PDA

View Full Version : Adding a house interior

CompuGraph
03-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Hello great artists,

I have a quick question for you. What is the best and fastest way to add a house interior to a house exterior model? With interior I just mean rooms inside the windows without any additional furniture. The exterior is no problem to model, but when it comes to adding the interior, I get stuck. I can in some cases use booleans, but I do not prefer to use them as they tend to ruin my model-structure.

Is there an easy way to add the interior (just the rooms) after I have modelled the house exterior?

I really need some help. Thanks in advance.

SamSed
03-28-2007, 07:48 PM
I don't know what you're using this for but it's fairely simple,.you just draw your lines that representes the walls with splines (or whatever it's called in your program) , extrude them ,and voila !
or maybe create boxes (your rooms) flip their faces delete some if necessary and you're done !

am i spotting right your problem?

CompuGraph
03-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Well I think you missunderstood me a bit. I want to add the interior AFTER I have finished modelling the house exterior. It wasn´t ment to be an house interior at the start of the project, but I decided to add that later on.

I have made hundreds of house exterior over the years, but I have never found a good way to add the interior.

I got the tip I should use the shell modifier and I think that worked pretty good. Is there another good technique?

Btw. I use 3D Studio Max 9.

J-Bradley
03-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi

One way ( and theres manny lol ) could be to model the shape
of the house cut the holes for the windows, add a shell to the
outside walls, then you could use boxes to divide the rooms.

Not always the best way ( unless using snaps ) because
you can get gaps which can cause light leaks. But if done
carefully it can work quite well.

you could also start with a box and making cuts, extrude them
and weld, extrude and weld and so on ontill you've built up the
interior.

But like i said theres amnny manny ways.
hope the helps :hmm:

Joel

anapho
03-29-2007, 09:23 AM
You could create a plane and extrude walls from it.
Like that (http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/mich/minterior01.jpg)

funkyfoe
03-29-2007, 10:32 AM
now i`m not shure how you go about modelling the exterior but I usually
build up the walls as in the plan drawings with the same thickness etc..then bolean out holes for windows etc when this is done its just a simple matter of adding floors and thin walls behind the walls as in the plan drawings and your set! pretty simple :)

CompuGraph
03-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for helping! :) Your tips are all good in different ways. I think I stick with the shell tool. I just tried it on some really large and complex models I´ve made in the past and it works great.

Once again thanks for the help.

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2007, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.