PDA

View Full Version : renderWindo+ MEL script update

Sanctuary
03-06-2003, 09:54 PM
hi, guys i have some goodies for you, i`m talking about renderWindo+ v1.5 which improve Maya`s default render window with a lot of new (and useful i hope) options.

author of this script is Mark Chong and i`m proud to be the co-author.

Feature list:
Viewport renderer (allows you to render subregions directly within the viewport)
Region and Full image sequence render (ability to render sequences of images directly in the Render View Window)
Red Green Blue channel toggles (adds the buttons to toggle RGB channels individually)

here is the highend3d link:
renderWindo+ v1.5 http://www.highend3d.com/files/?group=melscripts&section=rendering#1156

don`t forget for any suggestion, bugs, requests you can contact us at:
Mark Chong (markc@calibredigital.com)
Alin Sfetcu (snct@mymail.ro)

hope you enjoy it !

Sanctuary
03-06-2003, 10:04 PM
here is an screenshot ...

TuLe
03-06-2003, 10:16 PM
Sounds and look cool!

Does it speed up the render time process as well... hehehe
:thumbsup:

Gonna nail in this script right away!

thanks Sanctuary!

womanonfire
03-06-2003, 11:32 PM
// Error: }
//
// Error: Syntax error //
// Error: return;
//
// Error: Use of "return" statement is only valid within a procedure definition. //
// Error: }
//
// Error: Syntax error //
// Error: if ($uiNumDigits > 1) {

--------------------*snip*etc...
is it just me?

Sanctuary
03-06-2003, 11:42 PM
it`s optimised for Maya 4.5, i`ll try to fix this 4.0 problem, but i can`t promise anything

p.s. please edit the post that bunch of errors doen`t help at all :)

Jozvex
03-06-2003, 11:51 PM
Errr I get those same errors in Maya 4.5!

I didn't with the previous version though!

Sanctuary
03-06-2003, 11:57 PM
when do you get that errors ?

TuLe
03-06-2003, 11:59 PM
Well all i get after putting the "RGBConverter" script on the command line is a little tab with some color values, a "drop" tool and nothing more...!

What's next? How to use the script as a render window?

:Thanks:

Sanctuary
03-07-2003, 12:06 AM
try this file. ... this is the file i`m using and it works fine .... script file (http://xr1140.3x.ro/renderWindoPlus.zip)

P.S. use "Save Target As..."

womanonfire
03-07-2003, 12:09 AM
that one works! :surprised

Sanctuary
03-07-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by TuLe
What's next? How to use the script as a render window?

write this in Script editor : source renderWindoPlus.mel

or put the same thing in the userSetup.mel file for automatic startup

Sanctuary
03-07-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by womanonfire
that one works! :surprised

seems Mark upload a wrong file ... i`ll notify him to fix the problem

Jozvex
03-07-2003, 12:38 AM
yep that one works for me too!

Norb
03-07-2003, 01:38 AM
can someone host it so i can grab it? I can't seem to download anything from highend, it just boots me to the main page whenever I click on the link to download it

Jozvex
03-07-2003, 01:59 AM
Here Norb, I uploaded it to my geocities *shudder* space.

http://www.geocities.com/jozvex/files/

Go to that link and the file is there.

Norb
03-07-2003, 02:18 AM
thanks!

now to figure out why it can't find the procedure even tho it's in my scripts dir...

Jozvex
03-07-2003, 04:13 AM
Did you type:

source renderWindoPlus;

without the second "w" in window?

Sanctuary
03-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Did you type:

source renderWindoPlus;

without the second "w" in window?

yes

wrend
03-07-2003, 09:25 AM
rather cool!

even cooler if it blinked back to your camera/persp when you hit a navigatn tool ctx, and back to the renderView w an update to region when you let go. as in liek xsi. then you might as well do object tacking as well ;). heh, sorry. is wonderful! maybe i add these things in.

