PDA

View Full Version : Marc-andre Guindon=guru????

reaperman
03-06-2003, 06:36 PM
i have for the past few days been trying to rig my first charater, a cat. very, very, very unsueccesful..embarassingly so.
then a friend lend me a dvd by marc-andre guindon. where he takes you on a step by step process of rigging a horse. and the combination of constrains and whatnot were so cleaver. so i was just wondering if the amount of knowlage he seem to have and the clleaver way he used them is what is expected of all animators in the industry (in which case, i have a loooooong way to ga:annoyed: ) or is he quite respected in the cg community.

i was just wondering if teaching my self to be a animator is rather unrealistic.

john_homer
03-07-2003, 07:16 AM
well do you want to be an animator, or a rigger? or both?

not all animators rig.. and not all riggers animate...
depends on the company.. your position in the company.. etc

.j

reaperman
03-07-2003, 02:16 PM
i love doing it all. i know it's unrealistic to hope to find a job that lets u do so much. i love doing everything, the concept, the modeling . and i hope to start rigging and animating my charaters soon. maybe it's cus i'm a beginner, but right now i just want to learn everything. it's not all just cus i want a job at the end of it all, i find it all very interesting, and hope to tell short storyies of my own someday.

eek
03-07-2003, 04:14 PM
My main passion is animation, but i also do rigging. The rigger gives the puppeter his strings. If you can learn both it'll benifit both. And by doing rigging your'll know exactly how you want you charater to work. And in my present job i rig as well as animate, but my showreel work only shows animation. Personally if you want to be an animator go for it! and the rigging side will become a part of it naturally via sheer neccesity! you'll have to put a rig in you characters to make them work.

Personally work simply at first, parenting, ik-chains etc. Constraints are complex things and by they type limit in some way, also remeber that you want to get as much freedom of movement as possible. Think about the character (cat) and what you need it to do. hips? chest. paws?

Also teaching yourself animation is not unrealistic, i spent 3 years even before studying it professionally i.e. uni.

eek

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.