PDA

View Full Version : Showreel 2007 - Serge Astahov

SergeAstahov
03-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Hello there gents!

I've just graduated SAE college in Australia, Perth and finally made my showreel. Although it was meant to be stuff from college i also decided to put in some of my previous work, because i never found the time to make a showreel before and there was a chance to put it all together. During my studies at SAE i used Maya but before that i used 3ds max. These days i use both packages in different situations.

Some things to mention: there will be a few sequences from the group assignment - and two characters: duck and sandwich were created by my two other classmates. The song used in showreel - Lacuna Coil - Heaven's A Lie.

So hope you guys enjoy it and i'm looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Here are direct links to my showreel (rigth click "Save Target As.."):

High Res version 33.5Mb (http://www.themodsquad.uni.cc/serge/Serge_Astahov_ShowreelHiRes.mov)
Low Res version 18.7Mb (http://www.themodsquad.uni.cc/serge/Serge_Astahov_ShowreelLowRes.mov)

All in quicktime H264 format.

Here are some screenshots as well:

http://themodsquad.uni.cc/serge/thumb1_large.jpg

http://themodsquad.uni.cc/serge/thumb2_large.jpg

http://themodsquad.uni.cc/serge/thumb3_large.jpg

Booyah
03-26-2007, 08:00 PM
You've got some good work here, but i'm not sure what your really going for. It's nice that you can do a little of everything but an employer is going to want to see that you can do a lot of one particular thing whether it's animating, modelling, lighting, etc. It seems your best at modelling I liked how you presented the kitchen to bathroom that was interesting. I would suggest diving head first into one particular thing and become the best at that instead of okay all around. The house was cool but there was no sky just the render background and it stuck out a little too much, maybe add some stars and a dark blue tint to it. I would suggest breaking your reel up into two, have one that is all animation and have another that is all modeling/lighting. MY last suggestion would be to change the music because it doesn't seem to fit into your reel at all especially with the fox animations, maybe a little with the house but try and find some music that is going to bring out what's going on onscreen and not just there to listen to, it shouldn't be distracting and should only bring out what your models are or your characters are doing. Keep working real hard and you'll get there.

dmca
03-27-2007, 09:57 AM
hey man,,good modelling, as it been said,,, go for something, either modelling or animating, the craft is hard so you better pick one.
Like the toast jumping in the kitchen, could it happen in the toilet, with the towel falling....well done

SergeAstahov
03-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi there guys!
Booyah
Thanks for crits and tips and kind words as well. I somewhat disagree with you on the part where one should concentrate on one particular thing and i'm not trying to defend myself here. I have seen very good works made by generalists and all of the areas of 3d were very good presented. And i'm not trying to say that this is my goal to be good at everything. But i for instance in love with modeling and animation (rigging as well) so i would prefer to stick with both of them. All other stuff simply comes in handy to fill the gaps and make the picture full (texturing, lighting, particles). And as the matter of fact about a year ago i went to one small company which was interested in me as a generalist they wanted to hear from me that i'm interested in doing everyhting and capable of that. Well i'm just trying to say that somewhere you have to know everything not that i really want myself to study all the aspects of 3d. Because it takes lots of time and patience as we all know. But i certanly agree that diving in one thing will speed up the progress for sure. Yeah the skies could be made for the house scene. Oh and the spinning room actually was a commercial project and the idea itself wasn't mine - the spinning room - but we had to figure out on our own what to model and gave some little ideas like floating water in the air and toast jumping and i did all of the inside part and my friend did the outside.

dmca

Thanks man. Well from now on i don't need to spend much time on particles, because that was part of the coarse and i'm not really keen on them. So will try to spend more time on modeling and will try not forget animation.

Thanks guys again for your time.

Keep those comments coming i'd like to hear more opinions, i'd really appreaciate it.
Thanks.

CGOutcast
03-28-2007, 07:57 PM
the kitchen and bathroom are the best pieces in the reel, tha animations need more work. The fox need just a lil more work but the part that stuck out the most was the cheeks it looks more like spikes than fur. The skinny monster could use a lil more geometry especially if youre gonna show the wire frame dont show wire frames unless they look clean and well layed out, some employers might look at that and stop the reel there if they see the wireframe is not neatly layed out. It looks like you have a lot of promise in sets i would suggest really showing your skill in that area and leaving the charcter modeling and animation out. Good luck on your job search

SergeAstahov
03-31-2007, 04:07 AM
Thanks CGOutcast for your crits. Yeah if i had more time i would rather use soft bodies or curve driven bones for his hair but didn't have much time for that - but will keep that in mind for sure.

And yes you're right the skinny monster isn't perfect - talking about the topology - that basically was my first attempt at a low-poly character for i collaborative project i was involved once.

I just wanted to ask what exactly you meant by sets ?

Thanks again for your time and interest.

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2007, 04:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.