PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Possible Return to 2d Animation?

Jadetiger
03-26-2007, 05:41 AM
Hope this hasn't been posted already. I've heard this rumor floating around, just trying to find a reliable source right now. If anyone else has heard this, please post a more current article. But I hope it's true. I think people are finally realizing the 3d animation is NOT an upgrade of 2d animation.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2007/02/10/disney-handdrawn-animation.html

TCSFunk
03-26-2007, 11:42 AM
uhh noo there not realizing that 2d is the same as 3d. There letting pixar do all the 3d.

ftaswin
03-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Yes I think there was a thread about it.

Bring back 2D in Disney, I'd say.... Let JL brings the depth in 2D, the missing elements that led him to 3D. He's the perfect man to do it.

Ft

Jadetiger
03-26-2007, 01:25 PM
uhh noo there not realizing that 2d is the same as 3d. There letting pixar do all the 3d.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Maybe you misunderstood me?

Pixar is to thank in this decision, and they will continue to do the CG films. But I believe they are going back to 2d because:
a. They were more successful with it
b. There is still a demand for it
c. It's not the same as 3d

3d and 2d are different mediums. They've been blended well in the past, but when we are talking about a 3d film vs. a 2d film, just because 3d is newer does not make it better. This isn't like a new ipod coming out and making the old models look weak in comparison.

Garibaldi
03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
I think Roberto had posted an article he found that covered this a month or so ago. It's around here somewhere.

But yeah, Lasseter and crew are working on bringing back the traditional animation unit. And a guy I know who worked for Disney for quite a few years was told by a friend of his still inside the company that they were planning to bring it back to life.

If I reember correctly, one of Lasseters' reasons seems to be simply that he is a fan of the traditional stuff, and he wants to get Disney back to doing what Disney is famous for.

Works for me.

gunslingerblack
03-26-2007, 04:22 PM
haha i remember months ago saying this and being totally shot down....

regardless i think it's a good idea, it's like max and maya, eventually they'll be one program. now that pixar and disney are technically one, it makes sense to have pixar do the 3d and disney stick with 2d, plus it reopens all those jobs for displaced 2d artists that didnt' adapt to cg.

lasseter does love disney, almost as much as he loves miyazaki apparently lol

Shaderhacker
03-26-2007, 05:01 PM
There letting pixar do all the 3d.

Uhh.. Where did you hear that from?

-M

smoothoperator
03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
The Simpsons Movie is in 2d and it will do well...thus helping those execs to realize that 2d has a place. But as with everything...don't saturate us with crappola and make us say...enough. :)

RichSuchy
03-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Uhh.. Where did you hear that from?

-M

I believe Zemechis has a 10 movie contract with Disney I believe as well, though I don't know how much his studio will be doing and how much will be farmed out. At least thats what I've heard from others I've worked with in the past, There probably is more on this floating around on the internet.

Shaderhacker
03-26-2007, 06:46 PM
I believe Zemechis has a 10 movie contract with Disney I believe as well, though I don't know how much his studio will be doing and how much will be farmed out. At least thats what I've heard from others I've worked with in the past, There probably is more on this floating around on the internet.

I was just curious as to where he got info that implied that Disney would *only* do 2D movies.

-M

beaker
03-26-2007, 07:25 PM
I believe Zemechis has a 10 movie contract with Disney I believe as well, though I don't know how much his studio will be doing and how much will be farmed out. At least thats what I've heard from others I've worked with in the past, There probably is more on this floating around on the internet.Zemeckis has nothing to do with feature animation, just financing. Everything he does is with Sony Imageworks and his own studio like it has been for the last 20 years. Monster House was the same way, Dreamworks paid for it and Sony did the cg.

beaker
03-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Hope this hasn't been posted already. I've heard this rumor floating around, just trying to find a reliable source right now. If anyone else has heard this, please post a more current article. But I hope it's true. I think people are finally realizing the 3d animation is NOT an upgrade of 2d animation.Do a google search for "Frog Princess", "Ron Clements" and "John Musker". Lassetter talked about bringing these two back to do 2d at Disney last summer.

jludwick
03-26-2007, 07:29 PM
I hope they will still use the computer to enhance and extend the reach of 2D's storytelling abilities; maybe show us new ways that 2D can make a statement in animation.