Sanctuary
03-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by wrend
... maybe i add these things in.

better then modifying someone else work you could post your requests and maybe we could work something around, don`t you think this is the best way to do it ? :annoyed:

btw try this (http://xr1140.3x.ro/renderWindoPlus.zip) (don`t forget to "Save Target As..."):)

you should explain the other requests in more detail because i didn`t understand :P

wrend
03-07-2003, 03:11 PM
better then modifying someone else work you could post your requests and maybe we could work something around, don`t you think this is the best way to do it ?

absolutely!
i didnt mean to keep it w little food and water working only for me on my box! :) all for sharing. as for modifying/extending your work, im afraid thats what happens when you go public! but its a nice thing, especially if shared :)

to explain a little more ...(get xsi Expierience demo.., no..umm)

xsi it allows you to define a render region in the viewport, very similar to your setup, however the viewport remains as the viewport, so you can still interact w it like normal (eg navigate around the scene w your camera ....as soon as you stop, the region renders again. you also have the option to track the selection, so the region chases the selected object during navigation. pretty cool! little slider to change sampling rate too. and you can drag/size the marque region easily too.

thought you might be able to flip back to the persp/camera panel on entering the navigation tools (pan/zoom in renderView). but alas ToolChanged scriptJob event doesnt register swapping to these tools via alt (just as well really!). perhaps you could stick a plane on the camera and pass the render region results to it (correct placed). as for tracking an objects bounding box, it should be pretty easy to get the screen space projection of it.

ahh, just had a play w your new mod, however these arent really the camera navigation tools (accessed by alt, as i mention above). tho its a nice optional method of escaping the renderWin(instead of hitting toggleRenderSnap again) [ best make those jobs -ro 1 ! else they're going to stack pretty quick! ;)].

cheers! keep it coming!

Headshotfairy
03-07-2003, 03:25 PM
Sorry about the inconvienience folks -- I've uploaded the fixed version on highend3d.com

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/mel/?group=melscripts&section=rendering#1156

Sanctuary
03-07-2003, 04:26 PM
... as for modifying/extending your work, im afraid thats what happens when you go public!

well ... i don`t think so. When somebody make a piece of software and release it for public USE this doesn`t mean it`s open source and it doesn`t mean that anybody can just modifying that piece of software freely and without any kind or permission ... First of all it`s unethical, denotes a lack of respect for other people work, second of all, that person who wrote the script can stop releasing, just because he doesn`t agree with this point of view, and community will suffer, in the end of the day he is making our life easy by releasing a script, right?. Don`t forget we pretend to live in a society which promote respect for human been. If you ask for permission and that person agree ( as in my case with Mark which is the original author), well that`s another matter. Anyway i`m really sorry for you if you really think like that.

xsi it allows you to define a render region in the viewport, very similar to your setup, however the viewport remains as the viewport, so you can still interact w it like normal

well ... xsi does that using API ... and i`m almost sure, the effect you mention can be achieved using scripting language.

as for tracking an objects bounding box, it should be pretty easy to get the screen space projection of it.

well maybe it can be done but after i`ve read you opinion about this, i`m not sure i want to spend hours in from of the computer trying to release something, and after that to find out that my work will be extended without my consent. maybe it`s just me ...

best make those jobs -ro 1 ! else they're going to stack pretty quick!

the scriptJob doesn`t get stack, if let`s say you have selected move tool and you select again the same tool Maya doens`t see this action as an event, that`s the problem.

wrend
03-07-2003, 07:09 PM
i mean no disrespect, none what so ever! i appreciate what you have done, and have made the point of saying so through out. i just wanted to give a few suggestions, that i felt, might make your already good thing perhaps even gooder! i get a buz if someone can take my scripts and work on them, making them better, extending them for the community, increase the knowledge. or simply sharing ideas about them. its a nice thing!

what i dont like, is if someone takes your code/script, makes only small, superficial, changes and then goes on to call it there own: that is a different matter alltogether. that i dont dig at all! im sure you would credit the people whose code you look at, possibly modiy, to achieve what you do in your scripts! (for example, the a|w guys who wrote the core of this script).

if it helps, i havent even touched what you have written. if i did, i wouldnt put my name on it. if i did make a _significant_ addition, and i thought the community might find use in it, i would, of course (like you did), get in contact with both of you about a co-release. i only have good intentions.

im sorry to have made you feel the way you do. i will cease further suggestions, and wont follow up on current ones.

cheers, anyways.

