PDA

View Full Version : blendshape / polycount problem

sinistar
03-26-2007, 09:44 PM
I have a character that has blendshapes controling its facial expressions as well as a rig to open and close his mouth.

For some reason when I open the mouth with the joints or change his expressions with the blendshapes the cahracters POLYCOUNT CHANGES. ?

It goes up and down between 1238 and 1241 so where could these few vertices be going?

It might not seem like a huge problem but when this happens reordering of vertices occurs and faces that have certain shaders get switched around....

anyone know what might be causing this? here is what my channelbox looks like:

polysmoothFace1
skinCluster1
blendShape
tweak

Thanks!

Joe Hughes
03-27-2007, 04:21 PM
umm could be that polysmooth you have on it...i would set the divisions to 0 and rotate the joint and see if the poly count is still changing. also, as stupid as it may sound, id make sure you arent zooming in and out of the view, polycount also depends on what is being framed on screen.

sinistar
04-03-2007, 09:34 PM
funny... yeah it was that smoothface node. I really dont get how it could affect the polycount so subtly.

Funny thing it is happening again on a different character right now.

It might have something to do with Transfering UVs, because that's ussually what I do to get UVs on a skinned mesh. But somehow it doesn't work well with the blendshapes....

It seems like th eUVs are blending as well as the geometry. also the polycount is adding and subtracting a few polys from somewhere....

sporadic
04-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Make sure your keepTessellation flag on the polySmoothFace node is true. From the docs:

If true: the object will be smoothed consistently from frame to frame. This is best when the object is being deformed or animated . If false: non-starlike faces will be triangulated before
being smoothed. This avoids self-overlapping faces, but could lead to a change in topology (number of vertices/faces) from frame to frame, during an animated deformation

sinistar
04-04-2007, 03:48 PM
that did it man, thanks a lot!

I guess you would only need to ever turn the keep tesselation False if you had some messy topology....

sporadic
04-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Glad I could help.

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2007, 12:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.