This is a victory for Disney - it makes a strong statement that a particular medium isn't the reason people flock to theatres/screens/whatever. I also hope this time around, when a 2D movie busts a box office record, we won't get greedy and ask for money that make it difficult to sustain the industry. In addition to animation executives' perception, that greatly contributed to the strangulation of 2D early this decade.

RichSuchy
03-26-2007, 07:43 PM
I worked 3 years at imageworks...

Do you have information I don't about him signing any contracts with Sony? After all he is building his own motion capture facility up near San Francisco. And from what I see now, Sony isnt gearing up for much of anything.

Zemeckis has nothing to do with feature animation, just financing. Everything he does is with Sony Imageworks and his own studio like it has been for the last 20 years. Monster House was the same way, Dreamworks paid for it and Sony did the cg.

beaker
03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Do you have information I don't about him signing any contracts with Sony? After all he is building his own motion capture facility up near San Francisco. And from what I see now, Sony isnt gearing up for much of anything.I don't really need an article. The guy has been using Sony Imageworks since they were born. They did Back to the Future for him and everything else since.

The new studio up in SF is a branch of Imageworks. Sony is right now working on his next movie Beowulf which isn't due till the end of the year. The Disney financed movie is still many years away, which is why they aren't doing a lot of staffing up for it right this second.

I googled around and found this article which mentions it.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2007/03/12/story11.html?b=1173672000%5E1429698

RichSuchy
03-26-2007, 08:52 PM
I worked on Beowulf.

Call it a hunch. Until the ink is dried, nothing is written in stone. ( I've done quite a bit of self editing here-- :/ )

I don't really need an article. The guy has been using Sony Imageworks since they were born. They did Back to the Future for him and everything else since.

The new studio up in SF is a branch of Imageworks. Sony is right now working on his next movie Beowulf which isn't due till the end of the year. The Disney financed movie is still many years away, which is why they aren't doing a lot of staffing up for it right this second.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2007/03/12/story11.html?b=1173672000%5E1429698

Garibaldi
03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't really need an article. The guy has been using Sony Imageworks since they were born. They did Back to the Future for him and everything else since.

According to that article, Disney and Sony are working on putting offices in place in the Frisco area. The Imageworks company named in it is a Disney operation.

Disney may soon join Sony in the North Bay. The company is hunting for space in Marin County to open its newest movie unit, tentatively called ImageMovers Digital. Led by Oscar-winning director Robert Zemeckis, the new 3-D computer animation company, promises to bring as many as several hundred digital filmmaking jobs to the region.

Capel
03-26-2007, 10:07 PM
I worked on Beowulf.

that's cool. when in the HELL are we gonna see something, anything from that movie? production stills, concept art, teaser trailer? i can't wait!

RichSuchy
03-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Just because it mentions that both are looking for space in the area doesnt mean it is together. Re-read... Image movers is not Sony Imageworks.

But Who knows what is planned, for all I know, Sony is betting 3 years of contract on a space it can woo Zemechis into another contract.

According to that article, Disney and Sony are working on putting offices in place in the Frisco area. The Imageworks company named in it is a Disney operation.

RichSuchy
03-26-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm curious as well.

Steven Giesler and I worked closely on UV mapping and texture pipeline creation, But, were off the show before they got the shaders worked out. Our early mental ray tests (2 weeks of painting and texture tweaking) were remarkable, but as they aren't using Mental-Ray... You aren't likely to see that until the movie is out and we can show the world what we accomplished (whatever the movie eventually looks like.)

If Zemechis wants a pipleine 10-20 times more efficient, where time savings can be spent on finesse, he should give me a call or email.

Steven Giesler, Steven Stahlberg, Darren Bedwell, Jake Rowel, Ramahan Faulk, Myself and others I could mention (but would be too long a list) would be glad to hook him up!

