PDA

View Full Version : questions about Vue clouds...

sugg
03-26-2007, 03:45 AM
Hello all.... I have been looking at Vue to see how it works for clouds and skys. I'm interested in high atmosphere clouds, low puffy cumulus clouds, perhaps fog too. -And can multiple forms of these clouds be placed in the same scene?
I have spent some time in Lightwave. Can comparable results be achieved in this application using hypervoxels? I'd like to learn a sky/ landscape dedicated app if they really have efficient tools to help create the natural surroundings (esp. skys and clouds!)
Thanks

BernieStafford
03-28-2007, 10:36 PM
I have no experience or knowledge of Lightwave, but a quick look around the galleries at Renderosity & Cornucopia will show you some of the capabilities of the new Vue Spectral Atmosphere engine.

Here are two examples by myself:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1408680&member

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1408680&member

In both images the sky & clouds are straight out of Vue 6 Infinite - post-pro only for colour adjustment.

Hope this answers your question!! :)

sugg
03-30-2007, 04:25 AM
Bernie - great sci fi images.... In your Renderosity galleries, you have an image called Minas Mor II - the description says you did this in Terragen. The high clouds in that image - did you do those in Terragen, and how would you compare the two apps, Terragen and Vue? Also, thanks for the two references for those sites...

BernieStafford
03-30-2007, 05:44 PM
The clouds in Minas Mor II are pure Terragen - that is TG 0.9, the free version, not the TGD Preview.

Comparing TG with Vue is a bit like comparing a VW Polo with an Aston Martin - there are similarities, but there are also huge differences!! :) I don't want to start a "mine is better than yours" flame here, but this is my personal take on it.

The free version of TG (which I have been using since about V4 I think) is a superb landscape renderer, with awesome atmospheric capabilities. The built-in landscape generator is however somewhat limited, which is why programmes such as World Machine & GeoControl are popular. It can also of course use DEM files for recreating real world areas. However it cannot import 3D objects such as grass, trees, buildings etc. The TGD Technology Preview can import objects, and has a vastly improved capability when it comes to clouds. See here for some examples:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/gallery/f/tg2

TG2 is a "teaser" for the full-blown next generation Terragen, although no-one seems to know exactly when that is likely to be released. When it is, it promises to be a very powerful programme which will give current programmes a run for their money.

Vue is a full-blown 3D landscape generator - although it's capabilities obviously go far beyond just landscapes. It has a powerful function driven terrain generator, which is capable of some very impressive results. In it's latest version the atmosphere & cloud capabilities have been vastly improved, and now have tremendous potential. Vue can also import a huge range of 3D objects, including - importantly - Poser figures. The Materials Editor is also function driven, which gives it some very powerful capabilities.

Really, until the full version of TG2 is released, you can't do a fair comparison between the two, because they are so different. At the end, it all comes down to what specifically you want to do! They are both excellent progs - just very different!!! :thumbsup:

sugg
03-31-2007, 05:33 AM
Big time thanks for this info Bernie...

techmage
04-02-2007, 10:56 PM
The terragen 2 tech demo is quite awesome, if terragen 2 becomes developed enough to support intefacing with Maya like xstream and automated intelligent distribution of trees like ecosystem, I would not hesitate going to it. I would go so far to say that whats in the tg2 demo already is a step ahead of Vue, it's all runs off a 100% object oriented structure like Maya, the renderer is also suprisingly fast. But the demo is buggy and lacking alot of functionality right now that disallows it to be used in full production. I did find it very usable for the sake of making 360 panoramic enviroment maps though. Which if all you want is skies and clouds in light wave then 360 panoramas from tg2 may work out just fine.

Gitch
04-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Where is the vegitation? sure terrigan 2 is pretty but where are the plants? That is a big difference. This thread has gone off track.

marcob
04-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Terragen 2 preview CAN load x-frog plants, but it is not as ecossystem vue. As was well said before it is not fair to compare the both now. It is a lot easy to work with Vue and the last build is awesome and you feel it more controlable than TG. But procedural surface layers render quality and atmosphere are more "realistic" achieved in terragen (0.9 or TGD). But it is just my opinion.

bruno021
04-13-2007, 01:27 PM
To answer sugg's question, yes it is possible to add as many volumeric (cloud) layers as you want ( well, as many as your machine can handle, more like), and edit their appearance not only in the atmosphere editor, but in the function editor as well.

I don't own Lightwave, so I can't help about hypervoxels. But I know that if you're only interested in Vue atmospheres, you can buy the Ozone 3 plug in for LW ( it's the Vue atmospherics engine to use in your LW scenes), or you can get Vue 6 xStream for LW, which is a Vue plug in that lets you load, create & edit Vue scenes right inside LW. A PLE version of Vue6 Infinite and xStream is out now, so I suggest you download it, and see for yourself if it's what you need.

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2007, 01:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.