PDA

View Full Version : Tablets besides Wacom

gmask
03-06-2003, 08:09 PM
I'd like to get a large tablet but the Wacom's tend to be pretty expensive is it safe to get other tablets? Are they generally cpompatible with the same software as the Wacom's? I'm mostly concerned with using the tablet on windows with Maya, Photoshop and maybe Gimp. I'm also thinking about setting up a linux box so it would be nice if it could work with it as well.

platypus
03-07-2003, 07:54 AM
i dont really have much experience with tablets, but this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47462) was just below yours...

check it out.

gmask
03-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by platypus
i dont really have much experience with tablets, but this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47462) was just below yours...

check it out.

Yeah I saw that thread.. doesn't answer my question.. I did some research and it seems that wacom is the only tablet that has driver support on Linux.

03-07-2003, 06:01 PM
Check out the tablets by Aiptek...

I got a Wacom 4x5 for like $80 and it was nice. Then my bro got himself an Aiptek HyperPen 12000U Graphics Tablet (12x12!!!) for like $150! A Wacom that size is like $450... Anyway I tried out the AipTek and it seemed to perform as good as the Wacom. The only downside with the Aiptek is that the pen uses a AAA battery. However, since it's AAA, the battery is easy to find and you can even use rechargables. So, if you want a BIG ASS tablet for cheap, check out an Aiptek. Not sure about Linux support though... Check out the company's site.

gmask
03-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by 201
Check out the tablets by Aiptek...

I got a Wacom 4x5 for like $80 and it was nice. Then my bro got himself an Aiptek HyperPen 12000U Graphics Tablet (12x12!!!) for like $150! A Wacom that size is like $450... Anyway I tried out the AipTek and it seemed to perform as good as the Wacom. The only downside with the Aiptek is that the pen uses a AAA battery. However, since it's AAA, the battery is easy to find and you can even use rechargables. So, if you want a BIG ASS tablet for cheap, check out an Aiptek. Not sure about Linux support though... Check out the company's site.

Looks like somebody has made a driver for linux for Aiptek..hmmm..

http://home.earthlink.net/~bwheadley/aiptek.shtml

swag
03-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Aiptek sucks - there is no way - u have to go with a wacom :)

gmask
03-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by swag
Aiptek sucks - there is no way - u have to go with a wacom :)

Why do they suck?

I'm inclined to go with Wacom but I'm not a fulltime tablet person so I don't care if it's not aboslutely the best thing ever. But if the Aiptek's tend to burst into flames I'd avoid them. I need specific reasons to avoid Aiptek if you got them.

03-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Aipteks don't suck... If you need all the "extra" features that wacom offers then you probably have a reason to say Aiptek's sucks... But I think most people will be happy with an Aiptek. gmask, if you really want to see how Aiptek's are, just buy one from CompUSA. They sell the Aipteks there... Ask if the 30day policy applies to the tablet and if so just go ahead and try it for 30 days. :)

gmask
03-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by 201
If you need all the "extra" features that wacom offers

What are the extra features that Wacom's offer?

sirius
03-08-2003, 03:30 PM
xtra features you can find on wacom.com

but i think they include:

more sensitivity levels (1024 on intuos2)
sensitivity to inclination of pen
customizing of areas on the tablet (navigation area, zoom in area, dual monitor support, choosing your monitor)
lots of customization possibilties (sensitivity curve, max pressure point etc)
no batteries in the pen
maybe a better "feel"
i got all from hearsay,i am myself doubting about what to buy but am inclined towards the wacom a4 which is 520 euro over here while the aiptek goes for 80 euro. quiete a difference. a have the impression that the aiptek is a bit less ergonmic and might have a different feel to the surface. I borrowed a wacom graphire to try. Pen and surface feel a lot better than my old non-pressure sensitive acecad a4+ tablet.
Also my impression from the wacom website is good. They seem to care about support, software and drivers are updated, with downloadable versions.

sirius

Joel Hooks
03-09-2003, 06:29 AM
you can get good deals on wacoms on Ebay. 9x12 usually runs 300-350. Not bad for a top of the line peripheral!

One thing about the Aiptek is the pen requires batteries.

The Graphire series wacom makes are nice. Personally I bought a wacom so it'd be the last tablet I would need for the foreseeable future.

Sgt_Bukkake_Man
03-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Haha, one time at work I saw an artist who was scrounging around for a tablet - he found an old wacom and plugged it in and it nearly caught fire. He grabbed a completely un-related DC transformer and assumed it was the wacom one - it was actually a much higher voltage/wattage transformer. I had never seen a smoking wacom before - made a horrible smell also...

tubby
03-09-2003, 02:29 PM
yah, my wife has an aiptek and it works just fine. the only gripe i got with it though is that where the pen unscrews to put batteries in is located halfway up the pen, so if you draw hard or put tension on the pen like I do, the damn thing slowly falls apart where the top and bottom halfs of the pen screw together.:thumbsdow

sirius
03-09-2003, 05:41 PM
Tubby,

i suggest some tape.....might add to ergonomy too.

sirius

tubby
03-09-2003, 10:06 PM
LOL, sirius , the tapes already been applied. scotch tape padding increases workflow!:)

amygdalae
03-10-2003, 04:47 AM
Eh, at the end of the day, how cheap are you?

If you were a traditional artist it wouldnt be hard to spend the 200-400 bucks you'll spend on a good tablet just for art supplies like color alc markers, different stock, tools, paints, brushes, etc.

A wacom tablet will last you a long time, it has good drivers, and it's proven battery-less technology. Anything my hands or eyes are in direct contact with is not something I would skimp on...

Just save your pennies, it's not much money for what you're getting. They used to cost much more...

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.