PDA

View Full Version : Creating "In Place" animation

Davey
03-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I did a search on this subject but I'm still confused.

So, let me breakdown what I've done so far. If your familiar with the Lesson 7 Creating A Loop in the MotionBuilder help docs, then I'm at the end of that lesson.

* I've taken my mocap data and created a character animation track in the story editor.
* Cut out the animation I wanted and made sure the first and last frames are the same.
* Then blended the last frame with the rest of the animation and created a new clip.

Now what I'm confused about is making my character walk "In Place". I'm aware that there is a "In Place" modifier in the character settings panel, but that is only for previewing.

I need to make the actual animation loop In Place, so I can export it into maya.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anssi
03-28-2007, 06:25 AM
Hi,
one way to create loop in place is to plot the whole scene from the Story to control rig and then to skeleton (notice Plot translation on the root only) then select hips and delete (local) forward motion from the Fcurves.
Anssi

Neill
03-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I did a search on this subject but I'm still confused.

So, let me breakdown what I've done so far. If your familiar with the Lesson 7 Creating A Loop in the MotionBuilder help docs, then I'm at the end of that lesson.

* I've taken my mocap data and created a character animation track in the story editor.
* Cut out the animation I wanted and made sure the first and last frames are the same.
* Then blended the last frame with the rest of the animation and created a new clip.

Now what I'm confused about is making my character walk "In Place". I'm aware that there is a "In Place" modifier in the character settings panel, but that is only for previewing.

I need to make the actual animation loop In Place, so I can export it into maya.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

U need to set up Lock position flags, which u can find in Character setting's -> modifiers->In Place. So, set check state for some of axes, then plot animaton from actor to character

Davey
03-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Anssi and Neill!

Here's what I ended up doing:

* Exported the clip as a .fbx file.
* Then I imported the animation on to my base skeleton in Maya.
* Created a empty group on top of my skeleton.
* Copied the Z and X axis keys from my root bone and pasted them on the empty group.
* I then flipped the keys using the KeyScaler.mel script, by just scaling it by -1.
* By doing this it seemed to cancel out the forward animation.

Its probably not the best way to do things, but it since it needed to be done yesterday and I'm a newbie to motionbuilder it seemed like the quickest solution.

I'll be sure to try both of your suggestions soon!

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2007, 08:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.