PDA

View Full Version : Steady, evenly spaced - particle flow

sudija
03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Guys,
I am making this scene where I need a steady, evenly spread flow of particles to go along the path. So I made a curve flow and that gave me a chaotic bunch of particles flowing on the curve. With my very limited (read - nonexisting ) knowledge of scripting I then went into per particle attributes and opened Goal PP Creation script. I deleted everything from there that looked to me like messing with particle randomnes and ended up with this:

Flow_particleShape.goalPP = 0;
vector $idVector = Flow_particleShape.particleId;
float $randomMotionSpeed = Flow_particleShape.randomMotionSpeed;
vector $rampValues = Flow_particleShape.rampValues;

http://www.mydesignum.com/images/Particles.jpg

That made particles stick to the curve, not perfectly - but good enough.
However, they are not evenly distributed on the path!
I would really appreciate if one of you gurus can help me get this right.

Thanks a bunch!

Gravey
03-28-2007, 09:33 AM
dude this is the 3D Studio Max section of the forum and i'm pretty damn certain you're using maya...

grury
03-28-2007, 11:29 AM
dude this is the 3D Studio Max section of the forum and i'm pretty damn certain you're using maya...

erm...que?

Anyways. sudija, I think u can use Pflow without any scripting to get the effect you want.
Other way around would be using path controller on the sphere, create one sphere add path constrain, then just copy the sphere as many times as u need and ofset the keyframes to get the evenly space..dont forget to make the curve linear rather than the default bezier.

SoLiTuDe
03-28-2007, 01:03 PM
erm...que?

Anyways. sudija, I think u can use Pflow without any scripting to get the effect you want.
Other way around would be using path controller on the sphere, create one sphere add path constrain, then just copy the sphere as many times as u need and ofset the keyframes to get the evenly space..dont forget to make the curve linear rather than the default bezier.

...that IS maya.

grury
03-28-2007, 01:47 PM
...and this is the PFlow discussion board...never used PFlow in Maya, but I guess same principles apply.

SoLiTuDe
03-28-2007, 09:46 PM
...and this is the PFlow discussion board...never used PFlow in Maya, but I guess same principles apply.

Pflow doesn't exist in maya... Particles are totally different in maya, and generally do require a lot of expressions and a lot of scripting. Gravey was simply letting him know that he was in the wrong forum.

As you will see in his post in the proper forum: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=479221 :)

grury
03-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Ups! My bad!

sudija
04-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Sorry guys !!!

Although thanks for the answers...

I reposted on Maya side of the forum.

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2007, 03:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.