Apart from that I am not going to say more. I think the rumour mill has already touched on a lot of truths in other threads...

that's cool. when in the HELL are we gonna see something, anything from that movie? production stills, concept art, teaser trailer? i can't wait!

Rick May
03-26-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Rich is right about this. I've heard the same things. Both Sony and Imagemovers are looking in the San Fran area - separately.

Whether anything materializes... who knows.

beaker
03-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Yea, but I believe the Zemekis studio up there is only for doing the mocap. He isn't building an entire 3d studio. Ill bet my left nut that Sony is still doing the other 90%.

RichSuchy
03-27-2007, 12:40 AM
You know that Sony is moving a studio to Albuquerque New Mexico to cut tax costs among other things like pay employees less.

I think they are beginning to feel the... self edit again (5 lines of text) ...much better.

Yea, but I believe the Zemekis studio up there is only for doing the mocap. He isn't building an entire 3d studio. Ill bet my left nut that Sony is still doing the other 90%.

Rick May
03-27-2007, 12:44 AM

I was always under the impression that it was some sort of production office to do development and pre production. So that sounds about right.

Dirtystimpy
03-27-2007, 12:54 AM
http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seattle/othercities/sanfrancisco/stories/2007/03/05/story1.html?b=1173070800%5E1426346

RichSuchy
03-27-2007, 12:55 AM
I was always under the impression that it was some sort of production office to do development and pre production. So that sounds about right.

What was this thread about again?

Rick May
03-27-2007, 01:16 AM
What was this thread about again?

:D I'm not sure. Something about Disney not doing CG anymore. Even though American Dog and Rapunzel are still 3D as of last time I heard.

Jadetiger
03-27-2007, 04:47 AM
:D I'm not sure. Something about Disney not doing CG anymore. Even though American Dog and Rapunzel are still 3D as of last time I heard.

Rapunzel is going to go through, but I believe they are cancelling another CG movie they had planned. It was American Dog according to this article: http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-12-19

Here's another article:
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID510530.asp

Shaderhacker
03-27-2007, 05:29 AM
Rapunzel is going to go through, but I believe they are cancelling another CG movie they had planned. It was American Dog according to this article

-snip-

You guys need to get more accurate information from the web.

:rolleyes:

-M

DezFX
03-27-2007, 05:40 AM
I'm actually more in favor of a total media blackout. :twisted:

Garibaldi
03-27-2007, 05:57 AM
I'm actually more in favor of a total media blackout. :twisted:

Torture artists outside the company for fun?

Jadetiger
03-27-2007, 09:42 AM
You guys need to get more accurate information from the web.

:rolleyes:

-M

Heh, yeh. It's kinda hard these days. One of the reasons I started this thread was so you guys could post more reliable resources than the ones I've stumbled across. You being a Disney animator, I'm anxious to hear what you know about the subject. Are you working on a project right now you can share about?

Shaderhacker
03-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Heh, yeh. It's kinda hard these days. One of the reasons I started this thread was so you guys could post more reliable resources than the ones I've stumbled across. You being a Disney animator, I'm anxious to hear what you know about the subject. Are you working on a project right now you can share about?

We aren't allowed to give any information about our forthcoming films. You'll just have to wait for official released information by a Disney representative. Unfortunately (in most cases), the information you retrieve from various websites isn't very reliable...

-M

Jadetiger
03-27-2007, 06:46 PM
We aren't allowed to give any information about our forthcoming films. You'll just have to wait for official released information by a Disney representative. Unfortunately (in most cases), the information you retrieve from various websites isn't very reliable...

-M

Had a feeling, but thought I'd ask anyway. If you know of any articles or sites, that are more accurate, I'd love to know about them. Cheers. :)

jewalker
03-28-2007, 03:46 PM
You can find out more information on American Dog from the Disney Annual Shareholders meeting:
http://amedia.disney.go.com/investorrelations/presentations/2007_annual_meeting_transcript.pdf

John Lasseter begins talking on page 21 and the American Dog information begins on page 26.

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2007, 03:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.