a button name Tesselate. You can chose in the options to tesselate from edges or from faces.
This will make the caps out of tris.
Another option would be again with the caps selected, just inset a couple of times, the last step collapse it (to make one vertex in the center of the cap.)

Yet another option: Select Polys modifier, select the caps then use tesselate modifier(subdivide)...I don't remember well

Any method you chose, use it befor the boolean operation

I haven't used Max for about a year, hope the label of the button is what I remember...

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2007, 02:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.