PDA

View Full Version : HMC 8: Maximus Decimus (bust)

misu
03-27-2007, 08:44 AM
I've decided to be part of this challenge by modeling the Russell Crowe (Maximus Decimus).
I hope to have enough time to finish on time and i apreciate any advice regarding my model.
For now i'll post some of the references i'm using and the first update (a very wip one :D )

frameless
03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Its great that you are part of the challenge.
I am a big fan of your works.

Its hard to crit your model in the curent state but i am confident that your entry will rock.
I will definatly keep an eye on your thread...

turx
03-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Its great that you are part of the challenge.
I am a big fan of your works.

+1

subscribed to this thread =)

OvidiusTiberius
03-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Yes Wellcome to the fighters club Maximus!...:thumbsup:

Very interesting subject, very interesting artist,so will get some sparks here i guess!

Bafta ,sa-ti gasesti timp sa scoti ceva fain din caracterul asta ca merita....

Robbiestyle
03-27-2007, 05:50 PM
super tare start my friend. knowing you, that probably took you five minutes and it already looks like him! damn you! :) looking forward to more updates!

gaiXyn
03-27-2007, 06:32 PM
+1

subscribed to this thread =)

now make that +2....:)

there isn't much to critique....but I will comment about your modeling style....I like it....I'm sure it will turnOut great!!

ltr-

robo3687
03-28-2007, 08:53 AM
well it doesn't look much like ol' rusty at the moment...but i have every confidence it'll get there as it is still only early days....i'll keep an eye on this one

varun050
03-30-2007, 07:20 PM
hi misu, iam sure this gonna look gr8 at the end:thumbsup: . looking forward for the finished piece

sicean
03-31-2007, 06:56 PM
wow, i feel like i really learned something on edge-loops and topology from studying that modeling sequence. it's so clean, simple, and effective. watching...

misu
04-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Thank you all for your comments .
Here is the update with almost finished head geometry and some hair and skin shader test ( the skin textures are not finished yet .. just a diffuse and simple bump map for now).

varun050
04-01-2007, 10:11 PM
great resemblence .. and cool hair :thumbsup: keep going

Vicktorious
04-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Very clean texture there man, however he has a much too young and pristine feel. in every part of the movie, he is basically dirty, tired and middle aged. Your model looks like early twenties just after a hot shower and full night sleep. Still it's a beautiful render, but maybe add some sculpting under the eyes, throw in some dirt maps and see how it looks. Hope it helps.

turx
04-01-2007, 10:13 PM
looks great!
great likeness. the render on the right side looks beautiful.
this will turn into an amazing piece.

misu
04-01-2007, 10:23 PM
wow .. fast reply :D
I agree about the details on the skin (i'll work on that)

robo3687
04-02-2007, 05:47 AM
hey now we're talkin....likeness is really starting to come through now....

if you don't mind sharing secrets could you give some idea of how you did your skin shader....as my attempts so far have been pretty dismal...lol

OvidiusTiberius
04-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Yes this is what i mean with likeness.....maybe the only one in this challenge who did it welll....

gaiXyn
04-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Yes this is what i mean with likeness.....maybe the only one in this challenge who did it welll....

indeed!!...I too would be very interested in a runDown on your skinShader...and maybe a snapShot of your UV layOut?

ltr-

fx81
04-02-2007, 02:59 PM
very good work as usual. if you finish it i am sure it will be the best likeness in this contest.:thumbsup:

Max4ever
04-02-2007, 05:15 PM
very nice indeed, keep us posted dude!

P.S. daca nu-l termini te sparg :D

misu
04-16-2007, 12:53 AM
great feedback from you guyz. Thank you so much for your interest :)
Now I'm back with some updates ... In the last 2 weeks i was bussy with my job and i had less time to work on the model . So I've preffered to focus on rendering and displacement test while i was almost sleeping :P
I'm sorry for uploading images in this way but for now i cannot connect to my ftp :D
Binder : i'll post later some details about skin shader (is the common mray fast skin shader).
Turx: i'm your newest fan :D . you have enough courage to start 2 heads for this contest
Max4ever : Thank you Max !! i'm happy to see an old friend here ;)

Ps. the metal ornament piceces from the leather chest shield are in a very early stage .. so please be gentle with the non horse creatures :D .

OvidiusTiberius
04-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Is looking very good ,the texture,eyes and hair are really cool!I like the leather too.....Very good work!

frameless
04-16-2007, 08:18 AM
i am confident that your entry will rock.

Well...at least since the last post its approved ;)
Its already Russel Crowe for sure!

Cool to hear you are posting the skin shader settings.
Maybe post the lightning setting too?
I wondered how you get those soft shadows with mental ray.

I can't wait till the final :thumbsup:

gaiXyn
04-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Binder : i'll post later some details about skin shader (is the common mray fast skin shader).

yep...I would really appreicate that man....I'm sure there's others that are interested as well...and those eyes...one of myWeak points also....

just by looking at the rendered model you can tell it's Ross....so you've done a greatJob!

ltr-

turx
04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
great update! it seems that we have a winner already now!
some tweaking on the ear/ear lobe would be nice. except that, everything is great.
and i know, this will be frontpage worthy as soon as you finished.

ps: thanks for nice words. it's an honor to hear that from you =)

visionmaster2
04-16-2007, 03:38 PM
ouaouu, great update !:eek: :thumbsup:

EnergyPulse
04-17-2007, 12:36 AM
WowWowWhooWeeWow!
Nice work love the chest plate and the shirt beneath. Skin, eyes, beard, face structure all look great. Evrythign is awesome 'cept i have a problem with the hair needs to be shorter and less thick and closer stuck to his head. But other than that it looks awesome.

