PDA

View Full Version : Pig Cop from Duke Nukem

Jon Jones
03-06-2003, 11:55 PM
http://www.planetquake.com/shattered/shine/images03/pigfinalrender01.jpg

http://www.planetquake.com/shattered/shine/images03/pigfinalrender02.jpg

http://www.planetquake.com/shattered/shine/images03/pigfinalrender03.jpg

This is something I've been working on for the last month or two, the Pig Cop from Duke Nukem. Everything you see here is mine. It's my first character texture. :)

If there's enough interest, I can post the texture itself.

I used two 512s for the body and the head and a 256 for the vest. Poly count is approx. 4500 quads, and tops out around 9200 tris I believe. I did this in Maya 4.5 and Photoshop 7.

I did spend a week rigging and animating it, but when it came time to texture him, I decided to redo all the mapping, so all my rigging info was lost. :\ I'm considering making him a UT2K3 PPM, but I'm not sure yet, I'm pretty eager to move onto something else.

I'm probably not going to be working any more on it because I'm tired of it by now, considering I've devoted all my free time at home to it for the last two months, but if anyone has any advice they could give on it that would help me on my next piece, that would be really great. :)

ckaos@om
03-07-2003, 12:20 AM
woot!! looks great !, Good mesh, good textures, although a litlle bit unsharp ( perhaps due to the screencaps ??) !
One thing i'm not too sure about is the legs : but i haven't seen this guy for a while so ...
It is too high poly for utk3, but i bet you could easilly chop of quite a lot of polies :)

Stygian
03-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Yeah Poly count is about twice what you can get away with but the model looks great :) :applause: good job

rollin
03-07-2003, 08:32 AM
nice man.. canīt find much to critic.. looks realy nice..

but if you want to use him ingame it hase lots of polys.. (and i mean rectangulars!) but the texturesize is to smal..

but all in all .. very nice man.. !!

ps: can we see a edged-face render?

and texture flats :)

:bounce:

Toby W. Allen
03-07-2003, 08:32 AM
The polycount is off the wall right now for the current and even future games.

This is the first model did you say?I'm impressed.. thinkign of continuing?
Toby.

tpe
03-07-2003, 08:55 AM
what a model (except for theat little uv glitch on the biceps) and texture! great subject. I am sure you could halve the polycount if you wanted to put it into unreal, otherwise the only place i can think of it going on todays hardware would be outlaw volyball. but then you could almost have two per normal character. only one small problem with that, i think people will be getting the outlaw volyball for the two mamary glands not two war hogs but hell it would make me laugh my head off.

Great model, and good subject, probably be just right for dukenukemforeverandever when it comes out.

tpe

Hellwolve
03-07-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Jon Jones <SNIP>I did spend a week rigging and animating it, but when it came time to texture him, I decided to redo all the mapping, so all my rigging info was lost. :\ I'm considering making him a UT2K3 PPM, but I'm not sure yet, I'm pretty eager to move onto something else.<SNIP>

WOW! Great model!

I'd love to see it in UT2003! Please do that for all us Duke Nukem fans!

Sinistar83
03-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Wow.. the model looks great..
Brings back ol' memories of Duke Nukem 3d.. :D

Tylak
03-08-2003, 12:13 AM
FART :buttrock:

Maverick3d
03-08-2003, 02:56 AM
It's looking really great. But why does it say FART?
If memory serves in Duke 3d their cars and uniforms say LARD.

xasteycracker
03-08-2003, 03:14 AM
Dam the model and the texture looks great. but i do agree with the rest of the people when they said trim down the polycount. I thought ut2k3 could only have about 3000-4000 polys.

Jon Jones
03-08-2003, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the response, guys!!

Here are some more images, and then I'll start addressing individual posts...

http://www.planetquake.com/shattered/shine/folio/newest/images/head.jpg

http://www.planetquake.com/shattered/shine/folio/newest/images/body.jpg

http://www.planetquake.com/shattered/shine/folio/newest/images/vest.jpg

Now onto the replies!

ckaos@om: Thanks man! I think the legs are as correct as I could make them... I only had one picture of the action figure as you can see above.. I had to guess as to what the back looked like. Hope I got it. Haven't played Duke 3D in probably four or five years myself. And yeah, the skin got a little blurred out in the render... couldn't help that. Hopefully my skin holds up a little better posted flat. :) If I do put him in UT2K3, the poly count is DEFINITELY going down. A lot of unnecessary polys went into the torso actually... I had some really nice musculature going on, then I covered it all up. :P Oh well.