- campbell (yeah, the same one, if you be sanctuary of he3d).

Sanctuary
03-07-2003, 09:29 PM
- campbell (yeah, the same one, if you be sanctuary of he3d).

same

anyway maybe i was a little too rough earlyer but some time ago i had a really BAD experience with someone "who just want to help", and i`m extra alert since then.

wrend
03-08-2003, 01:31 AM
well, i mean for no harm, just collaborative enrichment! :) out of curiosity, if you dont mind sharing, what did this person do? let people know what might be considered unethical.

feel like talking more about these ideas (xsi's ideas, that is, and how they might be ripped, ...emulated, i mean ;))?

Sanctuary
03-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by wrend
feel like talking more about these ideas (xsi's ideas, that is, and how they might be ripped, ...emulated, i mean ;))?

let`s not change the topic of this thread ... better let`s talk about renderWindo+ :D

Norb
03-11-2003, 02:35 PM
just postin to let you know that this plug in/script/whatever is the handiest damn thing i've used in maya so far. Wicked job guys!

Sanctuary
03-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Norb
just postin to let you know that this plug in/script/whatever is the handiest damn thing i've used in maya so far. Wicked job guys!

:) that`s the main ideea Norb

mcontrol
03-13-2003, 07:55 AM
i getin this erro

renderWindo+ v1.5b Attempt No:1, Rendering to: D:/Mayaproject/Default/images/untitled_perspShape_tmp.1.jpeg
renderWindo+ v1.5b Hmm... Unable to rename D:/Mayaproject/Default/images/untitled_perspShape_tmp.1.jpeg ... Rerendering...
renderWindo+ v1.5b Attempt No:2, Rendering to: D:/Mayaproject/Default/images/untitled_perspShape_tmp.1.jpeg
renderWindo+ v1.5b Hmm... Unable to rename D:/Mayaproject/Default/images/untitled_perspShape_tmp.1.jpeg ... Rerendering...
renderWindo+ v1.5b Attempt No:3, Rendering to: D:/Mayaproject/Default/images/untitled_perspShape_tmp.1.jpeg
renderWindo+ v1.5b ACK! Bad Frame! Cannot Render. pausing...

? wath i doing wrong? :thumbsdow
thx for the help

Sanctuary
03-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by mcontrol
i getin this erro

renderWindo+ v1.5b Attempt No:1, Rendering to: D:/Mayaproject/Default/images/untitled_perspShape_tmp.1.jpeg

? wath i doing wrong? :thumbsdow
thx for the help

try to sequence render on a saved file ... and tell me what`s happenning

mcontrol
03-13-2003, 04:42 PM
same error.
renderWindo+ v1.5b Attempt No:1, Rendering to: D:/Mayaproject/Default/images/save scene_perspShape_tmp.1.jpeg
renderWindo+ v1.5b Hmm... Unable to rename D:/Mayaproject/Default/images/save scene_perspShape_tmp.1.jpeg ... Rerendering...
renderWindo+ v1.5b Attempt No:2, Rendering to: D:/Mayaproject/Default/images/save scene_perspShape_tmp.1.jpeg
renderWindo+ v1.5b Hmm... Unable to rename D:/Mayaproject/Default/images/save scene_perspShape_tmp.1.jpeg ... Rerendering...
renderWindo+ v1.5b Attempt No:3, Rendering to: D:/Mayaproject/Default/images/save scene_perspShape_tmp.1.jpeg

:thumbsdow

thx again!

stunndman
03-13-2003, 04:55 PM
:thumbsdow

i wish the guy who invented smileys burns in hell forever

can't help you with your problem though :p

Sanctuary
03-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by mcontrol
same error.

the weird thing is ... this script works great for me

Sanctuary
03-24-2003, 11:20 PM
hehe is the fix guys

you will need to open the file with a text editor and change line 4314 from this:

$imgExtns[8] = "jpeg";

to this

$imgExtns[8] = "jpg";

or wait until Mark update the file on HighEnd3D

P.S. credit for this fix goes to Mark

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.