Matthewjc
04-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Awesome work so far on this. I'd like to know a bit about the light and skin shader settings as well. Hopefully you can share some info on that when the contest is over. :)

PolarBird
04-17-2007, 09:40 AM
That's awesome man. No question about this one and nice textures too! Not to get off topic here but for the guys asking about the skin shader, may I recomend Alex Alvarez' tutorial (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials.html) (sorry misu..I would love to hear your approach as well :) )

Thanks for the inspiration!

AndreKling
04-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Amazing job, your model loks so badass like russ in the movie, makes me want to tsart my model all over again :P. The shaders are really good, but the modelling is even better ( wich is a great thing since this is a modelling comp )
Andre

fx81
04-18-2007, 01:02 AM
nice update. i feel like he looks a little younger than in that movie.
can you show a viewport screen without any color/ bump map or any textures and hairs.

gaiXyn
04-18-2007, 07:37 PM
hey polarBird!....thanks for the link man.....it's proven to be veryHelpful....

...but misu....I would still like a runDown on your workFlow for hope there's something you do, that would appeal to the way I work......:)

ltr-

H2
04-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Hey misu awesome work so far! Likeness is sooo good,

I was just wondering how did you go about matching ur model to Russel? Did you use orthographic type photos set up as image planes or did you just do the modelling by eye using various reference photos? I have had a bit of a hard time getting things accurate using photos because of the perspective distortion so im curious to kno how you go about creating ur models.

Harin

RobertoOrtiz
04-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Roberto's Bullhorn: One week to go! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=489707)

Just an FYI.

-R

frameless
04-29-2007, 10:56 AM
go, misu, gooooooo!!
you need to finish this one :scream:

misu
05-03-2007, 07:26 AM
here is my last render ( less improvements compared with other render)
Also i'm posting here how i'm using mentalray fast skin shader with just a single map for collor (is a very simple setup for collor correction of the original diffuse map)
http://www.xmg.ro/mihai/russell_crowe/russell_crowe.jpg

http://www.xmg.ro/mihai/russell_crowe/mray_skin_shader.jpg

turx
05-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Likeness, details, shading.. this is a very special piece Mihai!
I really love it! I'm glad you posted it on the final entry page.
And i'm happy to hear that you'll continue this on the WIP forum.
I'll watch it until i see this on the frontpage! Good luck!

KrakenCMT
05-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Mihai, awesome rendering! And spot on likeness! Another great piece from you.

frameless
05-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Wonderful job, the best entry i've seen so far!
Thx for posting the skin settings :thumbsup:

visionmaster2
05-03-2007, 06:23 PM
this is really a superbe piece Misu ! :applause: :applause: :applause:

MisterE
05-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Overall, a very impressive entry. Only things that stand out to me is that the ear feels a bit too soft and peach-like (not "waxy" enough); and the hair and beard seem a little too even. However, the eyes and the skin are what really make this piece stand out! How did you light your scene, if I may inquire? Did you use FG and/or GI?

mahircelik
05-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Great wok Mihai especially shader

MrPositive
05-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Really really nice. The eyes are the key here. Very interested in lighting as well.

prats
05-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Fantastic entry. Thanks for the settings you've posted. Really helps.

misu
05-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Thank you all for your suport :).
I'll continue the model in the w.i.p here on cgtalk and i'll wait as usual you critics because only critics can help me to make the models better.
I know that texturing of the model started some discussions and because i want to be fair i will ask that my model to be removed from the vote.

turx: Thank you very much turx :) as i;ve told you already i like your bruce model and i've already voted for you :)
KrakenCMT,frameless,visionmaster2,tequilasunrise,MrPositive,prats: Thank you all for your nice words ;)
rockymaru : i agree with your critics and i will continue improvements :P . For render i've used FG and 2 area lights.

KrakenCMT
05-09-2007, 01:50 PM
I don't think we need to have it removed. You didn't do anything wrong, man. I said this in the next challenge thread also.... There's plenty of challenges to come to add a texturing rule to. Keep it in!

Max4ever
05-09-2007, 03:18 PM
great job dude! loving it ;)

drummer
05-10-2007, 12:46 AM
really great work!
I especially love the render, it's impressive!

Marco

MrPositive
05-10-2007, 06:23 AM
What's wrong with the texturing?

PolyHertz
05-23-2007, 01:42 AM
Misu, I was wondering if your using an hdri map with raytracing to achieve the level of believability in the eyes? If so, would you mind showing/writing up how they're set up in the material editor? I've been trying to get eyes that look similar, but the specifics of apllying hdri maps with transparency has been alluding me.

If thats not how you achieved the effect however, I'd also like to hear anything you'd be willing to share of your technique. :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2007, 01:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.