Stygian: Thanks man! If I do put it in UT2K3, I'll drop him to about 3k or 4k. The most polyheavy areas on the model are the hands and the head. I did some *cool* stuff with the hands. I should post renders of that later.

rollin: Thanks dude! And sure, unskinned pics and flats posted as per request. :)

Toby W. Allen: Yeah, I was indulging myself with the polycount. My original intent was to try to use this as leverage to get a job at 3D Realms so I actually CAN do all the models for DNF, and from what I hear they have all the latest tech, including normal mapping and such, which would mean that I'd have to build stuff high poly, then reduce it from there. I just modeled it in a lot of detail simply because I could, and because it would look more like I could handle the job. :) I applied for the job and showed it to the guys there, and they all liked it, but George Broussard wasn't sure if they needed another modeler or not, so it looks like I probably won't end up getting a job there. Oh well.

Oh, and it's my first character skin, not my first model. I've been modeling for games for about six years, freelancing for three, and I'm about to get a fulltime job in the industry. I've actually shipped one title already, and another one's being released this month last I heard.

tpe: Hey Tim, good to hear from you! Yeah, the biceps were a pain to map... I'd spent about a week mapping the model all out onto one skin, then I rigged and animated it, then went to skin it, got about three days of work done on that and realized that the mapping sucked, so I scrapped it all and redid it onto multiple maps in three days. Once you see the flats you'll understand the pains I had to go through for this damned thing. Fortunately, the biceps and the index finger were the only real trouble spots on the model, the rest is rather astoundingly undistorted. If you'd like to take a closer look at the mesh, email me! :)

And yeah, it would have been just right for DNF, but sadly, it looks as if that is not to be. I made this character specifically for them actually. Oh well, at least it's more portfolio fodder.

Hellwolve: Thanks man! I'll see about it, I have another UT2K3 model I just started on today, I may come back to the piggie afterward. UT2K3 is insanely easy to work with from everything I've seen, so it should be fairly easy if I do decide to do it. It just depends, as I'm trying *Very* hard to get an industry job right now.

Sinistar83: Thanks man! :)

Tylak & Maverick3D: hahaha, yeah, actually, on the flat skin I put 'LAPD' because I didn't remember 'LARD', but I forgot to refresh the skin in Maya before I rendered it. the 'FART' was just something goofy I put on the skin for fun, and I didn't notice that it got left on there until I'd already posted it here. DOH!

xasteycracker: Thanks! Actually, from what I hear, UT2K3 could probably handle about 10k polys, and from what I've seen, it can, it's just not tremendously wise to do so. He'll go down to about 3k or 4k polys easy, if I convert him.

Thanks for all the comments, guys! I'm really happy to see all the positivity for my first art thread on CGTalk. I've been really intimidated to show things off here because of the *incredible* level of talent here. I'll definitely be showing off more of my work!

Oh yeah, would anyone be interested in seeing the animations I did? I did five of them...

Thanks again guys!

Jon Jones
03-08-2003, 07:20 AM
ack, image limit... double ack, limit on posting more than once every 30 seconds! :P

http://www.planetquake.com/shattered/shine/folio/newest/images/pigrender-flat01.jpg

http://www.planetquake.com/shattered/shine/folio/newest/images/pigrender-flat02.jpg

And this was my reference, it's one of the Duke Nukem action figures released a few years ago:

http://www.planetquake.com/shattered/shine/folio/newest/images/pigcop.jpg

Hellwolve
03-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Jon Jones
<SNIP>Hellwolve: Thanks man! I'll see about it, I have another UT2K3 model I just started on today, I may come back to the piggie afterward. UT2K3 is insanely easy to work with from everything I've seen, so it should be fairly easy if I do decide to do it. It just depends, as I'm trying *Very* hard to get an industry job right now.<SNIP>

Alright, next questions: Any pics of that model?

:p

Well, good luck with finding a job, and I hope you got enough time left to put piggie in the Tournament, and finish that other model ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.