PDA

View Full Version : Mixing non-ata compatible device on primary master bad?

singularity2006
03-07-2003, 12:40 AM
I noticed on my Dell, when I attach my Iomega Zip 100 as the slave to my primary IDE channel, the system lags a noticable bit to boot. I have since then, undone the connection and made it so the hard drive is standalone, but has anyone else experience this problem where u attach a non-ata compatible device as slave to a primary IDE channel? Does it lag?

And if it does lag, how much?

dvornik
03-07-2003, 12:57 AM
Not sure about the boot lag, but as far as I know the transfer speed of the IDE devices on the cable equals the speed of the slowest device on it. So if your zip is PIO then the hard drive is PIO and not ATA100. That's why it's better to buy an extra controller rather than attach a CD-rom and a harddrive to the same cable. I don't remember where i read this.

singularity2006
03-07-2003, 02:39 AM
ah, that's what I figured. Too bad I don't have anymore IDE so I'm stuck with the config I have.... though, on my workstation, I don't notice any lagging even with the PIO zip on it.

But on my bro's system when I tried switching the position of the iomega zip to share with the CDROM, the stupid system locks up on boot.... so i gave up and left it in the original config... ah lack of IDE.... *groggles*. Oh well, seems fast enough. =D

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.